Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 142 13.61%
Atheism 312 29.91%
Buddhism 13 1.25%
Christianity (Please Specify) 415 39.79%
Hinduism 9 0.86%
Islam 33 3.16%
Judaism 17 1.63%
Wicca 17 1.63%
Other (Please Specify) 85 8.15%
Voters: 1043. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3201
darthearth
Member++
 
Join Date: June 16, 2012
Location: Not here. Later :-)
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

By the way, I still have yet to hear the materialist atheists explain how p-consciousness, something non-physical in nature (the fact that it is non-physical in nature is another thing that is evident that atheists seem to have great trouble with) can arise from solely physical systems (mere particles and forces inexplicably and all of a sudden "seeing a blue sky", it's almost funny if it weren't so completely pitiful). Explain how the non-physical can be produced from the solely physical, and how this is "rational" as opposed to the more simple and straightforward conclusion that we are non-physical entities, inherently capable of p-consciousness, accessing the information in the neurons to produce our phenomenal experience. Thank you.

(oh let's see, I'll bet they say I have no "evidence" that phenomenal awareness is not "physical stuff" that can't be produced from the physical, or my reasoning is a "non sequitur".......somehow, "we don't know so God did it" ....."non sequitur" right? The wonderful fallback of the atheist when they have nowhere else to go.) Truly "laughing out loud".
darthearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3202
Vlerchan
unadulteratedReason
 
Vlerchan's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Ireland
Age: 22
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthearth View Post
By the way, I still have yet to hear the materialist atheists explain how p-consciousness, something non-physical in nature [...] can arise from solely physical systems [...]
I've explained already that I'm unable to explain every phenomenon. You're asking the wrong person if you seriously want to know the theory behind P-Consciousness - I don't even know what the term means:/. I can only add that I find the option to continue the search for answers preferable to claiming God the answer to all of life's difficult questions and attributing all of such phenomenon's to Him. Why? Because such as answer - God did it - only leads to the suppression of rational thought and human curiosity. I refuse to re-enter the Dark Ages.

Quote:
"we don't know so God did it" ....."non sequitur" right?
I'm genuinely confused at how you can continue to believe that the embodiment of modern irrationality is a rational conclusion to any argument. Your continued assertions - See: Argument by Assertion - don't make you any more correct.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #3203
Fanta_Lover44
Awesome Poster
 
Name: -Deleted-
Join Date: December 31, 2011
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

I believe in god, heaven and hell. I'm not in any sort of religion though.
Fanta_Lover44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #3204
Srom
Junior Member+
 
Srom's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 4, 2013
Location: Washington
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son Of God and the reason why I believe is because of what He did on the cross for all of our sins and He rose again from the grave proving that He is God and that death didn't defeat Him. I believe Jesus Christ still exists today. I am not really in a religion because a religion means that someone has to follow somebody but Christianity isn't like that. You choose to become a follower of Christ so it's mostly a relationship with God. It's not really a religion. People label it a religion but it's a relationship with Christ.
Srom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3205
Romulus
New Member
 
Join Date: December 28, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I am Christian. Specifically Roman Catholic (or Latin Rite, as it is sometimes called).

I agree with what the OP. As God is our Father, we are all brothers and sisters. Therefor, we should treat each other as brother and sister.

Pax,
Romulus

"Pray, hope and don't worry."
-St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina, OFM Cap.

Mary, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, pray for us.

"Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world."
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3206
darthearth
Member++
 
Join Date: June 16, 2012
Location: Not here. Later :-)
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko711 View Post
I believe in god, heaven and hell. I'm not in any sort of religion though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srom View Post
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son Of God and the reason why I believe is because of what He did on the cross for all of our sins and He rose again from the grave proving that He is God and that death didn't defeat Him. I believe Jesus Christ still exists today. I am not really in a religion because a religion means that someone has to follow somebody but Christianity isn't like that. You choose to become a follower of Christ so it's mostly a relationship with God. It's not really a religion. People label it a religion but it's a relationship with Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I am Christian. Specifically Roman Catholic (or Latin Rite, as it is sometimes called).

