Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 137 13.65%
Atheism 302 30.08%
Buddhism 12 1.20%
Christianity (Please Specify) 397 39.54%
Hinduism 9 0.90%
Islam 32 3.19%
Judaism 16 1.59%
Wicca 17 1.69%
Other (Please Specify) 82 8.17%
Voters: 1004. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #761
The Batman
Banned

Name: Thomdam
Default Re: GOD is real!!

Well actually Nick I the human breed is Inbred it had to come from to common ancestors but the mutations would have been something developed over time by different cultures.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #762
The Resurrected One
Banned

Name: Johnny K

Shall I take part in this with my disagreement? Or should I leave that for those who have smarter things to say...
The Resurrected One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #763
Oblivion
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Well actually Nick I the human breed is Inbred it had to come from to common ancestors but the mutations would have been something developed over time by different cultures.
Yeah, but hopefully we are much less inbred than if there were 2 starting people.
No matter what, humans are at least slightly inbred, but if there were only two original humans... Their kids had kids with each other etc, which would cause extreme inbrededness
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #764
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredemon View Post
Our Lord Almighty is real it dosent matter if you belive in the bible or the big bang ethier way GOD did it even scientests agree that some greater power caused the big bang or this is the one I belive that GOD created Adam and Eve it happened.

I'm a Christan
I'm assuming these scientists you refer to are christian scientists which are by no means even remotely representative of the scientific community. If a scientists says that some divine creator made the universe and such, they're not objective, and there's a greater chance that whatever they're researching has some bias due to their belief. If scientists do believe this, then prove it. Get me the source or authors or name of a real, genuine, not full of shit paper that shows this. There are plenty out there that show the opposite of what you're saying. Second, and here's where the fun starts or your claim falls to pieces: where's the proof? Let's say Adam and Eve did exist and they did mate together and make the human race. This would result in massive inbreeding and mutations. This would be rather interesting to have happen and have no mutations that are easily noticed, severe or lethal and that keep occurring. I see by your spelling and grammar, you've taken next to no time to think out your "argument" (I cant actually bring myself to call that nonsense an argument but I don't know a better word to describe it), so next time, think as it'll help you a lot in life. Even god thinks, so be like him and think.

Congratulations for being a christian, I'm an atheist.
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #765
Perseus
Legendary Member

Perseus's Forum Picture

Name: Jake

But God wouldnt made it inbred technically since hes God of course . I know some people will say thats an invalid argument but heh who cares? It makes since to me.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #766
Oblivion
Retired Mod

You were the one that said God wouldn't make all people good hearted...
How is this any different?
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #767
Perseus
Legendary Member

Perseus's Forum Picture

What do you mean? Those are 2 different things.
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #768
Prince_of_Peace
Member++

Prince_of_Peace's Forum Picture

God is real. We are all created in his image. God is real.
Prince_of_Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #769
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTrooper00 View Post
But God wouldnt made it inbred technically since hes God of course . I know some people will say thats an invalid argument but heh who cares? It makes since to me.
The argument of "god wouldn't make it inbred because he's god" isn't getting anywhere. It seems to be circular reasoning. Using that sort of arguing that you used is not going to get you anywhere in a debate.

prince_joel1: You've made the claim that god is real and we're made in his image (2 seperate claims actually). That's lovely and all but where's the proof?
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #770
iJack
VT Lover

If god is real and created all of us in his image, then why does the bible say bad stuff about gays? Why did god make them then?
iJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #771
Oblivion
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJack View Post
If god is real and created all of us in his image, then why does the bible say bad stuff about gays? Why did god make them then?
Because he wanted to give humans free will.
*laughs*

That's supposedly the argument.

(This particular argument is the debate on Good vs. Evil, but same principle as Gay vs Straight, since God says gays are evil supposedly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21670
The Freewill Argument

The Christians' objection to this argument involves freewill. They say that a being must have freewill to be happy. The omnibenevolent God did not wish to create robots, so he gave humans freewill to enable them to experience love and happiness. But the humans used this freewill to choose evil, and introduced imperfection into God's originally perfect universe. God had no control over this decision, so the blame for our imperfect universe is on the humans, not God.

Here is why the argument is weak. First, if God is omnipotent, then the assumption that freewill is necessary for happiness is false. If God could make it a rule that only beings with freewill may experience happiness, then he could just as easily have made it a rule that only robots may experience happiness. The latter option is clearly superior, since perfect robots will never make decisions which could render them or their creator unhappy, whereas beings with freewill could. A perfect and omnipotent God who creates beings capable of ruining their own happiness is impossible.

Second, even if we were to allow the necessity of freewill for happiness, God could have created humans with freewill who did not have the ability to choose evil, but to choose between several good options.

Third, God supposedly has freewill, and yet he does not make imperfect decisions. If humans are miniature images of God, our decisions should likewise be perfect. Also, the occupants of heaven, who presumably must have freewill to be happy, will never use that freewill to make imperfect decisions. Why would the originally perfect humans do differently?

The point remains: the presence of imperfections in the universe disproves the supposed perfection of its creator.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #772
theOperaGhost
Banned

Merged with the Religion sticky.
theOperaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #773
MisterAndrews
Nice Poster

Name: Adam
Default Re: Religion

Think about this everyone: How do we define 'good'? Good is the opposite to evil. With out evil we cannot define good, because we have no opposition to good actions. Therefore it would make sense for God to give us freewill so that we could see the difference between good and evil, and people would want to choose good.

There is another argument that when lucifer was cast out of heaven he went round using his power to give people evil thoughts, thus creating evil in the world.

However, i prefer the first argument.... i think its more logical. Think it over well if you want to counter-post. It makes sense, honest.

Adam

Send me a PM or add me on MSN... I've probably been through the same problems myself!!
MisterAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #774
Perseus
Legendary Member

Perseus's Forum Picture

The 2nd argument makes more since then the 1st one
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #775
dyslexiaa

dyslexiaa's Forum Picture

Mhmm, I feel overlooked.

Quote:
Our Lord Almighty is real it dosent matter if you belive in the bible or the big bang ethier way GOD did it even scientests agree that some greater power caused the big bang or this is the one I belive that GOD created Adam and Eve it happened.
You should probably do more research into how everything happened. Prancing around saying 'GOD DID IT' isn't going to hold a lot of merit in an actual argument.

Quote:
Scientists for the most part (who are not one being that you can generalize) do not believe in a higher power.
Could you find a source for this? I've seen statistics all over the place, from high to low.

Quote:
We have absolutely no idea what caused the Big Bang (if the idea of causation is even important at the point, which is unclear), and any scientist that claims to know a greater power caused it at this point in time is a scientist worth ignoring. Sort of like you, someone who obviously hasn't taken very much time to rationally examine your beliefs or expose them to any serious argument.
While I agree it would be insane to call it a law, 'first cause' is about as valid a theory as the Big Bang is. We don't have an extreme amount of information on either, so I don't see how it would completely demerit a scientist to think that a higher power was needed to start the universe up.

Quote:
I'm assuming these scientists you refer to are christian scientists which are by no means even remotely representative of the scientific community. If a scientists says that some divine creator made the universe and such, they're not objective, and there's a greater chance that whatever they're researching has some bias due to their belief. If scientists do believe this, then prove it. Get me the source or authors or name of a real, genuine, not full of shit paper that shows this. There are plenty out there that show the opposite of what you're saying.
Believing in God isn't some veil that entirely distorts everything someone believes. Just because a scientist believes in God doesn't mean they'll answer everything with 'God Did It.' Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Descartes, Newton, Mendel, and Einstein all had some belief in a higher power (while Einstein is debatable.)

Religion and belief in a higher power is built on faith, there is no proof. You have faith that there is no God and I have faith that there is, but neither of us no, we both just assume we're correct based on our experiences.

Science can answer how, but it can't answer why.

Adam and Eve was a fable written thousands of years ago by people who had no scientific knowledge at all. IMO, Christians who take the Bible as a word-for-word historical document are ridiculous. If you don't understand the context that the Bible was written in, you're using a 2000+ year old philosophy in a modern world and it just can't hold it's weight.

I posted on free will and omnipotence and morality a few pages back.
dyslexiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #776
Mysticbeauty
Junior Member+

Name: Alex
Smile Re: Religion

I'm A Catholic and a believer of The Holy Trinity (God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit). I have faith, which helps me believe God is real. I was born into being a Catholic which is funny because If I were not born into any religion I would most likely on more open minded on this topic. My life is not guided soley on religion but guided on my conscience (which I learnt that is given to us by God).

I do believe Catholic or not we all have a conscience. We all know the difference between wrong or right. Some consciences are guided by God and all Catholics believe that we have God inside us (but this is hard to explain). But what YOU feel is right is different of what others believe. Our Conscience are different because we all have different views. We make up our conscience on our beliefs or what people we admire tell us, so of course we beliefs are all going to be different because we are all told different things but it is up to us if we believe it.

This is purely my opinion.

Concluding
It all really depends. I have reliaze this is a topic to big for us to swallow.
This seems as fact because no one knows everything so there are things bigger than us. The unknown is honestly unknown...

*sorry if this offended anyone*
Mysticbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #777
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie

lawl

♫♪Κodie♪♫
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #778
Perseus
Legendary Member

Perseus's Forum Picture

Ive seen a commercial for that movie before.. It looks like a good movie
I dont think its really going to make Christians turn to atheism though, if he intends that.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #779
Cloud
Godliest God of all

Name: Calum

I am meant to be Catholic but i think half the stuff is a pile of crap if you read the stories most of them have serious flaws that contradict what has been set as a rule. I go to a Catholic school but I am not a strong believer in religion I prefer to have solid evidence like science offers so im agreeing with the evolution story because that has proof.

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few-Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction
Oh of course. I so want you now.

~Laura was here~
~Jessi wasn't here but she should have been ~
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #780
MisterAndrews
Nice Poster

Name: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okay in the Uk View Post
I am meant to be Catholic but i think half the stuff is a pile of crap if you read the stories most of them have serious flaws that contradict what has been set as a rule. I go to a Catholic school but I am not a strong believer in religion I prefer to have solid evidence like science offers so im agreeing with the evolution story because that has proof.
tis great that you have a strong opinion and are set in your faith. But did you know that genesis ch1 is actually just a story to illustrate how the earth developed. Since God is outside time, what is one day to him could be 5,000,000 years to us. And i think it has also been meantioned that adam and eve are a story aswell. This i also believe to be true. They were created to tell a peoples who could not understand science or god the story of the earth and though they are lovely to read, they are just stories. You hear christians say that they are real, these people just give us a bad name.

I think you are correct, evolution did happen... But is it just the unfolding of God's plan as illustrated in Genesis 1?

Adam

Send me a PM or add me on MSN... I've probably been through the same problems myself!!
MisterAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote