Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 10th, 2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Default Beginner help

Hi!
I am a beginner in photography and want to start to get better, especially in the black and white style. My end goal is to take pictures of my friends and people who I know and who I find beautiful and collate them into a book. The photographs in this book will showcase individuality, different types of beauty, and just a strong sense of identity.

Of course, I need to learn how to get better at photography, so what is your advice?

Any courses or books to read?
Any general tips?
Thanks!

I'm suffering my quarter-life crisis 10 years premature but hopefully I'll find a way and be ok. Don't be afraid to chat, I'm open to every experience and opinion!
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 03:13 AM   #2
rOcKeT_

rOcKeT_'s Forum Picture

Name: Boyd
Default Re: Beginner help

photography seems pretty cool to me, I guess any tips for him would help me too
rOcKeT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 03:41 AM   #3
hayley2003
Member++

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley

i think flickr.com has the coolest pictures on the internet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/bnw

Last edited by hayley2003; July 10th, 2018 at 03:50 AM.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

I would definitely recommend investing time into learning about the different cameras, parts of a camera, what they do, etc. And learning very technical things such as exposure, scenario, time and space and how that effects a subject or what you’re photographing. You can find many beginner photography videos on YouTube but I would definitely just recommend learning the technical aspects of it first and foremost, and then going out and just taking pictures as much as possible.

I don’t know if you have a camera already, and if you don’t and want to be serious about photography, I would advise investing in one. Remember that cameras aren’t cheap and for a beginner you definitely don’t need a $2,000 camera. Once you know the different parts of a camera and what you want to be photographing, it should help tremendously with knowing what type of camera to get.

And when you do finally start to go out and take pictures, keep the technical aspects in mind, but don’t forget the creative side of it. And don’t forget that not every photo is gonna be perfect. In a set of 100 pictures, there may be only 5 that you like. And in that 5 that you like, there are only 3 you’re gonna go through the trouble of editing. And in those 3 there’s only 1 that you will end up sharing or uploading. And that’s okay. Art isn’t meant to be perfect so don’t worry !

"The head may err, but never the blood.Ē
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #5
IntoTheShadows
Member+

Youtube is your friend.

There are many full length courses you can follow, here is just one of many.

Harvard lecture series on photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B...PSgOwVnHvQ3zQT

Just a simple search for photography on youtube brings up a ton of useful videos and channels

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=photography+

If there is anything I am interested, regardless of subject I always search for (subject name)Lecture and find wealths of information.
IntoTheShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #6
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellia View Post
Youtube is your friend.

There are many full length courses you can follow, here is just one of many.

Harvard lecture series on photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B...PSgOwVnHvQ3zQT

Just a simple search for photography on youtube brings up a ton of useful videos and channels

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=photography+

If there is anything I am interested, regardless of subject I always search for (subject name)Lecture and find wealths of information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mars View Post
I would definitely recommend investing time into learning about the different cameras, parts of a camera, what they do, etc. And learning very technical things such as exposure, scenario, time and space and how that effects a subject or what youíre photographing. You can find many beginner photography videos on YouTube but I would definitely just recommend learning the technical aspects of it first and foremost, and then going out and just taking pictures as much as possible.

I donít know if you have a camera already, and if you donít and want to be serious about photography, I would advise investing in one. Remember that cameras arenít cheap and for a beginner you definitely donít need a $2,000 camera. Once you know the different parts of a camera and what you want to be photographing, it should help tremendously with knowing what type of camera to get.

And when you do finally start to go out and take pictures, keep the technical aspects in mind, but donít forget the creative side of it. And donít forget that not every photo is gonna be perfect. In a set of 100 pictures, there may be only 5 that you like. And in that 5 that you like, there are only 3 youíre gonna go through the trouble of editing. And in those 3 thereís only 1 that you will end up sharing or uploading. And thatís okay. Art isnít meant to be perfect so donít worry !
Thank guys!
I think I might purchase a film camera to begin with because there's a few used cheap ones on Gumtree (a second-hand site) that are in good quality. I heard that taking photos with film cameras is good because you really have to think about the shot and it's very classic and about the fundamentals.
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V which my mum got a few years ago, and it's really amazing for digital photograhy (not a DSLR but good for a beginner like me), and once I learn technical aspects, I can apply them to that camera too. How does that sound?
I'll have a look at those courses, thanks!

I'm suffering my quarter-life crisis 10 years premature but hopefully I'll find a way and be ok. Don't be afraid to chat, I'm open to every experience and opinion!
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote