Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Do You Tell People About Your ADHD?
yes 18 47.37%
no 7 18.42%
I am not bothered if people find out 12 31.58%
people know an dmake fun of me for it 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:54 AM   #1
maisy

Name: Maisy
Default ADHD and are you open about it?

I have been taking my ADHD medication concerta for a long time now. It really helps me focus and whenever I forget to take it I can tell because I cannot focus oon anything at all! I dont know if its just that I have matured or its because of the concerta but I remember I used to be so much more outgoing and less afraid to do things. I miss the old me but whenever I dont take my concerta I legit act llike I am drunk. Doe sthis happen to anyone else? also when I first started taking the medicine up until 6th grade I didnt really want people to know because I thought people would call me retarted and just act different towards me. Around Five of my close friends know I take it and now I am not so secretive about taking it. Did this happen to you??
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #2
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri
Default Re: ADHD and are you open about it?

well i do not have ADHD personaly but my cousin does and he act very mature infact i never see him act like some of the standard steroyo types that u get with ADHD the meds really do work you could pass him in the street and think that he has not got ADHD i guess everyones diffrent

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Zenithar

Zenithar's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy View Post
I have been taking my ADHD medication concerta for a long time now. It really helps me focus and whenever I forget to take it I can tell because I cannot focus oon anything at all! I dont know if its just that I have matured or its because of the concerta but I remember I used to be so much more outgoing and less afraid to do things. I miss the old me but whenever I dont take my concerta I legit act llike I am drunk. Doe sthis happen to anyone else? also when I first started taking the medicine up until 6th grade I didnt really want people to know because I thought people would call me retarted and just act different towards me. Around Five of my close friends know I take it and now I am not so secretive about taking it. Did this happen to you??
I once took concerta. It had a side effect similar to depression... I've been described as "zombie-like" whilst I was on it.
Vyvanse is a good solution.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #4
last browncoat

last browncoat's Forum Picture

Name: john
Post Re: ADHD and are you open about it?

Me? Im diffrent first I am not very open about it ... this is very hard
this and an speeh problem that I mostly fixed are part of what
messed up my life. It made me an outcast, I try to fit in but its
hard and I hate it. To make matters worse I lost the one person
in my school I KNEW I could trust. I feel as if all my life I have
been giving and not reciving from alot of people... this is the hardesy
subject for me to talk abouteven online. the reason why I have
been hurt so many times by so many people, thats why.

The Last Browncoat
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Dorsum Oppel
Great Poster

Dorsum Oppel's Forum Picture

Name: Frog-queen Neknekti

Why would you be scared to tell people? It's not a big deal, at all.
It's not like I go out of the way to inform people, but I might say it if the topic comes up.

Lets leave the sound of the heat for the sound of the rain
Its easy to sleep when it wets my brain
But restless is causeless and I cannot hide
So much of my mind that it spills outside

THE PARABLES
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Andrewa
Banned

Name: Oisin

im ADHD but i dont take meds
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
PartyPoison

PartyPoison's Forum Picture

Name: Gee

Im 17 have add, don't take any meds, and I'm very open about it. My friends make fun of me for it in a loving way.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Comatose
Junior Member+

Comatose's Forum Picture

Name: Joely

I am as open to it as I am to telling people my name/age etc. If somebody asks, they find out, or if it slips into conversation.... I do not tell everyone, as I do not find it necessary to tell everyone "hey, I have ADHD!"

However, I am not ashamed of it, I do not try to hide it. I've been treated and medicated for it ever since I was about 4, so no big deal for me, it's something I've grown up with, and something both my parents and 3 siblings also have.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #9
JRwulf64

JRwulf64's Forum Picture

Name: Joey

i used to take concerta and it didnt work for me. and it also took a while to figure out that it wasnt working like it should so i then started taking Vyvance and it works for me. Im not really open about it, only a few select people know about it and i like to keep it private. Especially because im one of the smart kids in my grade so im affraid that if people found out that i would get made fun of alot.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Voodoo
Member++

Voodoo's Forum Picture

Name: Sean

I'm 100% open about mine.

If you need someone to talk to or even ask questions to, I've been there done that. Don't be afraid to hit me up.

The truth hurts, get over it.

Proud member of the NRA and GOP.
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #11
PandaBear
Junior Member+

PandaBear's Forum Picture

Name: Jon

With a lot of people, you can sort of tell they have it, especially if they have a difficult time focusing or act really immaturely. I'm open about mine, mainly because it's pretty obvious I have it a lot of the time, and people wonder why I act the way I do. It's not really a big deal to me, it's not as if having ADD/ADHD is really frowned upon as much as something like being gay or something, so I don't see any reason to be embarrassed about having it.

