Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 19th, 2019, 02:35 AM   #1
LiberalTurboprop
Member++

LiberalTurboprop's Forum Picture

Name: Connor
Default Right-wing Liberal-National Coalition Maintains Control of Government in Australia

The Coalition (Liberal Party, National Party, Liberal National Party and Country Liberal Party) will form government after defeating the Labor Party in the Australian federal election. This is a surprise victory as polling showed Labor likely to win, albeit with a lead which had narrowed significantly. It is unknown whether the Coalition will be able to form majority or minority government (relying on support from minor parties and independents). As is usual, no party will have majority in the Senate. The Coalition will have to rely on support from the centrists and right-wing populists in the Senate to pass legislation unless they can get support from the left-of-centre parties.

Other results of note:
  • mining magnate Clive Palmer's election spending spree failed to win the United Australia Party even a single seat.
  • Far-right Senator Fraser Anning loses his place in the Senate.
  • Former hard-right Liberal Prime Minister Tony Abbott loses his own seat to an Independent challenger.

Personally, I'm very disappointed in Australia for falling for a campaign based on selfishness, fearmongering and dogwhistle racism. This may be the end of big ideas coming from the opposition given that Labor offered a whole raft of policies and the Coalition spent most of their time opposing these.
LiberalTurboprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:07 AM   #2
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Right-wing Liberal-National Coalition Maintains Control of Government in Australi

Humanity isn’t going to make the transition to avert global warming disasters.
We’re out of time.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Snowfox
Member++

Name: Pyry
Default Re: Right-wing Liberal-National Coalition Maintains Control of Government in Australi

So Aussieland voted to stay independent nation and not communist shithole. Oh wait it is allready partially communist. Maybe this wont change anything after all
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:24 AM   #4
AussieNicholas

AussieNicholas's Forum Picture

Name: Nicholas

This is the first federal election I voted in, and its made me aware more than ever that I need to pay closer attention to the politics of my own country. I don't know nearly enough to have any strong opinion about what's right for this country, but with the way people have talked about this election I know I need to change that.

AussieNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #5
LiberalTurboprop
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
So Aussieland voted to stay independent nation and not communist shithole. Oh wait it is allready partially communist. Maybe this wont change anything after all
We have universal healthcare, public schools, government roads and pensions like most developed countries. Hardly communist.
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:24 AM   #6
Connordude
Member++

Connordude's Forum Picture

Yeah it sucks
Ducking Queenslanders
Connordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:28 AM   #7
LiberalTurboprop
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connordude View Post
Yeah it sucks
Ducking Queenslanders
It's always bloody Queensland.
Old May 19th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Connordude
Member++

Connordude's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbsNotInteresting View Post
It's always bloody Queensland.
Its the inbreeding
Connordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:13 PM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

I don't know much about Australian politics, but I'm gonna guess neoliberalism is the reason why the Labour Party lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:40 AM   #10
AussieNicholas

AussieNicholas's Forum Picture

Name: Nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbsNotInteresting View Post
We have universal healthcare, public schools, government roads and pensions like most developed countries. Hardly communist.
For some reason if the government provides anything for little to no fee then its communism.

AussieNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:15 AM   #11
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNicholas View Post
For some reason if the government provides anything for little to no fee then its communism.
They're all paid for using tax money though, meaning it's more government-directed funding rather than 'free'.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #12
LiberalTurboprop
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I don't know much about Australian politics, but I'm gonna guess neoliberalism is the reason why the Labour Party lost.
What? I think it's more to do with Labor bringing a whole host of reforms to the election which the Coalition was able to attack and run scare campaigns on - Labor planned on taking away a few entitlements which were essentially handouts to the wealthy. The media increasingly focus on the Prime Minister even that's not how the system is works and the Labor leader wasn't very charismatic while the Liberal Party leader was able to do a successful rebrand. And unfortunately a lot of people just vote on who they think has a better personality than ever looking at policies.