Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Rebelion

Rebelion's Forum Picture

Name: Zack
Default What the frick

Why is add and adhd considered a mental illness in vt that pises me off. If your a administrer and your reading this I kindly ask you to Change The classification of this forum. add is not a mental illness.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Dimitri
----ΣΑΕ----

Dimitri's Forum Picture

Name: Robert
Default Re: What the frick

Public Medical Health

Home > Diseases and Conditions > Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)

ADD; ADHD; Childhood hyperkinesis
Last reviewed: April 11, 2011.

ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. For these problems to be diagnosed as ADHD, they must be out of the normal range for a child's age and development.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

ADHD is the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder of childhood. It affects about 3 - 5% of school aged children. ADHD is diagnosed much more often in boys than in girls.
ADHD may run in families, but it is not clear exactly what causes it. Whatever the cause may be, it seems to be set in motion early in life as the brain is developing. Imaging studies suggest that the brains of children with ADHD are different from those of other children.
Depression, lack of sleep, learning disabilities, tic disorders, and behavior problems may be confused with, or appear with, ADHD. Every child suspected of having ADHD should be carefully examined by a doctor to rule out possible other conditions or reasons for the behavior.
Most children with ADHD also have at least one other developmental or behavioral problem. They may also have a psychiatric problem, such as depression or bipolar disorder.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

ADHD is the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder of childhood. It affects about 3 - 5% of school aged children. ADHD is diagnosed much more often in boys than in girls.
ADHD may run in families, but it is not clear exactly what causes it. Whatever the cause may be, it seems to be set in motion early in life as the brain is developing. Imaging studies suggest that the brains of children with ADHD are different from those of other children.
Depression, lack of sleep, learning disabilities, tic disorders, and behavior problems may be confused with, or appear with, ADHD. Every child suspected of having ADHD should be carefully examined by a doctor to rule out possible other conditions or reasons for the behavior.
Most children with ADHD also have at least one other developmental or behavioral problem. They may also have a psychiatric problem, such as depression or bipolar disorder.

I have placed a large amount of emphasis on the term Behavioral DISORDER.

If you have nay other questions please feel free to e-mail me.

The information provided by myself is not a substitute for that of a LICENSED PHYSICIAN.
----
Quote:
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
Quote:
“Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #3
TheMatrix
Retired G(M)od

TheMatrix's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas

^^This.

If ADD isn't an illness, what is it then?

Signature by Jon 'n Mike
Formerly at your service as GD Moderator(2011-2012) and Global Moderator(2012-2014).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The chat, sometime in November 2011
4:22 PM [idkgay] what does infract men i mesan realy ppl use english
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsethfitz View Post
You are so foolish and "OFF TOPIC" as you mods always like to jump at stuff about.
~Ron was here~
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Ambrosia
Awesome Poster

Ambrosia's Forum Picture

Name: Lexi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
^^This.

If ADD isn't an illness, what is it then?
And, this^

You can't really classify it as anything else. It may not really be an ILLNESS to you but it is something to do with your mental health, and it can, can be kept under control by medicines, and all of the things associated with a mental illness.

I'm pretty sure no one was trying to be rude or mean by putting it in the psyc ward, but it's the best place for it.

-Retired Global Moderator-
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:06 AM   #5
kukachoo42

kukachoo42's Forum Picture

Name: Jaelin

it even says it in the name. DISORDER. get it straight, people.

we sing.we dance.we love.
Lights will guide you home And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you.

Why is it that when stupid people don't understand the words coming out of your mouth, it's your fault? #morons #itscalledadictionary
No change, no separation, not even death, can end love. Love lasts forever.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Name: Megan

To be honest, I more view ADD/ADHD as a personality type, not a disorder or mental problem. I have ADD. It is who I am. I don't take medication because there is nothing wrong with me.
The medicine I used to take back when I was first 'diagnosed' actually ended up making me depressed. In essence, it turned me into someone I wasn't.
Now, I understand why ADD is placed where it is on this forum. My opinion isn't the only one that counts, and I think its a good thing that its here for others to learn from and relate to each other. I just don't agree with classifying it as a mental illness. It's much too harsh and gives ADD a VERY negative connotation.

I'd never tell someone I have a 'mental illness.' Most people aren't educated in that type of thing and they assume the worst. ADD isn't nearly as 'bad' as other mental illesses/disorders, so most people don't view it so negatively.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Marc5
Banned

Name: Marc

maybe because you take meds. meds tend to equate to illness, it's a mental issue, so mental illness? just a guess. maybe they'll move it for ya !
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach14 View Post
Why is add and adhd considered a mental illness in vt that pises me off. If your a administrer and your reading this I kindly ask you to Change The classification of this forum. add is not a mental illness.
It would have to be a mental ilness for my little cousin to break my £500 laptop

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Painted_Indian_Horse
Member+

Painted_Indian_Horse's Forum Picture

Name: Morgan

is this for real? are you a fucking troll?

ADD/ADHD is a real disorder. who are you to just ask the mods to change the forums just for you?

fanfiction/fictionpress pen name:xPrincetonx
PM me if you need to talk, I will give you my e-mail. I'll be there for anyone who needs me.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Unsolvedmind
Nice Poster

Unsolvedmind's Forum Picture

Name: Jeremy

I have ADD and it stands for Attention Deficit Disorder
Just stating it

I am Unsolvedmind and I approve my post!
I Am Bisexual
Be yourself and people will accept for who you are and you will always be loved
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Tenoramic
Member+

Tenoramic's Forum Picture

Name: Tenoramic

I know it's hard ADD is difficult
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #12
aperson444
Member++

aperson444's Forum Picture

Name: Richik

ADD and ADHD are both personality types and disorders. They are disorders in the sense that they may not be bad, but the brains of ADD patients are physiologically and psychologically different from those of people without ADD/ADHD. Thus, one can say that in order to survive in this highly conforming society, one must think of ADD/ADHD as psychiatric disorders.

Feel free to hit me up, I'm a pretty friendly guy. And who knows, I might have good advice
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Bob_

Name: Bob

I have ADHD, and I'd beg to differ that it's not a mental disorder. I not too long ago started taking medication after being diagnosed over summer. I laughed, because it was so obvious already to my family, friends, and I. I struggled in school my whole life, taking something for what was originally thought to be just a short attention span (lol @ that nowadays). So far this year, I've maintained about a B average, and people around me say I'm more committed to my work. To say this disorder isn't a mental disorder would be very much wrong. The fact that it is unlike serious mental illnesses, does not make it any less of a condition.

Advice: THINK before you post about how one of the most common, yet often un-diagnosed, disorders in teens isn't an illness on a site DIRECTED AT TEENS. ^.^
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Sogeking
An Old Ghost

Sogeking's Forum Picture

Question answered and bump

Closed Thread