Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Here's the deal. A female first cousin just a few years older than me was having some issues making BM's including bleeding and extreme pain inside. They found it to be malignant and ended up doing surgery removing 24" of her colon at age 20 and she will have to make her BM's in a bag attached to her stomach for the rest of her life.

So now our doctors are recommending (very strongly recommending) that all the other girls who are sisters and first cousins of that girl need to be checked immediately as this sort of thing tends to run in families and several aunties and slightly older female cousins have had questionable exams in the past few years including having malignant and non-malignant growths removed. Now all of them have to get this procedure done every year.

I'm scheduled for my first colonoscopy and not thrilled about it at all after doing some online research. Have any of you had to undergo that procedure? They will be doing it in a doctor's office.

Last edited by Katie2003; July 18th, 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 11:58 AM   #2
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

I haven't had one, but I'm sure it's a whole lot better than untreated cancer would be!
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLove View Post
I haven't had one, but I'm sure it's a whole lot better than untreated cancer would be!
Yes. It's tomorrow, so breakfast this morning was the last meal until after it's over with. Because of the meds I'm already on every day for my emotional issues and OCD, they are not willing to sedate me during the procedure but I will be given enough muscle relaxants to help make me a bit more comfortable, and restrained to the table so I can't move during the procedure and accidentally cause any internal injury to myself. At least I'll be able to watch what they are doing on the monitor and I think it will be fascinating to see what I look like inside. I was shown video of the entire procedure so I already know what to expect and I'm sure I can do this even though they told me I'm not going to like it while the scope is up inside me. There will be a nurse present specifically to engage me in conversation and try to distract me from what is going on.

Unfortunately my older sis who just turned 19 had hers done for the first time several days ago after we got the warning and they didn't like the lab tests on a couple of polyps they removed out of a total of 7. She has to have the procedure repeated before leaving for college in a couple of weeks, they want to take out just a bit more around the area of the questionable ones. She's not thrilled about the redo so soon, but there's no other choice. Only a few of the female relatives who have had theirs done were perfectly clear with no issues. The rest all had multiple polyps with some of them being questionable. This does not look good but it's also wonderful that medicine is advanced enough to do preventive procedures. As you said, the alternative is tragic to have to deal with at any age, but especially if you are in your teens or 20's and totally unexpected.

Last edited by Katie2003; July 31st, 2018 at 12:15 PM.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 12:52 PM   #4
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

<3 <3 <3 you got this! Hang in there and have fun. I really like keeping my colon clean with enemas and stuff, and I don't know if it helps any - but I sure hope so.
Likes: (1)
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLove View Post
<3 <3 <3 you got this! Hang in there and have fun. I really like keeping my colon clean with enemas and stuff, and I don't know if it helps any - but I sure hope so.

I don't see how this could possibly be fun, it's a very serious medical procedure. I wouldn't even want it to be fun, or to think of it that way. But at least it can be tolerable.

My family believes in enemas just like you do, to keep our bowels clean and functioning at their peak. My grandma is a nurse and it was very common several decades ago for everyone to take enemas so she brought up her 9 kids including my mom with a weekly enema and all of them have continued that with their own families. I've been given one weekly all my life by mom, grandma, or sometimes my older sis and have taken others in between those on my own. Based on this recent discovery of some genetic sort of predisposition toward malignancy it may have helped, but it may not have. I'm not stopping them though, and I'll be given several pretty big enemas later this evening as prep for the exam tomorrow.

But I'm curious about how many of the female members of our family might have had far more serious issues with malignancy if we hadn't taken enemas regularly? I def plan on having that discussion with the doctors doing my colonoscopy tomorrow.

Last edited by Katie2003; July 31st, 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:21 PM   #6
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
I don't see how this could possibly be fun, it's a very serious medical procedure. I wouldn't even want it to be fun, or to think of it that way. But at least it can be tolerable.

My family believes in enemas just like you do, to keep our bowels clean and functioning at their peak. My grandma is a nurse and it was very common several decades ago for everyone to take enemas so she brought up her 9 kids including my mom with a weekly enema and all of them have continued that with their own families. I've been given one weekly all my life by mom, grandma, or sometimes my older sis and have taken others in between those on my own. Based on this recent discovery of some genetic sort of predisposition toward malignancy it may have helped, but it may not have. I'm not stopping them though, and I'll be given several pretty big enemas later this evening as prep for the exam tomorrow.

But I'm curious about how many of the female members of our family might have had far more serious issues with malignancy if we hadn't taken enemas regularly? I def plan on having that discussion with the doctors doing my colonoscopy tomorrow.
Have fun was more like, find the joy in each day. I definitely don't think the colonoscopy will be fun - but hopefully you'll find fun things to do every day.

