Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 139 13.43%
Atheism 312 30.14%
Buddhism 12 1.16%
Christianity (Please Specify) 412 39.81%
Hinduism 9 0.87%
Islam 33 3.19%
Judaism 17 1.64%
Wicca 17 1.64%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.12%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2501
Amnesiac
Lost Child

Amnesiac's Forum Picture

Name: Justin
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtobackawesome View Post
how do you know god doesnt exist? very rational.

atheists = people lacking morality

if your angry at god oh well im praying bro
You're the stereotypical example of a zealous Christian who has absolutely no idea of the fundamentals of debating or conducting a reasonable, rational conversation. I see too much of this on the Internet and in society. It's ridiculous.

YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK HERE. YOU MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

Also, to suggest that because someone doesn't believe in your horribly violent God they don't have morals is absolutely inane. You may want to do some more research before you accuse the non-religious and secularists of "lacking morality". Religion isn't necessary to establish a moral code anymore. Maybe 2,000 years ago, when the human race wasn't fully civilized, but certainly not in a modern age where secular ethics are the basis for government.

I don't believe in morality, anyway. I believe in individual rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
Yeah, I'd be depressed too if I listened to Chad Kroeger.
Amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #2502
Deschain
Peach Plum Pear

Deschain's Forum Picture

Name: Sweet Pea

Quote:
Trying to force my religion and beliefs on others is a concept that goes against the teachings of my own religion....
The roman catholics killed people who didn't pay taxes to the church. Didn't you ever read In the Name of the Rose?

~Lawrence~

~Laura was here~
For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.
Deschain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #2503
Efflorescence
Member++

Efflorescence's Forum Picture

Name: D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
The roman catholics killed people who didn't pay taxes to the church. Didn't you ever read In the Name of the Rose?
Dude, was I one of those Roman Catholics who did that? No.. so what the hell is your problem?

Last edited by Efflorescence; September 4th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Efflorescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #2504
TheOldBrigade

Name: Brandon

I'm kinda transitioning between christian & Odinism.
TheOldBrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2505
Deschain
Peach Plum Pear

Deschain's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Dude, was I one of those Roman Catholics who did that? No.. so what the hell is your problem?
I don't have a problem. I'm just saying that the roman catholics killed people who weren't a part of their religion. And every roman catholic I've ever met are one of those ones who think that every other religions are bad and people who follow them are going to hell.

I think you're against it. But your religion sure as hell thinks otherwise.

~Lawrence~

~Laura was here~
For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2506
Iris
Awesome Poster

Iris's Forum Picture

I was watching a TV show called Misfits and in this episode someone was claiming to be Jesus, resurrected, and used his new followers to get sex and money. I thought I'd share this scene:

Because it's so true. Religions will command their followers not to perform certain acts, but suddenly someone will come along and break a rule, often with the cost being hundreds of lives, for the sake of God, because apparently God changed its mind. It's ridiculous.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2507
Coolcat1314

Coolcat1314's Forum Picture

we all "know" our faith is right because of that word faith. faith is believing in something u cant see or isnt concrete.the only way we can be sure that we were right is after death.

by the way this is my 50th post! yay!
Coolcat1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2508
Efflorescence
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
I don't have a problem. I'm just saying that the roman catholics killed people who weren't a part of their religion. And every roman catholic I've ever met are one of those ones who think that every other religions are bad and people who follow them are going to hell.

I think you're against it. But your religion sure as hell thinks otherwise.
You're mixing things up. It's not my 'religion' that thinks otherwise. It's 'some people' that think otherwise. Let me show you what I mean:

If there is a singer and he sings a song......and this singer is rubbish, does that necessarily mean that the song is rubbish as well? You have to distinguish between the 'song' and the 'singer' i. e. between the 'religion' and the 'people'.

I have Roman Catholics at school who are horrible just as I know plenty of atheists who are horrible. Does that mean that their 'religion' or in this case 'no religion' is horrible? NO. Does that give me the right to say 'All atheists are horrible because many of the atheists I've met are horrible?' NO.....so I definitely do not see your point here.

