Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:24 PM   #21
Ben7
Member+
 
Join Date: August 15, 2016
Location: West Coast, US
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Yep I have always stood for the pledge for the simple reason that this is my country and I have great respect for it.
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #22
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
The kind of labeling and judgment that goes around re. this issue is all quite absurd and unfair.



I'm not so sure about that.

I have heard a lot of noise that those who chose to take a knee are un-American, unpatriotic, and/or insulting to the military and veterans. There's quite a bit of judgment against people who do so, enough that the president took it upon himself to call these people out as "sons of bitches".
I basically agree with you (though I don't ever quote our President and don't think what he says reflects the American people).

My issue, and it really is not what I responded to, was people saying those who boycotted Kaepernick were violating his right to free speech, when in fact, their boycott was their expression of free speech, just as his taking a knee was his expression of free speech.
And players who subsequently refused to take a knee or spectators who stood, were accused of being racist. I think both those actions are very narrow-minded.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 06:43 PM   #23
Jessica.lang19
Member
 
Jessica.lang19's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jessica
Join Date: February 14, 2013
Location: Newport Beach
Gender: Female
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Stand proud!!!!
Likes: (1)
Jessica.lang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 07:04 PM   #24
ashleigh7
Great Poster
 
ashleigh7's Forum Picture
 
Name: ashleigh
Join Date: March 7, 2015
Location: Denver
Gender: Female
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

We absolutely do!!....stand...and I'm wearing a hat...hat comes off.
ashleigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 10:43 PM   #25
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigh7 View Post
We absolutely do!!....stand...and I'm wearing a hat...hat comes off.
I may be mistaken, but I believe the hat off thing is only for men.
Just like it's considered impolite for men to wear a hat in the house, but it's fine for women.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 11:42 PM   #26
ashleigh7
Great Poster
 
ashleigh7's Forum Picture
 
Name: ashleigh
Join Date: March 7, 2015
Location: Denver
Gender: Female
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe the hat off thing is only for men.
Just like it's considered impolite for men to wear a hat in the house, but it's fine for women.
Iím not sure if that was something in the past???? But both my parents are in the military and they told me on the pledge of allegiance my hat comes off ..no matter what my hair looks like and the national anthem. I mean Iím not an authority or anything...Iím just saying what my parents told me
ashleigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 11:54 PM   #27
LiberalTurboprop
Member++
 
LiberalTurboprop's Forum Picture
 
Name: Connor
Join Date: March 24, 2019
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
And players who subsequently refused to take a knee or spectators who stood, were accused of being racist. I think both those actions are very narrow-minded.
I didn't see much of that. I saw much, much more of Kaepernick being called unAmerican and stuff like that.
LiberalTurboprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 06:09 AM   #28
Jason_d3
Member
 
Name: Jason
Join Date: January 27, 2019
Location: ny
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

definitely stand
Jason_d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #29
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

They don't do that in Serbia. It happened during the communist times when every child would swear an oath to the party and the Marshall.

The whole idea of pledging loyalty or allegiance to a state just because you are expected to is dumb. Sure, pledge your life towards a government, but what will that same government pledge to you?

I only stand when a national anthem is being recited at events, being Serbia's or some other country's as a sign of respect to my or other peoples.

Now it could be me viewing it from Serbia's perspective where essentially every person is a cog in the machinery that makes the ruling 'elite' richer. I don't owe anything to them.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:15 AM   #30
flogrown2001
Member
 
Name: Thomas
Join Date: June 15, 2017
Location: FL
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Stand 100%! It's about having respect for your country and taking pride in being an American.
flogrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 12:04 AM   #31
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberalTurboprop View Post
I didn't see much of that. I saw much, much more of Kaepernick being called unAmerican and stuff like that.
I think your screenname probably explains the reason you didn't see much of that.

I can tell you first hand there were plenty of editorials and comments about it.
We're very PC is the US and not unconditionally supporting someone who claims to be oppressed and their actions against that is very un-PC.

otoh, I never heard of kaepernick being called unAmerican. I heard people say it was disrespectful to veterans and others who fought for his right to express himself in that way, but not that he was unAmerican.

