Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie
Exclamation Rowling hints at the death of Harry

J K Rowling, the creator of Harry Potter, yesterday gave the clearest indication yet that she might kill off the hero of her best-selling books.
She said that two main characters would die in the final book but that she had reprieved a third. She has always said that the series would last for only seven novels but it has not been clear whether Harry would survive. Rowling wrote the much awaited final chapter in 1990 but, speaking on the Richard and Judy show on Channel 4, she said it had been rewritten.

"One character got a reprieve but I have to say two die that I did not intend to die." When asked if the dead characters were "much-loved ones", she replied: "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras, do they? They go for the main characters. . . well, I do."
Rowling said she had never been tempted to kill off Harry before the end of the book but said she admired authors who bumped off their heroes.

"I completely understand the mentality of an author who thinks, 'Well I am going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels.' So after I am dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character. Agatha Christie did that with Poirot, didn't she?"

It was not clear whether, in talking about the doomed characters, she was referring to Harry, Hermione or Ron.

She said her eldest daughter, Jessica, 12, had been harassed at school by children eager for more information about the young magician.

♫♪Κodie♪♫
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Charlotte
Great Poster

Default Re: Rowling hints at the death of Harry

Noooooooooo!!!!!! Not harry
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

shit i meant to watch that interview today (yes i have nothing better to do than watch day time tv).

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #4
LIsailer19
Member++

LIsailer19's Forum Picture

i used to be really into harry potter, but not so much anymore. i still have to read the sixth book. i hope she decides not to kill any main characters though.
LIsailer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #5
renewedflame

renewedflame's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar
shit i meant to watch that interview today (yes i have nothing better to do than watch day time tv).
Alex thats all u ever do, watch daytime TV!
renewedflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #6
redcar
Retired Administrator

redcar's Forum Picture

well i will tell you, you actually learn a lot from day time tv, for example yesterday i learned how to make a nice sandwich!

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #7
northskater110
Awesome Poster

northskater110's Forum Picture

lol i dont like them..... KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

~grant
northskater110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #8
JunkBondTrader
Awesome Poster

JunkBondTrader's Forum Picture

Name: Felix

Had to happen. Harry Potter is meant to be dramatic and this is the best way to be dramatic.

It's me, Felix.
Name changes annoy everyone, I know.
JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9
rEpReSsIoN.?
Member+

rEpReSsIoN.?'s Forum Picture

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!
but it will be a gd read anyway, there is nothing better than a gd death!

I wanna be there when you call
I wanna catch you when you fall
I wanna be the one you need
I wanna be the one you breathe
Today’s the day we’ll fade away

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...kkkkkkkkkk.jpg
orochimaru hehehe
rEpReSsIoN.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Bobby
Legendary Member

Bobby's Forum Picture

Name: Bobby

O crap...... I'll save harry.

"Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war."
-John McCain
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #11
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

TheWizard's Forum Picture

No...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no... no...no...no...no...no...n

Josh

TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Dante
Legendary Member

I cant wait for the seventh book, but wow 2 characters die....i wonder hwo...I think one will def. be Ron.

If Any Member needs to talk to me about anything, Just PM me, the door is always open.

My blog: Blog...
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #13
Physicist
Banned

Physicist's Forum Picture

(possible spoilerific if you havn't read the first 6 books)

My thoughts are this: The way "Trelawney" predicted is open to interpretation. "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

So I think that means that at the same time both could die while neither survive. So what I thought was what if Harry was the last Horcrux Voldy ever made? Then Harry would either have to kill himself or be killed by Voldemort. But once Harry was dead, Voldy would die as well...

I'll do the math for you, too. Harry + Voldemort = 1 + 1 = 2

Last edited by Physicist; June 28th, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #14
Trademarked
Great Poster

Trademarked's Forum Picture

i was watching ET (entertainment tonight) and they said one of the 3 main characters: harry, ron, hermione. is going to die. so i think it's ron.

http://virtualteen.org/forums/images/misc/im_aim.gifRileytotallypwns
AIM me! I got nothing better to do
Trademarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Bobby
Legendary Member

Bobby's Forum Picture

I think Harry is the horcrux.

-John McCain
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #16
Charlotte
Great Poster

Then why would Voldemort be trying to kill him?
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #17
Physicist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego
I think Harry is the horcrux.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blonde4emailzz
Then why would Voldemort be trying to kill him?
Because he either doesn't realize it, or he does realize it and relies on his other horcruxes, not realizing that they are slowly being destroyed.

Besides, given that only two are being killed and not three, it makes the most sense. It is undeniable that Harry will be one of them, but if it was going to be Ron or Hermione, I think three not two would be killed, she wouldn't only kill one or the other.

Also, she says "main" characters, and by definition, only Harry and Voldemort are main characters, the main protagonist and antagonist- all the rest (Ron, Hermione, Snape, Malfoy, Peter) are supporting characters.

Finally, she said at one time there were going to be three deaths at the end of the 7th. Well I bet the third other than Harry and Voldy was to be Dumbledore, but since she decided to kill him early it got narrowed down to 2. And also that would make a lot of sense for those three to all die at the same time.
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Dante
Legendary Member

ummmm ron, hermoine are mainc haracters, havent u read the books....yes because harry is the protag and voldermort is the antag,, doesnt not diminish the others role in the story..Does that mean the person who died in the 6th book wasnt shocking because they werent a main character????

Now we must poinder who are the unlucky 2

If Any Member needs to talk to me about anything, Just PM me, the door is always open.

My blog: Blog...
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #19
Physicist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en
ummmm ron, hermoine are mainc haracters, havent u read the books....yes because harry is the protag and voldermort is the antag,, doesnt not diminish the others role in the story..Does that mean the person who died in the 6th book wasnt shocking because they werent a main character????

Now we must poinder who are the unlucky 2
Where in my posts would you have gotten the idea that I havn't read the books? And no, it was shocking, were are you drawing all these ideas from

Look up the definition of main character and supporting character. Rowling could have been using very precise language in her interview, which supports my point. In todays liberal speach, many assume "main character" to mean anyone who frequently reoccurs in the story. This is not the case, the only people that are main characters are the primary protagonist and antagonist- the characters with all the complexity.

Ron, Hermione, and everyone else just provide relationships and cause the main characters to do what they do- they are supporting roles. Now normally I wouldn't get into symantics, but it's common in authors to be very precise with their speaking when dropping these subtle hints, so symantics are everything.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #20
Bobby
Legendary Member

Bobby's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark
the characters with all the complexity.
Ron and hermoine don't have any complexity??

-John McCain