Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Should europe unite into one country?
Yes 4 22.22%
No 13 72.22%
don't know or don't care 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #21
serial-thrilla
VT Lover

Default Re: United Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIsailer19
because of what i said? i dont really know why you quoted me, if i changed your mind because of me being patriotic (and somewhat egotistical) to the US then sorry. i dont know why you quoted me though.

just like you love Ireland, i love the United States. and while i'm not european and dont fully care what happens there, i do agree with you. Ireland, (and all the other EU nations), should keep their independence. thats one thing i dont like about north america, your either mexican, american, or canadian, there isnt much diversity. in europe however, there are tons of different types of cultures all over the continent. the united states is sort of what europe might be like, in terms of having all the states. it seems weird, france, italy, ireland, etc, would just be states.
theres a difference between patriotism and just plain arrogance.
serial-thrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #22
LIsailer19
Member++

LIsailer19's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial-thrilla
theres a difference between patriotism and just plain arrogance.
thats true, and i'll admit to being the classic "arrogant (and patriotic) american asshole."

--------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by *}Whisper{*
Okay first
Bush isnt soley responsible i mean i dont like him either but its not ONE MAN that has fucked the entire american economy this has been a result of ALLOT of areas of the government, both parties and more then one president

and I siad canada is dependant on america
i never denied that

second
America is dependant on Canada with
oil
natural gas
uranium
grain
soft wood lumber
nickel
zinc
gold
diamonds
fresh water
Aluminum
Lead
etc.....(the list is really long)

its funny
your psycotic about the oil deposits in the middle east because the american dollar is glued to oil
yet i havent meet a single american that gives a dam about the fact that canada is the number one exporter of oil and natual gas to america
we have more then the middle east
and were a hell of allot more stable

if the middle eas has a minor problem with a pipeline
say its damaged (blown up by psycotic terrorists)
or set on fire
even for a breif time the cost of fuel in america SKYROCKETS
imagine if Canada finnaly got sick of your shit and said fuck you

during the summer months allot of states have controled black outs inorder to conserve power and try to prevent a catastrophic cascading black out which would spread throughout the entire power grid like a plauge

allot of your power comes from canada
imagine if we just flipped a switch

Have you ever tried building a house with hardwood?

How about the largest amount of fresh water of which allot we send to america?

America depends on us allot more then it would care to admit
fucking arrogance
worse then quebec
let me start off by saying when you said more than one president, that was wrong. when our last president left office ,the american dollar was strong, and we had a 6 billion dollar surplus. bush made most of the decisions that put us into 438 billion dollars of debt. and while you are right and congress makes decisions too, in many cases, at the end of the day the deciding factor is the president.

next i want to say that the american dollar isnt glued to oil. americans dont go to the mall and buy oil. we're not obsessed with it like the whole world thinks we are. the reason oil prices skyrocket when pipe breaks in the middle east is because the corrupt oil comapnies are looking for any excuse to make money without regarding the enviormental or economic state of the country. the reason americans dont give a damn that canada exports oil to us, is because ameriacans dont know about it. and trust me, for canadians, that might be better. i can tell you from years of living in american greed and arrogance that if americans knew about canadas oil, the US would turn to canada, milk you guys dry, and drop you like a hot potato. its probably better to keep it quiet and let the american public continue to think that the gas sitting in their cars was once in the ground in saudi arabia. and i know that 85% of canadas exports are to the US, but that 85% of your exports only equals about 17% of our imports. 23% of the US's exports go to canada. That 23% is equal to 58% of your imports though. More than half of your imports come from the united states. Food, automoblies, medicine, industruial equiptment, telecommunications equiptment, etc. alot of americas needs are met domestically as well. the computer i'm typing on right now is being powered by electricity produced about 10 miles away in cold spring harbor, NY. the house im sitting in is built by material shipped from new england. the water that comes out of my tap is is from a water tower just down the road. the the food i eat is from california and other (mid) western states. all of that is american produced.

I think the bottom line is that both Canadians and Americans (in this case you and i) can agree that both countries are dependent on each other, and both play very important roles in the economic state each other, and of north america in general.

and now i'm done debating US vs Canada, lets get the debate back on topic...

Last edited by LIsailer19; June 29th, 2006 at 06:39 AM.
LIsailer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #23
Ravenous
Unregistered

Firstly I never want Europe to merge as one country, that would be disgusting. The EU and the Euro currency does have many advantages, but it also has its disadvantages. I don't want the UK to join the Euro, but the EU? I'm quite happy to stay in I guess.
You guys have taken this way off topic to a Canada VS America debate, look at the title "United Europe" so North America is irrelivant ok?
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #24
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie

I know were off topic its partly my fault we are
i've tried to bring it back on twice..its not working
so ima just gonna PM him probly

I can understand you not wanting it to all become one country
I just really like and respect the economic advantages of the European Union
I think it'd be cool if you could find a way to make it work even better
allow for more advantages
But I agree it merging to one country would suck
But how come you don't like the euro?

♫♪Κodie♪♫

Last edited by Whisper; June 29th, 2006 at 07:40 AM.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #25
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

i can see why you wouldnt want to join the Euro Tim, cause the Pound is a very powerful currency, like GBP£1 = €1.44, GBP£1 = US$1.81, GBP£1 = CAD$2.02. thats a mighty currency. it just not economically vaible for the UK to join yet, but i would love to see them join in the future considering Ireland do most trade with the UK and it is a bitch having to change currencies and an even bigger bitch when its been trading at roughly that price for the last few years.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #26
JunkBondTrader
Awesome Poster

JunkBondTrader's Forum Picture

Name: Felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar
because i am extremly patriotic to Ireland and love my country so much. the thoughts of it becoming a federal state just really sickens me. i want ireland to remain always a seperate country at all times, and never become a federal state.
Ireland becoming a state wouldn't make it any less distinctive. It's not the governing body that defines the individuality of a county (especially not in the case of you Irish ) it's the people in it. And let's face it, we're pretty much united already (not the UK and Ireland, the whole of EU). The EU is already more powerfil than the individual govornments of counties. Let it be, thats what I say. I like the idea of people being united.

It wouldn't destroy the US, you guys just wouldn't be the richest/most powerful country in the world anymore. No biggy.

It's me, Felix.
Name changes annoy everyone, I know.
JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #27
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

rEpReSsIoN.?'s Forum Picture

The reason I like the idea of a united Europe is the fact that Europe is made up of small countries like the UK and Ireland and are in competition with giants like China this might partially solved with the EU. But if the EU was the main government body think how strong Europe would be (not just lots of politicians who can?t get there voice across internationally, I didn?t know a few countries in Europe till like yesterday) and what a better standard of living everyone in Europe would have.
With federalism you can look after your own needs, and even without federalism u can keep your own traditions like the Welsh and the Cornish and the Scottish in the UK. People in Europe don't have that different cultures and ideals.
I'm more European than English even thou both my parents are English.

..........UK JOIN THE EURO...............

I wanna be there when you call
I wanna catch you when you fall
I wanna be the one you need
I wanna be the one you breathe
Today’s the day we’ll fade away

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...kkkkkkkkkk.jpg
orochimaru hehehe
rEpReSsIoN.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #28
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

this is prob my reason at the deepths of it all for not being too happy about become a federal state. ireland fought hard for hundreds of years to be free from oppression. we only got it the last century and to be honest i want to hang on to it as long as possible, and not just become part of a big country again. i'm proud to be Irish, and i will never call my self European.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #29
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

yay!!!!!!! someone agrees with me on the poll

Quote:
i will never call my self European.
But ireland is more european than lets say the uk for it has the euro and stuff. And we all are european basically becuase our relatives are from the mainland.

orochimaru hehehe
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #30
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

ireland has the euro, but thats about as more european as we get than you guys. u could also say we are all African cause we all came from there at one stage. dont get me wrong the EU is good at some things, it has helped develop Irelands economy, and make us a very rich. but the idea of a super state is not good.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #31
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

But europe would be so much better as a 'super state' it will proberly be the most powerful country in the worl,d and would shape the world with european values like america has done and look where that has got us now.

orochimaru hehehe
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #32
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

shape the world? we dont need to shape the world, that would disguist me even more if i thought we would do that. as we are we are already economically extremely powerful, we dont need anymore.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #33
Ravenous
Unregistered

Yeah Alex, the Pound Sterling is a very strong currency and I don't want to loose it.
I don't want to loose my indentity of being British, I don't want to call myself European. Sure having Europe as one country would give us a lot of worldwide power, but I don't think it is worth it. Europe is already a strong continent with the EU, we do not need to become a country. Our individuality is what we need.
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #34
LIsailer19
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEpReSsIoN.?
..........UK JOIN THE EURO...............
The UK isnt going to join the euro, i dont think. the british pound is the strongest currency in the world right now. if they just joined the euro, yes the euro would gain more power over the dollar, but the UK itself would loose money.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #35
Charlotte
Great Poster

I dont see a united europe happening. Too many cultural differences.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #36
LIsailer19
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blonde4emailzz
I dont see a united europe happening. Too many cultural differences.
yea thats another point i was trying to make. you would have people speaking french in part of it, spainish in another, norse in the north, and there would be just too much confusion. things should stay the way they are.
Old June 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #37
Bobby
Legendary Member

Bobby's Forum Picture

Name: Bobby

Ya think though. The U.S. has a bunch of spanish in the south. And people from different parts of the U.S. are all different.

"Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war."
-John McCain
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #38
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

Quote:
shape the world? we dont need to shape the world, that would disguist me even more if i thought we would do that. as we are we are already economically extremely powerful, we dont need anymore.
lol but the world would profit from a better europe would it not? ( i mean the world excluding europe)

orochimaru hehehe
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #39
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

well the world is already profiting from us having a single European market, i.e. no tarrifs, free movement of trade, capital and labour. thats as bout as good as the EU can do to make the rest of the world profit, i cant see it really doing any more.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM   #40
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

Also whats going to happen is a communist goverment is going to the most powerful country soon and we only have india to save us ... lol i sure india will do a gd job.

orochimaru hehehe