I think enemas once a week are great, and I know when I don't do mine I feel worse - but it does sound like they didn't help here :/ I really enjoy mine tho, actually, so no way I'm gonna stop LOL.
Likes: (1)
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLove View Post
Have fun was more like, find the joy in each day. I definitely don't think the colonoscopy will be fun - but hopefully you'll find fun things to do every day.

I think enemas once a week are great, and I know when I don't do mine I feel worse - but it does sound like they didn't help here :/ I really enjoy mine tho, actually, so no way I'm gonna stop LOL.
Exactly, I do feel different when I haven't had one and it's not quite time for the next one, so I can pretty much tell when I need to take one in between the weekly ones from mom. They aren't unpleasant if done properly, sometimes a bit uncomfortable with some cramping for a few minutes depending on the volume and temperature of the water though, but I always feel much more relaxed and can tell my bowels are empty after having one. That empty feeling lasts for at least a few days, and it's quite enjoyable.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:30 PM   #8
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
Exactly, I do feel different when I haven't had one and it's not quite time for the next one, so I can pretty much tell when I need to take one in between the weekly ones from mom. They aren't unpleasant if done properly, sometimes a bit uncomfortable with some cramping for a few minutes depending on the volume and temperature of the water though, but I always feel much more relaxed and can tell my bowels are empty after having one. That empty feeling lasts for at least a few days, and it's quite enjoyable.
We're the same... I know medically there isn't any benefit they say but it's hard to explain. I just don't feel as GOOD if it's been too long since i had an enema. I usually take a whole bagful of warm plain water, you?
Likes: (1)
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:37 PM   #9
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

My grandma says that when she was in college taking nursing over 50 years ago, they were taught that enemas were beneficial to the overall health of people due to the vast amounts of processed foods included in our diets. I'm sure that amount has increased drastically since then.

Our bodies were meant to exist on the natural, less processed, and even raw foods. She said that at the time most nurses took enemas and the ones she kept in touch with all did them with their own families. I've heard that more recently some people are questioning whether there is a medical benefit or not, but isn't feeling better afterward a pretty good sign that it's helping your body in some way? I sure think so.

We have a 3 quart enema bag, and I am always given a whole one, warm soapsuds. 15-20 minute retention target which I have learned to easily do by doing breathing exercises and staying in a reclining position on my side. Always followed up by a second one with clear warm water as a rinse.

I'm capable of holding more than that, but it starts to get uncomfortable with moderate to severe cramping.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 01:52 PM   #10
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
I've heard that more recently some people are questioning whether there is a medical benefit or not, but isn't feeling better afterward a pretty good sign that it's helping your body in some way? I sure think so.
I agree totally. I'm 100% for science-based medicine, pro vaccines, doctors, all that - and I know they question enemas. But the fact my body *feels* so much healthier after tells me a lot!
Likes: (1)
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

I just wanted to update this, I got home a while ago from having my colonoscopy and I lived through it. It was unpleasant just like I had been warned, and as far as discomfort most of it was about a 5 or 6 out of 10, but there were several times when they said they were flexing the scope around bends and retrieving specimens that it was a 10 for a minute or two at a time, and they also inflate your colon with air under pressure and that creates a weird, uncomfortable feeling. The whole thing lasted 40 minutes a bit longer than they had predicted, but they said I did good and I was totally fascinated watching the procedure on the monitor. I had no idea that sort of exam was even possible, and they went in all the way to the far end of my colon which was simply amazing!
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 09:09 AM   #12
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

This morning we got a call from the clinic that did my colonoscopy, the lab results from the 9 polyps they removed from my colon are back and all of them are unremarkable, meaning they are not the sort to be worried about. However, since there were so many of them at my age, they are insisting on repeating the procedure after 6 months to see if there are any new ones. I'll gladly do that, even though it's no fun, because I want to stay healthy.

I'd been talking to the technician doing my colonoscopy all during the procedure and he advised me that it would be a good idea to continue doing regular enemas at least once a week because they don't know exactly what it is that causes those polyps to go bad, but it has to be related to diet and to the material that passes through your colon. He says keeping it cleaned out can't possibly hurt anything, and could very likely be helpful.
Katie2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 01:49 PM   #13
RainbowLove
Member++
 
RainbowLove's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 5, 2013
Gender: Gender Questioning
Default Re: Anyone else had a colonoscopy as a teen?

I'm glad to hear everything went well for you, and it sounds like enemas are doing us some good according to your doc.
Likes: (1)
RainbowLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org