Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Hershey's Kisses
Junior Member+

Name: Kara
Default Do I have OCD ?

I think I might. I always am worried when I leave the house if the dooor is closed, if the bathroom is clean, and I'm afraid at night if I didn't lock the doors someone is going to break in. When I take a test, I have to check my answers over and over. I have to check my clothes to make sure they have no stains. DO you think I might have a touch of OCD ? Also, when I eat I count the amount of food/ candy I have left. I get up and frequently go to see if the doors are locked at night . When I take a test, I have to make sure I have sharpened pencils and plently of erasers. If I need to write a paper, I need to make sure I have enough paper. If I am leaving the house, I Have to make sure the bathroom door is closed so my cat doesn't drink the toilet water. Advice ?
Hershey's Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: Do I have OCD ?

It's quite mild it sounds like, if you do. With the things you describe however, you could just simply have some OCD characteristics like a lot of people. Sure, some of those things are symptoms, but there's nothing there that is blatantly OCD (like extreme compulsive hand-washing, obsession with numbers in general and/or a specific number, very traditionally OCD things). My mum is a huge worry wart like that as well. But hers is generalized anxiety disorder. I tend to even convince myself that I left the door unlocked, left the cooker on, and such, just like my mum, but instead I'm diagnosed OCD and I have an obsession with the numbers five and nine, an obsession with hand sanitizer, intrusive thoughts and I fear that bad things will happen if I don't have complete control over various different things.

Best thing to do if you want to know if you have OCD, is to go to a doctor for an opinion. Though diagnosing a condition is usually with the intent to treat it, and a lot of people with milid anxiety disorders choose to not receive treatment because, well, they're mild. People with worse anxiety disorders that interfere with their daily life, school/work, and ability to function usually seek medication and therapy for their anxiety.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
cmdexe

It sounds like mild OCD, yes. Whether it is or not matters little -- what matters is, is it affecting you? Is it disrupting your day? Are you spending significant amounts of time checking things, or worrying about them?

If you don't think it's significant at the moment, then I wouldn't worry. The lines betwix being a perfectionist and having OCD are fuzzy at best, and if you don't feel like there's a problem then don't treat it like one. However, if you think that it really is inferring with your life, then I would go see a doctor. They know better than we do, and if there is a problem, they can help you fix it.

hope this helps :3
cmdexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Hershey's Kisses
Junior Member+

Name: Kara

I often fear bad things are going ti happen to me if I dont control it, and I am obsessed with chap stick and if I don't have chap stick , I freak put . But I don't think it's really that bad and thank you for the advice .
Hershey's Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote