Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM   #1
munchausen
Member+
 
munchausen's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damian
Join Date: December 30, 2009
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Nightmares

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it kind of fits.

For a couple of years now I've been having very intense, vivd nightmares. Sometimes it's just flashes of horrible pictures, things I don't want to even begin to describe. Other times it's about megan I see her standing in front of me covered in dried blood and dirt with a disturbing little sad smile. She blames me for her death, says that if I'd been there I would have made sure she took the long road home and she'd still be alive. Sometimes it's about my youngest sister Jade the things that might happen to her if I leave her alone with my father. Recently in the dreams her arms are covered in deep cuts like mine are just now, she always says that I told her to do it but I'd never do that I like her too much to let that happen to her but she's exactly like me I'm scared she might become a self harmer too. If that happens I don't know what I'd do.
I even confuse the dreams with things that have happened, I was very surprised this morning to find my sisters arms completely intact and I had retained all of my toes. Thing is though she told me she had the same dream and doesn't know why she said what she said, I didn't tell her I'd had the same dream I just said she'd been watching too many scary films. My little sisters always been like that, she knows things she shouldn't it was evident even in her first words which were, "bitty margie." my grandfathers pet name for my mother, but that's a whole other story.

munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Suicune
Awesome Poster
 
Suicune's Forum Picture
 
Name: Marcus
Join Date: October 24, 2009
Location: New England
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Nightmares

I would suggest talking to somebody about your nightmares (Besides VT) and possibly resolve them. It sounds like these are causing a big deal of stress. :/

Suicune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Watchfulness
Banned
 
Join Date: October 24, 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Nightmares

Nightmares should not be concerned about.
Tolerate it like a dream.
Watchfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Mattasaur94
Member++
 
Mattasaur94's Forum Picture
 
Name: Matt
Join Date: February 7, 2010
Location: In my Bawx.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 14
Default Re: Nightmares

Nightmares, night terrors aside, are one of the worst forms of a dream.
They are usually from stress or physical pain or illness.
Nightmares stay in your head. The detail is clear and it normally never leaves you.

I used to have a dream, incredibly vivid, of two large dogs, it was based in the middle of the night, I would walk outside, I couldn't stop myself, it was the same every night, and I would see everything on fire, my family would be getting torn apart by the creatures. Then one would come up to me with my sisters neck, clenched in its saw. I'd hear a crack and it'd look up at me. The dog would then say something morbid.

How I combatted this, seeing as it stuck in my head, was writing it down, in incredible detail. To the point where my page would be splashed with my tears, I was 12.
As it approached the end, I wrote a happy ending. Every night before I went to sleep, as I was lieing in bed, I would read the story over and over and over again, memorising it, word for word with the happy ending.
then I would do a breathing excercise, to controll my thoughts from wandering from the happy ending, I'd fall asleep eventually. It took a while to kick in, a couple of nights or so. But it worked.

Boom! You scream as the light hits you
It radiates throughout your whole soul
Boom! The pain is clarity, it cleanses
And if it still fucking hurts
Then you still fucking know,
That you are still alive
That you are still in control, if you'd only take hold
Mattasaur94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Mr. Smithers
Banned
 
Name: August
Join Date: March 13, 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Nightmares

What are you eating or watching on TV before you sleep.

It's a known fact that eating lots of junk food before sleep can cause them.

Also looking at something freighting on television, or thinking about something freighting before you go to bed can also cause them.

Nightmares are normal to have, but you shouldn't be having one every night.
Mr. Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM   #6
munchausen
Member+
 
munchausen's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damian
Join Date: December 30, 2009
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discotheque View Post
What are you eating or watching on TV before you sleep.

It's a known fact that eating lots of junk food before sleep can cause them.

Also looking at something freighting on television, or thinking about something freighting before you go to bed can also cause them.

Nightmares are normal to have, but you shouldn't be having one every night.
I don't eat junk foods at all because I have to keep myself in shape because I'm an amateur athlete and I do a couple of martial arts. I haven't watched TV in about three years, (except at a friends house but that's just to be polite.)

munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM   #7
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster
 
BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 9, 2010
Location: UK.
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Nightmares

I get a lot of vivid nightmares, I tend to get them more when I'm distressed.

If you're feeling stressed out for some reason, maybe finding out why and sorting out the stress would help with the vivid dreams/nightmares?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."


In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Asylum
Banned
 
Name: Songl
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: Nightmares

note that it is a dream... perhaps learn how to lucid dream, wheree you can control your dreams by recognizing it's just a dream in your dream. i have bad nightmares and this happens a lot. start keeping a dream journal. if you want ot learn more about lucid dreaming or have a problem not being able to lucid dream PM me
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess
 
Magus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Fae, The Witch
Join Date: February 22, 2010
Location: The Guild Of Archmages
Age: 26
Gender: Transgender MtF*
Blog Entries: 13
Default Re: Nightmares

Such dreams as we all call it Nightmares are just the mirror of our unconscious minds.

The unconscious mind deals with everything that is not perceived by our 5 senses.
Even if you have never watched T.V and horror movies, you will still suffer nightmare
as they are triggered by several other factors.

Major factor is of two. Mental and Physical, you said you are physically fit but that doesn't mean that your brain is.

Nightmare triggered by emotions. These nightmare are always accompanied with both of physical and mental strains such as anxiety, paranoia, stress and etc. If you are sad, angry, happy. These helps in developing your brains to project images of associated feelings. I am happy, I get a happy dream, but that's not always the case.

Fear is what drives nightmare, the emotions of oneself is a thing to be considered.

Geographically position of the body is one of the factor. You are sleeping wrong, sleeping late after a long tiresome day, the bed and the bedroom position and location.

History past memories, sometimes dreams are just altered memories which are the make up of your mind but not the way you want it.

And sometimes nightmares are just the real life affected trauma, common among veterans of wars or who ever saw the horrors of devastating scenery and even natural disaster.

The only thing that is good to remove nightmares is.

Sleep well, eat well, exercise early and never push the body, have a good habitual domestic environment, good relationship and over coming certain fears.

Sorry for being of topic But just some piece of trivia information.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Watchfulness
Banned
 
Join Date: October 24, 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Nightmares

I feel so proud of myself for rarely having nightmares.
I believe it occurs at a much more frequent rate among those who suffers from depression and other mental disorders.

The best solution is to not be depressed in the first place.
Watchfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #11
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster
 
BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 9, 2010
Location: UK.
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Nightmares

Yes, because you can just switch depression on and off like a switch!

Jeez.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."


In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #12
KChiChi
Member
 
KChiChi's Forum Picture
 
Name: Aafa*
Join Date: February 23, 2010
Location: the waters... mann... ON A BOAT WITH dANNYBre!!!
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Nightmares

well, in my case, i usually dream about what i was thinking about before i fell asleep. i think you should try that. just train yourself, as my mentor once told me, and it will work. always try thinking about something that makes you smile, and train yourself not to worry. a day might have been long a boring, so save the night for smiling.

try not thinking about dreams that you had before. i used to have nightmares when i was younger, and the terrible thing was that they'd continue the next day. it was like a horror film that never ended -seriously.

then my mentor told me about handling dreams. something about your mental psychi or whatever -what i picked up was that you could control your dreams. spend a whole day picking up on the most fantastic moments of the day, and at night just make them bigger and better.

you live a better life in your dream. try making that life even better!!

xxxxx

The Boundaries Between Fiction and Reality Are Wavering, Slightly.
They're giving me a headache.
Romanticism is quite cynical sometimes.
I'm extremely mentally flustered.

PM me. I know how to make people smile.
KChiChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #13
galen
Member
 
galen's Forum Picture
 
Name: Galen
Join Date: December 4, 2009
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Default Re: Nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattasaur94 View Post
Nightmares, night terrors aside, are one of the worst forms of a dream.
They are usually from stress or physical pain or illness.
Nightmares stay in your head. The detail is clear and it normally never leaves you.

I used to have a dream, incredibly vivid, of two large dogs, it was based in the middle of the night, I would walk outside, I couldn't stop myself, it was the same every night, and I would see everything on fire, my family would be getting torn apart by the creatures. Then one would come up to me with my sisters neck, clenched in its saw. I'd hear a crack and it'd look up at me. The dog would then say something morbid.

How I combatted this, seeing as it stuck in my head, was writing it down, in incredible detail. To the point where my page would be splashed with my tears, I was 12.
As it approached the end, I wrote a happy ending. Every night before I went to sleep, as I was lieing in bed, I would read the story over and over and over again, memorising it, word for word with the happy ending.
then I would do a breathing excercise, to controll my thoughts from wandering from the happy ending, I'd fall asleep eventually. It took a while to kick in, a couple of nights or so. But it worked.
Sounds like a good idea.

Warmest Regards,
Galen

Galen is the sole breadwinner whom spends 48 hours on the Internet every day and he is currently working on various free online adventure games and commercial projects produced by a 3d animation studio based in Singapore and China.
galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #14
munchausen
Member+
 
munchausen's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damian
Join Date: December 30, 2009
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
seconded

munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Mattasaur94
Member++
 
Mattasaur94's Forum Picture
 
Name: Matt
Join Date: February 7, 2010
Location: In my Bawx.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 14
Default Re: Nightmares

*dances*
But it does help, usually.
Dreams are hard to combat because their something that happens while your sub-consious, thus you can't really fight them off. The best you can do is prepare yourself for it and get in the right mind-set

Boom! You scream as the light hits you
It radiates throughout your whole soul
Boom! The pain is clarity, it cleanses
And if it still fucking hurts
Then you still fucking know,
That you are still alive
That you are still in control, if you'd only take hold
Mattasaur94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Neverender
Newfoundlander
 
Neverender's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Nightmares

Dreams are thoughts in your sub-consious that for some reason the brain decides to run through without your control. sometimes, the same way a song plays over and over in your head, your brain keeps playing the same dream over and over. you may also have hallucinations just before you sleep. these arent full blown the "trees are dancing" hallucinations, but are much more subtle, like hearing others call your name, a terrifying sensation of falling or a quick dream about falling, or a revival of old memories. You sound to be under stress, which is made worse by your terrible nightmares, which are triggered by stress, they also raise stress, so we're locked in a never ending cycle. a possible way to help prevent you from nightmaring is to sleep on your stomach, and not your back. i suggest you see a specialist, they can help immensely and help you get a better, peaceful nights sleep.


Been here on VT so long,
my clothes are starting to rot.
8 Years and counting
Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM   #17
Scarface
Retired Administrator
 
Scarface's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ronnie
Join Date: November 11, 2009
Location: In the 80's
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 17
Default Re: Nightmares

im really glad that you came here for help and i am so sorry to here about your night terrors those seem just awful. i would try not to watch haunting or scary things before going to sleep at night and eat at a reasonable time and keep away from the junk near your bedtime. i hope this helps and halt those night terrors. PM me if u ever need someone to talk to.

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #18
HMCK1401
Banned
 
Name: Harry
Join Date: March 4, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Default Re: Nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it kind of fits.

For a couple of years now I've been having very intense, vivd nightmares. Sometimes it's just flashes of horrible pictures, things I don't want to even begin to describe. Other times it's about megan I see her standing in front of me covered in dried blood and dirt with a disturbing little sad smile. She blames me for her death, says that if I'd been there I would have made sure she took the long road home and she'd still be alive. Sometimes it's about my youngest sister Jade the things that might happen to her if I leave her alone with my father. Recently in the dreams her arms are covered in deep cuts like mine are just now, she always says that I told her to do it but I'd never do that I like her too much to let that happen to her but she's exactly like me I'm scared she might become a self harmer too. If that happens I don't know what I'd do.
I even confuse the dreams with things that have happened, I was very surprised this morning to find my sisters arms completely intact and I had retained all of my toes. Thing is though she told me she had the same dream and doesn't know why she said what she said, I didn't tell her I'd had the same dream I just said she'd been watching too many scary films. My little sisters always been like that, she knows things she shouldn't it was evident even in her first words which were, "bitty margie." my grandfathers pet name for my mother, but that's a whole other story.
I believe you are a person who was blessed by God to get visions. This goes for you and your sister. I feel, however, that you may be misinterpretting those dreams. The blood and cut limbs may mean that you will go through something in your life that will make you feel like you are getting hurt beyond belief. I truly hope that your dreams lessen in their torture. I would either go to a priest or a psychologist just to see if they can shed some light on what you have seen. I would not recommend going to any law enforcement location or anything like that they look at things in term of black and white. You don't want them to put some sort of file or anything together on you that would stop you from advancing in your future job pursuits.

Another thing... Live life and try to be excited about everything. However, watch out for things and people that are not right. Your girlfriend who spoke of the fact that she would still be alive if you took the long way home... To this, perhaps it would mean that you should not be reckless in life, such as driving your car at 90 miles an hour in order to cut down on driving time to your house. Live your life safely, but have fun!
HMCK1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #19
HMCK1401
Banned
 
Name: Harry
Join Date: March 4, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Default Re: Nightmares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
Dreams are thoughts in your sub-consious that for some reason the brain decides to run through without your control. sometimes, the same way a song plays over and over in your head, your brain keeps playing the same dream over and over. you may also have hallucinations just before you sleep. these arent full blown the "trees are dancing" hallucinations, but are much more subtle, like hearing others call your name, a terrifying sensation of falling or a quick dream about falling, or a revival of old memories. You sound to be under stress, which is made worse by your terrible nightmares, which are triggered by stress, they also raise stress, so we're locked in a never ending cycle. a possible way to help prevent you from nightmaring is to sleep on your stomach, and not your back. i suggest you see a specialist, they can help immensely and help you get a better, peaceful nights sleep.
I agree with you. But remember that he said that his sister had the same dream. This would mean some sort of special spiritual family link. I know that when my ex-girlfriend was at her lowest, I could of sworn I heard her crying on the phone (which was still on the hook about 30 feet from me).
HMCK1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org