Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Phosphene
Word Shaker
 
Phosphene's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 27, 2016
Location: The Crystal Kaleidoscope
Age: 17
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 22
Default Some questions regarding... questioning

Alright, so this can be a sensitive topic, but I'm curious to know your thoughts and experiences with the following:

Have you ever questioned the religion you were brought up believing in? what were the reasons for it? Do you still believe in it, and why? What caused your beliefs to change? How long did the questioning period last, and what ended it - for example, adopting the beliefs and practices of another religion you agreed with more or made the decision to disassociate from a belief system (or vice versa, in the case of atheists/agnostics)? Are you content with your decision?

Since one of the pillars of this thread is to talk about things you have come to disagree with, please remember to keep all responses respectful. This isn't a debate or a "who's right/who's wrong" discussion, just relating personal experiences, so no personal offense should be taken at any time.

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by an anonymous, totally Satanist and Socialist ginger
Satan was kicked out for being different
God must be a republican
Phosphene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

Have you ever questioned the religion you were brought up believing in?

Nope, cause I wasn't brought up believe in something but just accepting the fact, that some folks feel the need to belief in some stuff.



What were the reasons for it? therefore, the were no reasons. I grew into it what I answered above.


Do you still believe in it, and why? I don't believe in anything but see it as a fact that we are spritual beings with no attempt to explain why that's so.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:56 PM   #3
HeyCameron
Member++
 
HeyCameron's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cameron
Join Date: August 15, 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

I was raised in a fairly casual religious environment. My mom is religious (Christian), my dad is not, but my mom is not particularly devout or conservative. Nothing was drilled into my head, but I was raised to believe what my mom and the Church she belongs to believed. The more I examined it the big picture, the more I came to reject the idea that there's one true religion and everyone else is f*cked. My religious beliefs are my own now, not just the product of following someone else's. But they're also still evolving, so the "questioning" period isn't over for me. It's something that's ongoing, the more I learn about religion and philosophy and hone my own beliefs.

I spent a year suspended in air...my mind on the gap, my head on the stairs
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:29 AM   #4
centreoftheuniverse
Junior Member+
 
centreoftheuniverse's Forum Picture
 
Name: sophia
Join Date: July 14, 2018
Location: ireland
Age: 14
Gender: Female
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

my family aren't hardcore catholic, but we were raised going to mass, getting communion, saying prayers when someone died, etc. but "god" never seemed to answer my prayers. i found witchcraft a few years ago, and it just clicked with me. so now, i'm a witch and happier than ever.
centreoftheuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Oscar2005
Member+
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphene View Post
Alright, so this can be a sensitive topic, but I'm curious to know your thoughts and experiences with the following:

Have you ever questioned the religion you were brought up believing in? what were the reasons for it? Do you still believe in it, and why? What caused your beliefs to change? How long did the questioning period last, and what ended it - for example, adopting the beliefs and practices of another religion you agreed with more or made the decision to disassociate from a belief system (or vice versa, in the case of atheists/agnostics)? Are you content with your decision?

Since one of the pillars of this thread is to talk about things you have come to disagree with, please remember to keep all responses respectful. This isn't a debate or a "who's right/who's wrong" discussion, just relating personal experiences, so no personal offense should be taken at any time.
My family are catholics but i dont agree with everything. Especially i dont agree that being gay is wrong and that gay people should go to hell. If they are happy together and dont harm anyone, why should we judge them wrong ?
I also dont agree that if you dont believe in god, you should go to hell. If you did good things and help out other people, you dont belong there
Oscar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Jake445
Nice Poster
 
Name: Jake
Join Date: September 22, 2017
Location: Australia
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

My sister and I were and are raised without religion but we would be free to adopt one if we wanted to, which we don't. I don't think kids should be raised with religion as that's something they should be able to choose later in life as an informed decision.

Fourteen, Twin.
Feel free to PM and or add me.
Jake445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Oscar2005
Member+
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake445 View Post
I don't think kids should be raised with religion as that's something they should be able to choose later in life as an informed decision.
Religion is a part of our education, parents give children religious values because they are good
Oscar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Katie2003
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Katelynn
Join Date: May 22, 2018
Location: very small town in rural area
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

I'm very comfortable in my religion and attend church regularly with my family. I don't see any reason to question something that works well for me. I have friends who attend churches of different religions and we get along well and I also have friends who have never been inside a church and are still good people with strong values.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2018, 04:46 AM   #9
Oscar2005
Member+
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
I'm very comfortable in my religion and attend church regularly with my family. I don't see any reason to question something that works well for me. I have friends who attend churches of different religions and we get along well and I also have friends who have never been inside a church and are still good people with strong values.
That's what I meant, but you said it so much better than I
Oscar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
Falcons_11
VT Lover
 
Join Date: October 12, 2015
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

My family isn't religious. My mom was raised a Catholic and my dad wasn't raised in any religion. I don't see the necessity of going to church every Sunday. Being religious doesn't make you a decent and good person. It's how you are feel about yourself and have good moral values that make you a good person. My parents are decent and moral people. They have taught me and my siblings those values. That's all that really counts. I do believe that there is a God. But he doesn't control our lives.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #11
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

I was raised Catholic, I eventually found out about the whole child sex ring thing and decided I didn't want to support pedophilia.

Seriously though I found that they were some contractions in the story, so I started asking question and do research and found out it was all bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 03:29 AM   #12
Oscar2005
Member+
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Some questions regarding... questioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I was raised Catholic, I eventually found out about the whole child sex ring thing and decided I didn't want to support pedophilia.

Seriously though I found that they were some contractions in the story, so I started asking question and do research and found out it was all bullshit.
Child sex is only a few priests, not the majority...

Also, you have the right not to believe in something, but dont call it bullshit just because you dont believe it
Likes: (1)
Oscar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org