I agree with what the OP. As God is our Father, we are all brothers and sisters. Therefor, we should treat each other as brother and sister.

Pax,
Romulus
Totally agree guys. Nice to hear.

darthearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:49 AM   #3207
Sorge
New Member
 
Sorge's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: December 31, 2013
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I used to be Methodist Christian, but denounced my faith a few months ago. I'm now Agnostic. My parents are Catholic and Baptist and Texas is a pretty religious place, so it's somewhat of a secret to people I know in real life. Anyways, this is about my personal opinion, so here we go.

The ideology of Agnosticism is, essentially, that the existence of any kind of supreme being is unknown, and that you cannot prove or disprove any kind of deities actually existing. I follow this pretty much down to the letter, and it makes sense to me. The thing about religion being black and white for me is dumb. Think about all the religions in the world. There's hundreds, maybe thousands. I see no reason why one group would believe they were correct while there are so many other people who have completely separate beliefs. I'm going to use Christianity as an example here, simply as it's the one I have the most... experience... with. The way I was raised was all that "All other religions are wrong and everyone who isn't Christian is going to Hell" and "Homosexuality is a sin blah blah blah homophobic bullshit". Now don't take that as an insult, that's simply how I was raised and how my family wanted me to be. I'm 100% tolerant of all beliefs, and, while I may strongly oppose them, people have the right to believe whatever they want. And I got really off there, so let's try to get back on track. I simply don't see the logic in thinking like that, as well as just the existence of gods in general. And I'm not negatively biased towards Theism of any kind, same goes for Atheism. I can't explicitly say weather a god exists or not, or why things are the way they are, be it through creation by some supreme being, or a completely natural, physical occurence. As for fighting between different beliefs, I really don't see the point of it. Let people think how they like, plain and simple. This kinda fell apart and got extremely basic fast, so I think I'm just gonna end it here.

TL;DR: I am Agnostic because I don't think people are meant to know why things are the way they are, both Theism and Atheism seem illogical to me, and though I don't necessarily agree with various beliefs, people have the right to believe whatever they want.
Sorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #3208
Seahawks15
Banned
 
Seahawks15's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 28, 2013
Location: NW USA
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I am Roman Catholic.
Seahawks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #3209
Hallie
Member
 
Name: Hallie
Join Date: October 17, 2013
Location: My overactive imagination
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

The main reason I'm an atheist is because I think it is arrogant to believe that this entire massive universe that we can never explore fully or even mostly was created for us. Just think about it. The earth doesn't even take up a hundred billionth of a percent in the universe, and yet some believe that the entire thing was created just for us. If there ever was a creator, then i seriously doubt that he/she knows we exist. And if there is a god that is watching over us, then he is a pretty horrible one. A lot of people use the argument that there are so many beautiful things in life, and yes, I agree. But how come god totally ignores the horrible things in the world? Children. Starving. And there are millions of them. What did they do to deserve that? Murder, rape, cancer, miscarriage, torture, depression, suicide, hate, and not to mention that most animals in the wild will live their entire lives terrified and will die young, horribly bloody, painful deaths. Why would an all loving god bring them into the world just to give them lives like that? And yes, I have read the bible. I've probably read more of it than many christians. And I have to agree with this: "When read properly, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Also this:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss you god, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #3210
rogoshtalmour
Banned
 
Name: David
Join Date: June 14, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Hallie you said so many things there and I do want to take the time to address some of them but first I must ask you a question in 2 different ways. I see your location is Virginia. First question would you prefer the US government tell you everything you must do and then force you to do it or would you prefer to continue enjoying the freedom of choice you have today? 2nd question is basically the same question but instead of considering the US government consider your parents would you prefer for them to have the power to force you to do anything they want or do you like being able to make your own choices sometimes even if your choices are somewhat limited since they are your parents and do have some say over what you do much in the same way the government does limit our choices but we still have choice overall?
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #3211
rogoshtalmour
Banned
 
Name: David
Join Date: June 14, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie View Post
The main reason I'm an atheist is because I think it is arrogant to believe that this entire massive universe that we can never explore fully or even mostly was created for us. Just think about it. The earth doesn't even take up a hundred billionth of a percent in the universe, and yet some believe that the entire thing was created just for us. If there ever was a creator, then i seriously doubt that he/she knows we exist. And if there is a god that is watching over us, then he is a pretty horrible one. A lot of people use the argument that there are so many beautiful things in life, and yes, I agree. But how come god totally ignores the horrible things in the world? Children. Starving. And there are millions of them. What did they do to deserve that? Murder, rape, cancer, miscarriage, torture, depression, suicide, hate, and not to mention that most animals in the wild will live their entire lives terrified and will die young, horribly bloody, painful deaths. Why would an all loving god bring them into the world just to give them lives like that? And yes, I have read the bible. I've probably read more of it than many christians. And I have to agree with this: "When read properly, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Also this:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss you god, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts
forgot to quote you so you would see my reply doing so now
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #3212
Hallie
Member
 
Name: Hallie
Join Date: October 17, 2013
Location: My overactive imagination
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogoshtalmour View Post
Hallie you said so many things there and I do want to take the time to address some of them but first I must ask you a question in 2 different ways. I see your location is Virginia. First question would you prefer the US government tell you everything you must do and then force you to do it or would you prefer to continue enjoying the freedom of choice you have today? 2nd question is basically the same question but instead of considering the US government consider your parents would you prefer for them to have the power to force you to do anything they want or do you like being able to make your own choices sometimes even if your choices are somewhat limited since they are your parents and do have some say over what you do much in the same way the government does limit our choices but we still have choice overall?
First of all, you used so many run-on sentences and it was hard to follow what you were saying. Second of all, I fail to see how this relates to my religious views or what I have said about them. I am fairly sure that you are trying to bring up the point that god has given us free will, therefore it is our choice whether to believe in him or not. But let me ask you a question: would you want your parents to drown you and the rest of the world because they are "evil" even though many of them are children who don't know better? Would you want them to pick a favorite child (Cane and Abel)? Would you want them to tell you not to kill anyone, then go killing people themselves? Would you want them to threaten to burn you in a pit of despair for the rest of eternity if you've done a bad thing? Do you think that is good parenting?
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #3213
AlexOnToast
Banned
 
AlexOnToast's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 18, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Religion

Nope....dont believe in any of that stuff, never have, never will
AlexOnToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3214
Sanctum
Member
 
Sanctum's Forum Picture
 
Name: Arian
Join Date: November 14, 2013
Location: Iran
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

i am religious so i have a plan which says to me what is good and what is bad and has given me the authority whether to choose it or not.
and i don't think atheism is a religion.
when you believe in nothing then you couldn't claim that you have a religion.

How come nobody knows how to flush the toilet after they've had a shit??
Sanctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #3215
rogoshtalmour
Banned
 
Name: David
Join Date: June 14, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie View Post
First of all, you used so many run-on sentences and it was hard to follow what you were saying. Second of all, I fail to see how this relates to my religious views or what I have said about them. I am fairly sure that you are trying to bring up the point that god has given us free will, therefore it is our choice whether to believe in him or not. But let me ask you a question: would you want your parents to drown you and the rest of the world because they are "evil" even though many of them are children who don't know better? Would you want them to pick a favorite child (Cane and Abel)? Would you want them to tell you not to kill anyone, then go killing people themselves? Would you want them to threaten to burn you in a pit of despair for the rest of eternity if you've done a bad thing? Do you think that is good parenting?
No my only intent was to establish whether or not you want free will? Though it seems to me you have already revealed what you really want is autonomous free will meaning you want free will without consequence for anything you might choose to do. And well that is nothing but a childish view of the world. There is cause and effect. So everything we do has a consequence. You want the freedom to do what you want but face no consequence. You even want to use the excuse that most are children who just didn't know any better. The Bible tried to tell people a better way to behave but they choose to ignore it. No i am afraid ignorance is not and can not be an excuse. People know what the right things to do are but they actively choose to do evil. And if God exists then He gets to choose what is good and what is evil and for you to say He is wrong in his choices makes you supremely arrogant. It would be you arguing that you know better than the person who knows everything because God by definition knows everything. Sorry for run on sentences and even not splitting this up into paragraphs but most of the time I just don't care about grammar online. Feel free to toss my argument aside because of grammar but keep in mind that would be ad hominem which is a fallacy.
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #3216
Vlerchan
unadulteratedReason
 
Vlerchan's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Ireland
Age: 22
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogoshtalmour View Post
Though it seems to me you have already revealed what you really want is autonomous free will meaning you want free will without consequence for anything you might choose to do.
It neither says nor implies this anywhere in her post(s).

The rest is some of the most obvious and horrible strawman-ing I've read on this board. This point is interesting though:

Quote:
And if God exists then He gets to choose what is good and what is evil and for you to say He is wrong in his choices makes you supremely arrogant.
The bible is a truly awful source of morality; borderline-batshit-crazy in parts. Here's a great example:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" 1 Samuel 15:3.

I personally find genocide (and infanticide) wrong regardless of the Lord Almighty stance on such is. You?

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #3217
Hallie
Member
 
Name: Hallie
Join Date: October 17, 2013
Location: My overactive imagination
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogoshtalmour View Post
No my only intent was to establish whether or not you want free will? Though it seems to me you have already revealed what you really want is autonomous free will meaning you want free will without consequence for anything you might choose to do. And well that is nothing but a childish view of the world. There is cause and effect. So everything we do has a consequence. You want the freedom to do what you want but face no consequence. You even want to use the excuse that most are children who just didn't know any better. The Bible tried to tell people a better way to behave but they choose to ignore it. No i am afraid ignorance is not and can not be an excuse. People know what the right things to do are but they actively choose to do evil. And if God exists then He gets to choose what is good and what is evil and for you to say He is wrong in his choices makes you supremely arrogant. It would be you arguing that you know better than the person who knows everything because God by definition knows everything. Sorry for run on sentences and even not splitting this up into paragraphs but most of the time I just don't care about grammar online. Feel free to toss my argument aside because of grammar but keep in mind that would be ad hominem which is a fallacy.
I like your point; it shows me that you are intelligent, but I want to be clear with you that I am not asking for autonomous free will. Yes, it is true that I think burning your children for eternity is a bit harsh for doing one bad deed in life. All I'm saying is that the punishment is unjust, not that there shouldn't be a punishment. For example, when your child makes a mess of the house, you send them to a time out until dinner time. This gives them time to think about what they've done and come to the conclusion that they were wrong, and so they can learn from it and do better later on in life. But in hell, you can never escape, no matter how much you are sorry for what you did. There is no redemption. In god's eyes, there is only good and evil. I see much more to the human species. I don't think that everything is so black and white, but that there are shades of gray. And just because you've done a bad thing, does that necessarily make you a bad person? All I'm saying is that it seems unfair for god to punish his own children and cause them agony for an eternity. Think about that for a second. An eternity. A whole day, burning in agonizing pain would be horrible. A year, inhuman. a thousand, unbelievable. How about a million? and a billion? a trillion? a hundred trillion? ten hundred trillion? Not even. None of these lengths of time come close. Can you imagine? Being tortured non stop for an eternity? Does that sound like an all loving, forgiving god to you?
Listen, I very much enjoy debating with you. I would like to continue, because you seem very knowledgeable on the subject, and I am looking to understand. I always try to keep an open mind. I was wondering if you could answer this question for me: Why christianity? Why do you choose to be a christian? I am assuming that you think all other religions are false, yes? So why do you think christianity is the true religion? What makes christianity more valid than all the other thousands of religions that have existed during the course of history?

I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude. I'm sorry if I offended you. I am just very passionate about this subject and would like to share my views. And I want you to know that disliking the beliefs is not the same thing as disliking the person, just like hating the sin is different than hating the sinner

Last edited by Hallie; January 8th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #3218
DarkOmega
Member
 
DarkOmega's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 26, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

atheism is not a religion . neither Agnosticism. they are religious views

I'm only responsible for what I say , not for what you understand.
DarkOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #3219
rogoshtalmour
Banned
 
Name: David
Join Date: June 14, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
It neither says nor implies this anywhere in her post(s).

The rest is some of the most obvious and horrible strawman-ing I've read on this board. This point is interesting though:

The bible is a truly awful source of morality; borderline-batshit-crazy in parts. Here's a great example:

"This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" 1 Samuel 15:3.

I personally find genocide (and infanticide) wrong regardless of the Lord Almighty stance on such is. You?
Your premise is flawed. You find the idea of genocide and infanticide wrong regardless of God's stance on it. But you have to carry that argument to its logical conclusion. If God does exist and He being a perfect being by definition then if He chooses to wipe out a certain people group He must be right in doing so. For you to say otherwise is simply putting yourself in His place, which is of course what the first sin was to begin with. Everything you have just said reveals that you are rebelling against God. God is perfect good. God is also sovereign. Those that go against God are evil by definition. The only reason any of us think otherwise is because of our fallen sin nature. I include myself in that statement because yes there have been times when I have had my doubts too about his actions both in history and even sometimes today I have to ask myself why He allows this or that to happen. Ultimately I realize most of what He allows to happen that is bad is because He is allowing Human free will. I have to check myself when I question Him though. How can I a mere human who has a limited vision of things presume to know better than God. Also if you think the Amalekites were just normal happy go lucky people you are dead wrong. I seem to recall the Amalekites (along with many other people groups back then) committed child sacrifice. It is funny people cry out today asking why God allows this or that evil act and yet when God takes a stance against evil and punishes it people cry out and call him evil for doing so. He can't really win in some peoples eyes can he? To those who choose to rebel against Him no matter what He does they will see it as wrong. I for one am happy to let Him do what He thinks is best rather than what I think is best. That is where my faith comes in.
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #3220
rogoshtalmour
Banned
 
Name: David
Join Date: June 14, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie View Post
I like your point; it shows me that you are intelligent, but I want to be clear with you that I am not asking for autonomous free will. Yes, it is true that I think burning your children for eternity is a bit harsh for doing one bad deed in life. All I'm saying is that the punishment is unjust, not that there shouldn't be a punishment. For example, when your child makes a mess of the house, you send them to a time out until dinner time. This gives them time to think about what they've done and come to the conclusion that they were wrong, and so they can learn from it and do better later on in life. But in hell, you can never escape, no matter how much you are sorry for what you did. There is no redemption. In god's eyes, there is only good and evil. I see much more to the human species. I don't think that everything is so black and white, but that there are shades of gray. And just because you've done a bad thing, does that necessarily make you a bad person? All I'm saying is that it seems unfair for god to punish his own children and cause them agony for an eternity. Think about that for a second. An eternity. A whole day, burning in agonizing pain would be horrible. A year, inhuman. a thousand, unbelievable. How about a million? and a billion? a trillion? a hundred trillion? ten hundred trillion? Not even. None of these lengths of time come close. Can you imagine? Being tortured non stop for an eternity? Does that sound like an all loving, forgiving god to you?
Listen, I very much enjoy debating with you. I would like to continue, because you seem very knowledgeable on the subject, and I am looking to understand. I always try to keep an open mind. I was wondering if you could answer this question for me: Why christianity? Why do you choose to be a christian? I am assuming that you think all other religions are false, yes? So why do you think christianity is the true religion? What makes christianity more valid than all the other thousands of religions that have existed during the course of history?

I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude. I'm sorry if I offended you. I am just very passionate about this subject and would like to share my views. And I want you to know that disliking the beliefs is not the same thing as disliking the person, just like hating the sin is different than hating the sinner
You have to understand God desires that NONE should perish however he allows you to make a choice you can choose to obey him and spend an eternity in heaven with him or you can choose (AND MAKE NO MISTAKE IT IS A CHOICE) to spend eternity apart from him ie Hell. There are two kinds of people in this world those who say to God "thy will be done" and those to whom God says "thy will be done."

Now to your question. Did you know every major world religion has a story of a great flood? In fact most cultures have one as well. This suggests a common history for all mankind. Christianity is by far the most documented religion in history. We have more evidence for the life and actions of Jesus Christ than we do for Socrates. In fact there are still theories that Socrates never lived that He was just a made up teacher created by Plato for Plato to demonstrate his own ideas. The Bible was written over a period of 1500 years on across 3 different continents by over 40 different authors all from different walks of life including a doctor, cupbearer, fisherman, prime minister, military general, etc. and each of them told the same story overall. They spoke of a personal relationship with the living God. The Bible as a whole is really just a single story namely God's plan of salvation for all mankind. Jesus Christ is that salvation, He is the fulfillment of the Scriptures. Now it's been said Jesus has to be 1 of 3 things. He was either a liar, a lunatic, or He was who He said He was. C.S. Lewis wrote about that you should check out his writings. Also Josh McDowell writes about it in his book More than A Carpenter. He also has a book called Answers to Tough questions and the The New evidence that demands a verdict. That last one is really great it presents a lot of historical evidence for the Bible and Jesus. Josh McDowell started off as an atheist and was challenged by some of his friends at college to search for the truth. He started his journey trying to find a way to disprove the Bible, Christ, and God. He ended up becoming a Christian instead. He is not the only one with a story like that either. If you really studied up on this you would see so many people the world over have had their lives changed and changed for the better because of Jesus. Not just because of Christians helping them either with clothes and food and such although that is a great thing too. That is another reason I choose Christianity over the other religions. No other religion out there has done more to aid humanity in general than Christianity. I know what you're thinking didn't Christianity also cause a lot of wars. Dr. Walter Martin another Christian apologist asked a history professor once to research how many people died in all the religious wars throughout history. I think they only went back to Jesus's time but still it was counting the crusades and all. They came up with a number of about 3 million. Did you know the philosophies of Karl Marx and Nietzche influenced Russia and Germany a lot in the early 1900's and are indirectly responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths. They held atheistic philosophies by the way. Certainly Stalin was an atheist. Another reason I am a Christian instead of say a Muslim is well no other religion actually offers hope in this dark world. Even Islam the only sure way to get to heaven is by killing others. You can do everything else right in accordance with the Koran but Allah may just turn you away on a whim and say no you may not enter heaven. The only way to get to heaven is to kill others in the name of Allah which is why so many terrorists have been muslim. They are trying to earn their way into heaven. Christianity on the other hand specifically says you can not earn your way to heaven. You can not get to heaven with works. Instead you must accept the gift of Christs sacrifice and have faith in Him. Now in doing so you will also end up doing good works by default but those good works are not what get you into heaven. Ya know in the beginning God created the Garden and us and gave us choice and He knew before He even created us that we would at some point make the wrong choice and sin would enter the world. If not Adam and Eve then someone down the line would have done it. So even before He made us He also designed a plan of salvation for us. He knew we would mess up and He would have to save us. It is up to us to accept that free gift though.
There is a lot more I could say on this an other subjects but it would be a lot to read. Instead try checking out the authors i mentioned. Also R.C. Sproul and Walter martin have podcasts. Walter martin is deceased but you can still find the podcasts. Those two have taught me a lot. The information is out there sometimes you just need a little help finding it. The Bible also says "seek and you will find." Sometimes all it takes is a person to open their heart and honestly seek God and He will answer. Keep in mind He answers in his own timing not ours.
rogoshtalmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org