Last edited by Efflorescence; September 6th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2509
Sage
Banned

Name: Sage

Quote:
If there is a singer and he sings a song......and this singer is rubbish, does that necessarily mean that the song is rubbish as well? You have to distinguish between the 'song' and the 'singer' i. e. between the 'religion' and the 'people'.=
Would you be willing to argue that there's no such thing as a rubbish song, then?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2510
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Would you be willing to argue that there's no such thing as a rubbish song, then?
Even though that's a good analogy our guy did, I have to give him that. But it's good that you point out the flaw in that analogy. Saying that a particular song is rubbish is purely subjective, other may view it differently.

Such as religion. To the religious, they don't realize that stoning a person to death is such a bad thing.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2511
Efflorescence
Member++

Quote:
And then there's another thing.....if a song is rubbish to me, then that doesn't necessarily mean that it's rubbish to everyone. If you tell me 'Your religion is rubbish', then I will immediately strike back by telling you 'What if your religion or in this case your 'no religion' is rubbish?" It's my word against yours. This is not Maths....where 1+1=2 and that's it, it's not as simple as that.......

My religion is as real to me as much as your 'no religion' is real to you...if you get the point here.

Quote:
And then there's another thing.....if a song is rubbish to me, then that doesn't necessarily mean that it's rubbish to everyone. If you tell me 'Your religion is rubbish', then I will immediately strike back by telling you 'What if your religion or in this case your 'no religion' is rubbish?" It's my word against yours. This is not Maths....where 1+1=2 and that's it, it's not as simple as that.......

My religion is as real to me as much as your 'no religion' is real to you...if you get the point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Nomad View Post
Even though that's a good analogy our guy did, I have to give him that. But it's good that you point out the flaw in that analogy. Saying that a particular song is rubbish is purely subjective, other may view it differently.

Such as religion. To the religious, they don't realize that stoning a person to death is such a bad thing.
First of all sorry I double posted.........

Second of all, again, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. Why do you keep saying 'to the religious' as if we have all the same DNA and we're all programmed to do the same thing like frikkin robots? It's just not fair to judge like that.

Last edited by Commander Thor; September 8th, 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Tripple posts merged
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #2512
Sage
Banned

Quote:
I'm afraid you have a laughably liberal grasp of reality, then.
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2513
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
And then there's another thing.....if a song is rubbish to me, then that doesn't necessarily mean that it's rubbish to everyone.
Here's the first problem - You're comparing religion to a song, using the subjective idea of music as of religion also being subjective.

Religion is quite objective though and it does force most people to think without an opinion, mainly because you don't have an opinion in the first place because the religion has pretty much built your entire philosophy.

Quote:
If you tell me 'Your religion is rubbish', then I will immediately strike back by telling you 'What if your religion or in this case your 'no religion' is rubbish?"
Well then I would probably ask for your proof, evidence, or just general points to prove that I'm wrong, then I would come back with my points until someone gives up. That's typically how the whole religion argument goes, except the religious person will stick his/her fingers in their ears and go, "LALALALA" to not listen when they're forced to actually THINK.

Quote:
First of all sorry I double posted.........

Second of all, again, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush. Why do you keep saying 'to the religious' as if we have all the same DNA and we're all programmed to do the same thing like frikkin robots? It's just not fair to judge like that.
Heh, in a way most of you do believe, worship and program exactly like robots without thinking for a second about how idiotic some of the things that happen in the Bible actually are.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2514
Efflorescence
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Here's the first problem - You're comparing religion to a song, using the subjective idea of music as of religion also being subjective.

Religion is quite objective though and it does force most people to think without an opinion, mainly because you don't have an opinion in the first place because the religion has pretty much built your entire philosophy.

Bravo. That's exactly what I mean by 'closed-minded'. Maybe I can say the fact that you're an atheist has built much your entire philosophy too. Can I say that? NO. And your implication that I don't have an opinion just because I'm religious is ridiculous....I have an opinion because above all I'm a UNIQUE individual.