By the way, I take adderall for my ADHD, and it usually works pretty well... doesn't make me too much like a zombie, and let's me get a bit of my hyperactivity out when it starts wearing off a bit, while still being able to focus.

GovChat Chat Moderator.
("PandaBear", "Stealth")
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Rebelion

Rebelion's Forum Picture

Name: Zack

You will be supprised
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Xilo
Junior Member+

Xilo's Forum Picture

Name: Ammon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenithar View Post
I once took concerta. It had a side effect similar to depression... I've been described as "zombie-like" whilst I was on it.
Vyvanse is a good solution.
Well I am ADHD and Proud of it! I used to take concerta. It wasn't zombie like to me, just took away my appetite. but I now take Vyvance (Lisdexamphetamine Dimesyla) And I have my appetite and It works great!

Also, I used to be serverly hyper, when I was like two or something, and I would run around the room, out the door, and I was uncontrollably hyper, so my mom took me to a phychiatrist, and he prescribed medicine for me, (Riddelyn at least I think that was what it was called.) and I was just fascinated with the world around me. I was extremely amazed with all the colors and things I hadn't noticed about the world around me. And as a result, I am very intelligent. I am going to college for the second term during next school year. Although I have to remember to take my medicine, or else I am a spaz-ball.

As to being open about it, I always tell people I have ADHD, not right off the bat of course, as long as I tell them that I take medicine that helps me focus and takes my hyperactivity away.

The stereotypes are really annoying. You know the joke: "I don't have ADHD it's just that... oh look, a rabbit!" That is completely opposite of how ADHD people are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRwulf64 View Post
i used to take concerta and it didnt work for me. and it also took a while to figure out that it wasnt working like it should so i then started taking Vyvance and it works for me. Im not really open about it, only a few select people know about it and i like to keep it private. Especially because im one of the smart kids in my grade so im affraid that if people found out that i would get made fun of alot.
And Jrwulf64, like I said, I am also one of the smart kids in my class, and a few people don't talk to me much because I am so smart, not cause of the ADHD. It's ok though It's not that big of a deal. Usually people that have a specific "mental illness", excell. Like Temple Grandin. Google her. I choose to be open about it but if you don't, then it's up to you.

WATCH OUT HERE COMEZ............... XILO!!!!!

I love music, play the violin, piano, and trumpet. ♪♫♪♪♫
I and 15, straight, and LDS

PM me!

Last edited by Xilo; August 9th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #14
HungAndYoung

im open to friends
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #15
MalditoDia
Member++

MalditoDia's Forum Picture

Name: Dayo

I've tooken most of those medicines and they worked. The last onei took was riffelin and I was a zombie. Now I don't take any meds and when people ask what's wrong I just say shit, nuthn. I tell everybody I have it when I hang with them. I love being difrent in a way and I'm always glad I have my. Back up system. Other people with it!!!!!!
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #16
NotAfraid

Name: Ally
Wink Re: ADHD and are you open about it?

It's just not something I flaunt about. I also think that the ADD is a "gift" is a load of s***. ADD is not a gift, no more than not being able to walk or blindness is a gift. Does it mean that we can't be creative and intelligent? Sure. If someone asks, I tell them, and I tell them the blunt truth.
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #17
meme1255

I have ADHD and I'm not closed about that - But I usually tell that I have it only when I know them for some time ...

PS: ADHD really is not gift , it's just making problems sometimes - For example you talk too much and others don't like you for that because they cannot imagine that - As you cannot imagine for ex. being blind...
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Sadworld

Sadworld's Forum Picture

Name: Serge

Well, I don't mind if people know about my ADHD. They don't treat me any different, either because they never knew me any different or they don't care. Either ways I don't mind.

I took meds before, Strattera, but stop because I was something like a bad patient. I didn't took it regularly, which I'm regretting now. I can't concentrate on my work. Probably will start taking it again.
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #19
fancy

fancy's Forum Picture

Name: Eric

i have adhd who cares i am open about it . i have taken pills for it but it made me worse then i am off them.i do not take it any more i am very mucher . i have ancity too i have alot of menta isus and that stuff. and in german
Ich habe ADHS, wer ich bin offen darber Sorgen. Ich habe Pillen fr sie genommen, aber es machte mich noch schlimmer, dann bin ich weg them.i nehmen Sie es nicht mehr i sehr Mucher bin. Ich habe ancity auch ich habe eine Menge von menta isus und das Zeug

my name is Eric , i am 13 , i am bi , and it is fun
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #20
canadaski
Member++

I try not to tell people about it, particularly teachers. The only reason is that it often sounds like I'm trying to use it as an excuse, even though it is the culprit for my lower than average grades. I've had it pretty bad for awhile but am not medicated.
Closed Thread