Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

screamtobeheard's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda
Unhappy Panic Attacks?

So...Panic attacks. Does anyone get them? Or have any tips for when you get them? Because I could use them. I get them, but I hadn't had one in a really long time until today...I hate them. Seriously unpleasant stuff. And I don't mean like when you get really stressed out and you can't handle everything and you start freaking out. I mean the real panic attacks. When you're sweating, you can barely breath, crying hysterically, your chest hurts, you're shaking, you feel sick and lightheaded...all that stuff for no reason and you feel panicked for no reason...

Sorry that question kind of turned into a rant, but I really needed to let that out...
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2
soccer8

soccer8's Forum Picture

Name: Jace
Default Re: Panic Attacks?

if you want help i write a story with a girl who has panic attacks first what sets them off then i can help from there

Quote:
“Find a guy who calls u butiful instead of hot, who calls u back when u hang up on him, or will stay awake just to watch u sleep. wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who holds ur hand in front of his friends, who thinks u're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding u of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have u. The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her/him.'”
Darkness is so..Predictable
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

I don't really know. It can really be anything, I suppose. But it's usually something little. I think the reason they're starting back up is because I haven't been cutting to deal with stuff since it's summer (not that that's a bad thing), but it's letting me get stressed out and not realize it. Like the one yesterday, I just couldn't get my earring back in my ear and I started panicking. Could be anything though, it all depends.
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #4
soccer8

soccer8's Forum Picture

Name: Jace

those sound more like your really stressed out and your not panicking in a real sense your more of having a stressed out break down

Quote:
“Find a guy who calls u butiful instead of hot, who calls u back when u hang up on him, or will stay awake just to watch u sleep. wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who holds ur hand in front of his friends, who thinks u're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding u of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have u. The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her/him.'”
Darkness is so..Predictable
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #5
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

No, a panic attack is characterized by the symptoms you experience while it occurs and generally they're brought on by nothing that's worth panicking about. When I'm having a stress related break down it's way different.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Ryhanna
Awesome Poster

Ryhanna's Forum Picture

Name: Ryan

Amanda, I know exactly what you're talking about. I get them too... I get them mainly for school. It's kept me home sooo many times and I damn well hate it to death.

I can't breathe, I cry hysterically and act like a crazy person. To help me get past it I use lavender oil, I'd rub some on my temples... I sleep often and make sure I get plenty. I think as positivley as possible.

If you want to talk more about it, just PM/VM me. It's always great to have some support, especially from someone who knows what your going through.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Dunce
Nice Poster

Dunce's Forum Picture

Name: Aoife

I used to get them lots. And I used to do mad things to 'take my mind off it' like climbing out the window or running in circles, seriously, and I would be hyperventilating,crying,shaking and rubbing my hands together(anyone feel like theyre hands get really thin when the have a panic attack?) at the same time. So I decided to just sit there and let them pass instead of doing crazy "lighthearted" things.

There's this thing I do, count to 10 slowly over and over again until you calm down. It worked for me when my panic attack was only coming on so I dont really know if it works on big panic attacks.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #8
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm definitely going to try them. And, awful as it is, it kinda feels good to know that I'm not the only one who gets them or feels absolutely crazy when I get them.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Chris95
Awesome Poster

I have Social Anxiety Disorder, and I had a moderate panic attack yesterday. I was in the store and it started, so I had my mom sit me down and get me some water to drink. I just had to wait it out.

But the reason it was so significant was because I hadn't told my mom I had SAD yet. But she seemed so freaked out by it, that I told her, so she would know what was causing it. After her "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YET" moment calmed down, she said she'd take me to a doctor soon to get treated. So I guess that was a rare occurrence of a helpful panic attack.

Last edited by Chris95; July 4th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Nickk XD
Member++

Nickk XD's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Panic attacks are usually related to other medical conditions that should be evaluated by a family doctor.

There is a relatively successful technique available. Put a rubber band (big enough not to squeeze too hard) around your wrist. Each time you have a panic attack, snap the rubber band 10 times...repeat until it leaves. Usually, it goes away within first 10 times.

Now accepting PMs, so send me one! PMs that solicit me for internet sex, prostitution, meeting, or anything else inappropriate and/or illegal for the internet is not acceptable and will IMMEDIATELY be reported and appropriate action will be taken.
Did you find my post helpful?

My expertise: drugs & meds and various health questions related to puberty.
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #11
Vurtine

Vurtine's Forum Picture

Name: ryan

speak to someone about it, don't bottle it up!
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #12
1_21Guns
Val's bitch. ;)

1_21Guns's Forum Picture

Name: Natalie

I get them quite frequently. Just focus on your breathing to calm yourself down, if they're constant go to the doctors if your worried. Try and work out what triggers them too.

Old June 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #13
worshiper
Banned

Panic attacks are once dismissed as nerves or stress, but they are now recognized as a real medical condition. Although panic attacks can significantly affect your quality of life, treatment is very effective. Although the exact cause of panic disorder is not fully understood, studies have shown that a combination of factors, including biological and environmental, may be involved. These factors include.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #14
rosesteven23
Banned

Name: rosesteven23

The cause of Panic Attacks are fear or discomfort. It is a response of the sympathetic nervous system.
The common symptoms are shortness of breath, chest pain, hot flash, light-headedness, sweating, nausea, and dizziness.
The treatment for Panic Attacks are psychological therapies and medication.
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #15
Painted_Indian_Horse
Member+

Painted_Indian_Horse's Forum Picture

Name: Morgan

i know what your talking about, and it sucks. all i can say to help is breath deeply and rest a minute. drink some water. watch something funny. i have been in a constant state of anxiety lately, and these things seem to take the edge off. i hope this helps you.
a professional can help deal with anxious thoughts. i have therapist, and she helps me see that the things i panic about are trivial. just remember it's only temporary. and the more you focus on it, the worse it will become.

fanfiction/fictionpress pen name:xPrincetonx
PM me if you need to talk, I will give you my e-mail. I'll be there for anyone who needs me.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Oh my god, someone else feels like their hands get really thin when they have a panic attack too? I thought that was just me! One day I looked at my hands and was like 'Hey, they're bony when I'm upset'!
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Jenna.
Nice Poster

Jenna.'s Forum Picture

Name: Jenna

Ugh, I know them all too well. I actually haven't gotten one for a long time, but I will get them occasionally, so it's probably going to happen kinda soon. Random things can set me off. Sometimes I'm stressing about school or whatnot and I'll have one, other times I'll panic and think something is happening when it's not, for example...one time I was convinced there was something stuck in my throat and I had a major panic attack about it. My boyfriend was with me and had to calm me down, and once I was settled, only then did I finally realize there was nothing in my throat after all, my glands were just swollen cause I had a cold. Lol I know that makes me sound like I'm nuts but I hope you see where I'm coming from.
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #18
Weeping
Awesome Poster

Weeping's Forum Picture

Name: Elvira

Well, haven't had one since the beginning of this year.. kinda..
But before, I had them like at least (often more than) once a day..
And ya, that sucked.. Bigtime.
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #19
jamieallover

jamieallover's Forum Picture

Name: JamieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamtobeheard View Post
So...Panic attacks. Does anyone get them? Or have any tips for when you get them? Because I could use them. I get them, but I hadn't had one in a really long time until today...I hate them. Seriously unpleasant stuff. And I don't mean like when you get really stressed out and you can't handle everything and you start freaking out. I mean the real panic attacks. When you're sweating, you can barely breath, crying hysterically, your chest hurts, you're shaking, you feel sick and lightheaded...all that stuff for no reason and you feel panicked for no reason...

Sorry that question kind of turned into a rant, but I really needed to let that out...
I constantly have panic attacks. It's like a daily thing with me. And also, I will say that if you ever need anyone to calm you down during these, feel free to message me and I'll help you through it

There's a bunch of different techniques I use for when I feel an attack coming on. You can:
1) Clench your fists as hard as you can, it takes alot of strenth out of you. Hold it for about ten seconds and then release slowly. Usually this technique alone does wonders for me. It takes out all the anxiety building up inside you and is released the second you open your fist.
2) Sometimes, if you hyperventilate on purpose, the intensity of the attack is automatically less. Considering there is no reason to be hyperventilating at the time, it confuses the mind into thinking that you've already paniced when in reality, you haven't.
3) Sit down with a paper and pen, try to figure out what is the cause of when you have these panic attacks. Is it how something looks? Is it an emotion that is triggered at a certain time, event, or place?

You can google over millions of techniques to help you with your panic attacks. But honestly, techniques are just a temporary relief. Talk to your parents and see if you can talk to your doctor about scheduling an appointment with either a psychologist or psychiatrist. They do wonders and can definitely help you figure out what all of your attacks stem from and possibly get you on a medicine to help regulate them.

Hope I helped!

My scars remind me, that the past is real;
I tear my heart open, just to feel.

Talk to me! I don't bite, <3
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #20
Kaius
Banned

Name: Aaron

Don't bump threads please, check the date before posting
Closed Thread