Ironically, as I posted above, many people said those who boycotted kaepernick were violating his right of free speech, not realizing they were doing the same thing he was. (and of course ignorant of the fact that Free Speech has to do with the government, not anything in the private sector).
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 12:06 AM   #32
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigh7 View Post
Iím not sure if that was something in the past???? But both my parents are in the military and they told me on the pledge of allegiance my hat comes off ..no matter what my hair looks like and the national anthem. I mean Iím not an authority or anything...Iím just saying what my parents told me
If your parents are in the military and they say that, I'll defer to them.
I stand corrected.
Likes: (1)
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:20 PM   #33
Tim the Enchanter
Great Poster
 
Tim the Enchanter's Forum Picture
 
Name: Timothy
Join Date: December 6, 2017
Location: Neverland
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

I always stand during the pledge and national anthem like during games and such, itís just because Iím proud to be an American. I want to show respect for all veterans who fought for this country, whether they be veterans in my family or other families across the country.


JUST TIM
Also known as, the hash-slinging slasher


Likes: (2)
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #34
JQL---
Member
 
JQL---'s Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 14, 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 13
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Flag on my wall.
Flag screensaver.
Flag pin on my suit.
National Anthem waking me up.
I stand for the National Anthem whenever and wherever I hear it, even if it's on the neighbor's television (far too loud) for some sports game I'm not watching.
I'm pretty darn patriotic.

However, I don't think it's "inherited". My parents aren't all that patriotic, nor is anybody in my family. They don't even pay any mind when they hear our glorious Anthem.

Kinda dumb, but a good enough actor to appear smart.
JQL--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #35
GeorgeOrwell
Junior Member+
 
GeorgeOrwell's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 27, 2019
Location: Orlando
Gender: Male
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

No, I don't stand for the pledge for multiple reasons.
Ever since I was in high school (I'm 20 now), I have never stood or said the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States. It's not out of disrespect or rebellion, contrary to what everybody around me probably thinks when I stay seated as they all stand. I don't wave my middle finger at the flag or goof around on my phone; I just sit quietly and wait for it to be over. I have no problem if other people want to say the pledge. They can agree to be loyal to the United States if they want; it really doesn't matter to me.

Why should I pledge my allegiance to a country? Is it not enough to pay my taxes and vote in elections? I'm not going to work as a spy for another country and I have no plans to become an expat. I just won't say the pledge. My country, like all other countries, is imperfect and has made plenty of terrible mistakes. Why should I declare my dedication to a country that will no doubt make more mistakes in the future? Why should I have to say that I'll support my country no matter what actions it takes?
GeorgeOrwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #36
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Americans: Do you stand for the pledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeOrwell View Post
No, I don't stand for the pledge for multiple reasons.
Ever since I was in high school (I'm 20 now), I have never stood or said the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States. It's not out of disrespect or rebellion, contrary to what everybody around me probably thinks when I stay seated as they all stand. I don't wave my middle finger at the flag or goof around on my phone; I just sit quietly and wait for it to be over. I have no problem if other people want to say the pledge. They can agree to be loyal to the United States if they want; it really doesn't matter to me.

Why should I pledge my allegiance to a country? Is it not enough to pay my taxes and vote in elections? I'm not going to work as a spy for another country and I have no plans to become an expat. I just won't say the pledge. My country, like all other countries, is imperfect and has made plenty of terrible mistakes. Why should I declare my dedication to a country that will no doubt make more mistakes in the future? Why should I have to say that I'll support my country no matter what actions it takes?
I see it as a tribute for the dead who came before, and nothing more.

Like, it just feels false to say you expect perfection to begin with, in order to say a pledge.

But if you donít want to I donít see it as a big deal either, but it seems like a behavior that by not doing it it inadvertently puts doubt on your character because people canít read minds.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2019
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org