Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 16th, 2019, 07:29 AM   #21
Jon Ian
Member+

Name: Jon
Default Re: Notre Dame is burning down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
It's so sad that this ancient cathedral of Notre Dame is on fire in Paris. This is really a tragedy of historic proportions. Notre Dame was constructed during the reign of King Louis VII in 1163. There will certainly be investigations to find out how this fire started. I feel sure that the cathedral will be restored. It is probably the best known example of Gothic construction of all the cathedrals in France.
It's really a sad news
Jon Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #22
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

The burning of Notre Dame is truly heartbreaking and hundreds of years of history and culture have now been lost. However, not a penny of public money should go towards its restoration. The church, whilst officially owned by the French government, was leased to the Catholic Church for free on the condition that the Church helped carry the burden of its restoration costs to prevent tragedies like this. Despite sitting on a fortune of millions made by pillaging and stealing artifacts from the age of Christian expansion, the church has been extremely stingy in putting any money forward at all, sort of expecting France to foot the bill entirely. What would France do, kick the Catholic Church out of one of its most iconic buildings? The Church has made millions from tourists and worshipers from that site and to expect that to go to the coffers of the Vatican whilst the public pays for Notre Dame out of empathy and a sense of duty would be highly immoral.

Edit: After a little research, I've found that the Catholic Church branches in Italy, Germany and Australia alone have a combined net worth of $85 billion. How much of that do you think will go towards what will amount to a couple million dollar project?

Last edited by ShineintheDark; April 16th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:21 AM   #23
Snowfox
Member++

Name: Pyry

News around here are mixed it could have happened by accident but could have been terrorist attack too. Sad here
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:34 AM   #24
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
News around here are mixed it could have happened by accident but could have been terrorist attack too. Sad here
Pretty much confirmed to have been an electrical fault from the restoration efforts that wasn't contained in time and ended up engulfing the whole cathedral. If a terrorist was to attack it, fire would be far too slow and inefficient a method.
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:24 PM   #25
Snowfox
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
Pretty much confirmed to have been an electrical fault from the restoration efforts that wasn't contained in time and ended up engulfing the whole cathedral. If a terrorist was to attack it, fire would be far too slow and inefficient a method.
all methods are used by terrorists. Basicly they use what ever way they can use. And when we know how french police has been infiltrated by terrorists they will surely cover it up
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #26
Zika
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
The burning of Notre Dame is truly heartbreaking and hundreds of years of history and culture have now been lost. However, not a penny of public money should go towards its restoration. The church, whilst officially owned by the French government, was leased to the Catholic Church for free on the condition that the Church helped carry the burden of its restoration costs to prevent tragedies like this. Despite sitting on a fortune of millions made by pillaging and stealing artifacts from the age of Christian expansion, the church has been extremely stingy in putting any money forward at all, sort of expecting France to foot the bill entirely. What would France do, kick the Catholic Church out of one of its most iconic buildings? The Church has made millions from tourists and worshipers from that site and to expect that to go to the coffers of the Vatican whilst the public pays for Notre Dame out of empathy and a sense of duty would be highly immoral.

Edit: After a little research, I've found that the Catholic Church branches in Italy, Germany and Australia alone have a combined net worth of $85 billion. How much of that do you think will go towards what will amount to a couple million dollar project?

This seems a bit out of place in a thread like this and I'm surprised it comes from you.
It's somewhat like posting the dark side of a person in the immediate aftermath of their death.
I was going to make a comment about Trump in my post in this thread, but felt it's not the place for political commentary.

Let people grieve.
There's plenty of time to analyze the church's history.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:17 PM   #27
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
This seems a bit out of place in a thread like this and I'm surprised it comes from you.
It's somewhat like posting the dark side of a person in the immediate aftermath of their death.
I was going to make a comment about Trump in my post in this thread, but felt it's not the place for political commentary.

Let people grieve.
There's plenty of time to analyze the church's history.
I'm sorry if you thought my post was in any way political or taking away from the tragedy. As I stated at the beginning, I genuinely do feel sadness for the destruction of such an iconic and important building that has acted as a national symbol for the French for hundreds of years. However, especially with Macron now announcing the intention of the French government to have it restored within 5 years, I feel it's a natural part of the conversation to discuss what happens going forward with the restoration and who must take responsibility for helping pay for its reconstruction. To discuss the cathedral's history without mentioning whose responsibility it was to care for the church and how they failed to do so would be to ignore a very important part of the tragedy.

An analogy that many are using here in the UK is the tragedy of Grenfell Tower when a tower block went up in flames and many people perished in the fire. To mourn the loss of those people is one part of the conversation that must be had. To discuss the failure of the local council to ensure that they tower was up to regulation for fireproofing and health & safety is equally important. How can we move on from a tragedy correctly if we don't acknowledge why it happened?
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:32 PM   #28
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

The bells on that church rang in 1389 after the Battle of Kosovo against the Ottomans. Sad for a monument to history. Shame other destroyed monuments don't get that much coverage.

Still, it can be rebuilt. I am all for the Catholic Church footing the bill. I mean, if it's leased to someone, that someone has to pay for upkeep. Restoration and rebuilding being one of them.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #29
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

Notre Dame will be restored and it will be rebuilt. Maybe even cultural renewed.

What bothers me about the whole tragedy is that they over-dramatize the loss of cultural treasures and ignore similar losses in the history of this building.

Many things during those losses aren't therefore as old as the building itself and were later simply replaced by replicas or such. And not to forget the many alterations that took place during all the centuries which changed the appearance of the cathedral more or less till our times.

In the history of such buildings, catastrophes like the fire a day ago are just another destructive event in the cathedrals history.

A great catastrophe for contemporary witnesses, but only a historical footnote in the entire history of the cathedral.

Tbh, to me it is much more important and remarkable that no one came to harm.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 11:28 AM   #30
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Nobody came to harm is the silver lining here or at least I think so.

My second thought was, the renovation company team is cutting corners on safety probably.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 08:36 PM   #31
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

so tragic. so much history. I am bummed I never got to see it. I am bummed for the city of Paris and those who worshiped there regularly.

20 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 11:14 PM   #32
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

You should meet my sis. She lives and studies arts in Paris and was completely down when that fire happened. Last summer she spent a lot of time in, in front and around of the cathedral and drew it from different angles and perspectives. She was even ready to destroy these sketches and the resulting painting. Luckily, I could talk her out of it. But I'll probably never get it why some folks can react such emotional.

Old April 18th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #33
ProbsNotInteresting

ProbsNotInteresting's Forum Picture

Name: Connor

Quote:
all methods are used by terrorists. Basicly they use what ever way they can use. And when we know how french police has been infiltrated by terrorists they will surely cover it up
Since when have French police been infiltrated? That sounds like a highly dubious conspiracy theory.
ProbsNotInteresting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 12:03 PM   #34
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

imo, conspiracy theories all are of highly dubious nature.

Old April 19th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #35
Bakingboy03

Bakingboy03's Forum Picture

Name: B

So sad.

PM anytime and we will chat!🙂
Bakingboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #36
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Terrorists would rather use a bomb and make sure it explodes when there is the most people, rather than set a fire in the rafters when there is no one inside.

Check the facts before spreading out stupid, nonsense rumors
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #37
Snowfox
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
Terrorists would rather use a bomb and make sure it explodes when there is the most people, rather than set a fire in the rafters when there is no one inside.

Check the facts before spreading out stupid, nonsense rumors
What ever method is available at current moment is used. Terror attack may be against group of people like it usually is or it can be attack against holy site like church or mosque or what ever temple. So it also matters what is current object of those terrorists.