Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
love is louder
Member++

love is louder's Forum Picture

Name: Kayleigh
Default anxiety?..

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place but i dont know where else to put it.
as some of you know i have recently started therapy for my self harm and my dreams. i have recently discovered that i am on a list for a higher therapist because my issues go higher than my current therapist is willing to deal with.

basically what she has found out from my self harm and telling her about my dreams is that i am increadably anxious.
i didnt know this as i thought i was one of the most laid back people i know
apparently that is my problem.

i got told this then told that i am on the waiting list and between then and now i just have to wait. which is actually, in effect, making me really anxious!

i guess what i want to know is has anyone else went through therapy for this and if so what is it like and what type of things do they ask?

But when we turn out the lights its all the same darkness...
love is louder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #2
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia
Default Re: anxiety?..

Well, I'm in CBT at the moment, which is used to treat people with a lot of anxiety issues. I always knew I had some sort of problem, but I never reaslised that it was anxiety. I always thought I was just freaking out all the time, and it turns out, that was anxiety.

When you say you're going to a higher therapist, do you mean you're going to a different type of therapy all together?

I think CBT and DBT are the most common types of therapy to help with anxiety problems.

I can't tell you what they'll ask, because it varies. It'll probably be an evaluation first, and they'll probably ask roughly the same questions they did in the first session you had with your current therapist.
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3
SilentlyCrying
Junior Member+

SilentlyCrying's Forum Picture

Name: Bree

I went to therapy for self harm, and my therapist sucked. After three visits of her just repeating herself asking if there were other people in my school who did it, she told me that I didn't need to go back. Boy, was she wrong.
So then I began seeing my guidance counselor at school who is licensed in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I've been making slow progress with it, but still progress nonetheless. She found out I had anxiety, and we're working on it.
My actual therapist asked questions like, "Who else self harmed?", "Do you keep many secrets?", and "Does your family communicate well?" Really, it's all just basic stuff. No biggy. Although, it's best to answer clearly and truthfully. It also takes a while. It took a total of 3 or 4 sessions with my guidance counselor for her to determine what to do.

It's probably not a good idea to be chewing on a toothpick if you're talking to the president, because what if he tells a funny joke and you laugh so hard you spit the toothpick out and it hits him in the face or something.
SilentlyCrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #4
love is louder
Member++

love is louder's Forum Picture

Name: Kayleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiamay View Post
Well, I'm in CBT at the moment, which is used to treat people with a lot of anxiety issues. I always knew I had some sort of problem, but I never reaslised that it was anxiety. I always thought I was just freaking out all the time, and it turns out, that was anxiety.

When you say you're going to a higher therapist, do you mean you're going to a different type of therapy all together?
i had no idea i was anxious until she said. it still hasnt really hit home but im starting to pick up on little things and seeing how it relates back as for your question the one i have at the moment said she doesnt get paid enough to deal with my situation and i have been refered to her colleague that gets like 35 a hour for doing it. lucky woman. well when she gets round to seeing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentlyCrying View Post
My actual therapist asked questions like, "Who else self harmed?", "Do you keep many secrets?", and "Does your family communicate well?" Really, it's all just basic stuff. No biggy.
These are the types of questions i am totally afraid of. looks like this therapy thing might take a while!

But when we turn out the lights its all the same darkness...
love is louder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5
SometimesThere
Junior Member+

SometimesThere's Forum Picture

Name: Maggie

Although I don't go to a therapist for anxiety, my sister does. And while my sister refuses to go to great depths in telling me what goes on during those sessions, she had gotten a lot better.

From the bits and pieces that I gathered, I think they generally ask you very general sort of questions - how is school, personal life, as well as asking about your anxiety.

If you're uncomfortable about anything, just say so to the therapist. Definitely don't lie about something, and hope the therapist will then skip over. Though some therapists might not be the world's best therapist around, I found they do mean well.
SometimesThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
SilentlyCrying
Junior Member+

SilentlyCrying's Forum Picture

Name: Bree

@Dark Defender
It's no biggy, although, I can't say much, because I lied my way through...

It's probably not a good idea to be chewing on a toothpick if you're talking to the president, because what if he tells a funny joke and you laugh so hard you spit the toothpick out and it hits him in the face or something.
SilentlyCrying is offline   Reply With Quote