Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 17th, 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default April 2018 400th Consecutive Month With Temperatures Above Average

400th consecutive month and 3rd warmest April on record, even with record breaking cold temperatures in parts of North America. That doesn't sound good

Quote:
Record and near-record-warm temperatures were felt across Europe and from Argentina to Australia, making it the third hottest April on record globally.

Lets see how the Earth fared last month and for the year to date, according to NOAAs latest monthly global climate analysis:

Climate by the numbers
April 2018
The average global temperature for April 2018 was 1.49 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 56.7 degrees. This was the third highest for April in the 139-year record (18802018). Nine of the 10 warmest Aprils have occurred since 2005. April 2018 also marks the 42nd consecutive April and the 400th consecutive month with temperatures above the 20th-century average.

The year to date | January through April 2018
The year-to-date average global temperature was 1.37 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 54.8 degrees. This was the fifth warmest average temperature for the year to date on record and the coolest such period since 2014. The years 2015, 2016 and 2017 ranked among the three warmest year to date periods on record.More notable climate facts and stats
Minimal sea ice at the poles

The average Arctic sea ice coverage (extent) in April was 6.8 percent below the 1981-2010 average, ranking it the second smallest extent since records began in 1979.

Antarctic sea ice coverage in April was 12.3 percent below average and the fifth smallest on record for April.

Warmer-than-average lands and oceans

The globally averaged, land surface temperature ranked ninth warmest for April and sixth warmest for the year to date (through April).

The globally averaged sea surface temperature was fourth warmest for April and fifth warmest for the year to date.

South America and Europe led the continents in warmth rankings

South America and Europe had their warmest April on record; Oceania, its second; Africa, its fifth; Asia, its ninth; and North America, its 94th (where 2018 tied with 1918 as 15th coldest).
http://www.noaa.gov/news/april-2018-...cord-for-globe

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #2
Dmaxd123
Member++

Default Re: April 2018 400th Consecutive Month With Temperatures Above Average

the earth is a living thing, constantly changing and evolving

the numbers are interesting but personally not alarming to me

YES i'm sure we as the human race have had some effect on the warming/cooling, but this certainly isn't the first warming spell the earth has ever seen and 1.5 degrees above the 20th century average really isn't that huge of a swing

not saying it's time to throw emissions out the window (as much as i'd like to see them reformed but that is a different topic) but not the end of the world either at this point since it's hard to say is it 1 degree from humans and 0.5 from natural changes or the other way around?
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 01:30 AM   #3
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
the earth is a living thing, constantly changing and evolving

the numbers are interesting but personally not alarming to me

YES i'm sure we as the human race have had some effect on the warming/cooling, but this certainly isn't the first warming spell the earth has ever seen and 1.5 degrees above the 20th century average really isn't that huge of a swing

not saying it's time to throw emissions out the window (as much as i'd like to see them reformed but that is a different topic) but not the end of the world either at this point since it's hard to say is it 1 degree from humans and 0.5 from natural changes or the other way around?
You've got to remember that this is not a uniform change: some places may have seen much higher changes whilst others would have seen less of a swing. I'd say more urban environments where emissions are high and constant, it's been much hotter but rural areas where few humans live have seen less of a change. That's how average temperatures work, after all.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM   #4
HeyCameron
Member++

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

The change couldn't be more obvious in California where we've had increasing drought and more destructive wildfires. 8 of the 10 worst wildfires in California history have happened in the past 20 years. I can only think it's going to get worse. That doesn't mean I think it's all man-made, but there is a change and it's depressing.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote