Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 14th, 2018, 11:29 AM   #1
crazyjazy02
Junior Member+

crazyjazy02's Forum Picture

Name: Leanne
Default Long Distance Relationships?

So I've obtained a boyfriend, which is surprising since none of my friends thought that would happen. It's great, however, he lives 3 hours away, and both our parents don't want us to travel to each other without a parent or a friend present. It's difficult, as he's 15 and most of his friends can't go either, and even though my friends say they would come with me, my mum still doesn't like the idea of me travelling at all, which is weird because I'm actually travelling to my aunts in a couple weeks. His birthday is at the start of the summer, and I really want to surprise him with me being there.
crazyjazy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #2
plasmaspirit
Banned

Name: J.
Default Re: Long Distance Relationships?

Ok I'm going to be truthful here.

I don't think your parents really approves of you have a relationship and the fact that you have scheduled a visit to your aunt is contradictory to the whole logic of having a long distance relationship are already the writings on the wall (As the late great Destiny's Child would say).

I don't know how the UK long distance travel system work if its convenient or what. But the fact that your parents did not offer to accompany you is another of these so called writings. From, your story they say they want a parent or friend present. but from the last few sentences it seems like it isn't the main deterrent. Another logical conundrum.

I think it would be best if you downgraded your expectations to a less physical relationship. meaning do it via messaging apps and texts that DO NOT violate your parents trust. Do not is actually the key word here because you will not be winning any wards if you go behind your parents backs given the writings on the walls (As the late great Destiny's Child would say).
plasmaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I’ve been in this situation, and when I was younger my significant other would write old fashioned letters and there were rules we made at the start in terms of prose and what became almost romantic-therapy in terms describing our feelings of the day, emotional venting, silky descriptive desires, angst and advice seeking.

I found it to be endearing, and test worthy of both yourself and your partner’s patience and long term control and therefore loyalty later on; but everyone is different and lack of physical touch can be very rough on the relationship. Long distance sucks in this regard no way around it.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #4
trackinglife

Name: David

Long distance is hard. Lots of people wouldn't consider 3 hours that long but when you want to be with someone every day it certainly is.

Always up to chat. I like meeting new people and discussing anything from music to philosophy, sports to art.
trackinglife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

It's really hard to be in a long distance relationship, especially when you're a teen. I was in one back in my sophomore year of high school with a guy I knew from middle school but he wasn't allowed to actually date me. He would come into town to visit but I'd never be able to see him because he wasn't allowed to see me. We became really distant with each other the last few months and eventually I just ended it.

Unlike my personal experience, LDRs require a lot of patience, trust, hope & communication to work. As long as you both are willing to hold on to these concepts in your relationship, things will work out in your favor. You just have to give it time.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic View Post
It's really hard to be in a long distance relationship, especially when you're a teen. I was in one back in my sophomore year of high school with a guy I knew from middle school but he wasn't allowed to actually date me. He would come into town to visit but I'd never be able to see him because he wasn't allowed to see me. We became really distant with each other the last few months and eventually I just ended it.

Unlike my personal experience, LDRs require a lot of patience, trust, hope & communication to work. As long as you both are willing to hold on to these concepts in your relationship, things will work out in your favor. You just have to give it time.
In some ways making situations like that is a huge sign of adult-like emotional understanding and security.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:41 PM   #7
KatieCO2003
Member++

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

I live on a ranch way up in the mountains of Colorado. It takes me 20 minutes just to get to the mailbox. My boyfriend lives in Manchester UK, which is like 3,500 miles away. I know that I'll never actually meet him. But, that's not really the point of our realtionship. We exchange messages, and I love him, and he loves me. And although there are A LOT of limitations on what I can say or send, we always manage to understand what the other is thinking. IDK if that helps?
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #8
ClaireHofmann

ClaireHofmann's Forum Picture

Name: Claire

I don't know if I'd ever be in a relationship like that but I think you can totally work it out if you really like each other.

Feel free to message me
ClaireHofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2018, 11:54 PM   #9
nathanlee
Junior Member+

nathanlee's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackinglife View Post
Long distance is hard. Lots of people wouldn't consider 3 hours that long but when you want to be with someone every day it certainly is.
I think 3 hours is really not a problem
nathanlee is offline   Reply With Quote