Quote:
Well then I would probably ask for your proof, evidence, or just general points to prove that I'm wrong, then I would come back with my points until someone gives up. That's typically how the whole religion argument goes, except the religious person will stick his/her fingers in their ears and go, "LALALALA" to not listen when they're forced to actually THINK.

Does what I'm going to say really make any difference to you? You have already judged me......you told me what I'm going to say before you even gave me the opportunity to open my mouth.

Quote:
Heh, in a way most of you do believe, worship and program exactly like robots without thinking for a second about how idiotic some of the things that happen in the Bible actually are.
Again, 'idiotic' to you. Don't you think that I have my doubts too? Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, I doubt the existence of God at times, especially when considering the fact that I'm a science student, with the intention of becoming a doctor? Yes, I am after all human.

Quote:
I'm afraid you have a laughably liberal grasp of reality, then.
Define 'reality'.....are you implying that 'reality' is what YOU believe in?

Last edited by Commander Thor; September 8th, 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Double posts merged
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #2515
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
Bravo. That's exactly what I mean by 'closed-minded'. Maybe I can say the fact that you're an atheist has built much your entire philosophy too.
Heh. I chose my atheism. My setting in where I live is very Christian and I've also been by other religions in my life, so I wouldn't consider my coming to atheism as closed minded when I've faced many different forms of beliefs.

What builds most of my philosophy is evidence and personal experience.

Quote:
Can I say that? NO. And your implication that I don't have an opinion just because I'm religious is ridiculous....I have an opinion because above all I'm a UNIQUE individual.
And what's so UNIQUE about you?

Quote:
Does what I'm going to say really make any difference to you? You have already judged me......you told me what I'm going to say before you even gave me the opportunity to open my mouth.
I'm still letting you talk. I'm not shutting you up. Speak as free and loud as you want. I'll listen and debate it.

Quote:
Again, 'idiotic' to you.
Any rational person would agree that being forced to marry the woman you raped as a punishment is quite idiotic, which is something that happens in the Bible.

Quote:
Don't you think that I have my doubts too? Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, I doubt the existence of God at times, especially when considering the fact that I'm a science student, with the intention of becoming a doctor? Yes, I am after all human.
I don't know you, so I don't know of your doubts and I can't give a foresight view when all I've had in words with you is a small conversation on VT.

Also, many Doctors are Christian and other religions. All because you have to learn SCIENCE doesn't mean you have magically faced the bold opinions of atheism and now you've gotten the strength of faith to be a Christian with the illusion of being open minded, which is pretty much every damn apologetic on this planet.

Quote:
Define 'reality'.....are you implying that 'reality' is what YOU believe in?
Stop with that fake pseudo philosophical try hard to be deep thing you have going on. Don't try to impress people on this site, there's no point.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2516
Sage
Banned

Quote:
Define 'reality'.....
Everything that exists regardless of our perception.

Quote:
are you implying that 'reality' is what YOU believe in?
No, that's what you're implying, and it's stupid.
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2517
Deschain
Peach Plum Pear

Deschain's Forum Picture

Oh, might I add that when I said your religion, I mean what is said by the religious texts. Which I'm assuming is what you base your religious beliefs on. Which is subjective.

You pick and choose parts of the bible, because you kinda have to now. Humanity has taken quite the step since that book's been written. I know there are different people who have different views. That's. What I meant by saying you think that. But your religion, in the literal form, without modern bias says otherwise. But now, like I've said before, people just like to claim that god was either just kidding, or he fucked up. When actually its just not true, and its a book filled with lies an-

Oops. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give you a spoiler. How rude of me.

~Lawrence~

~Laura was here~
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #2518
Efflorescence
Member++

Quote:
Heh. I chose my atheism. My setting in where I live is very Christian and I've also been by other religions in my life, so I wouldn't consider my coming to atheism as closed minded when I've faced many different forms of beliefs.
Do you know for sure if that's not what happened to me as well? Perhaps I was one of those who didn't chose Christianity because 'everyone was doing it' and by the way, just for your info, one of my friends is an atheist so even I have faced and seen different beliefs.

Quote:
And what's so UNIQUE about you?

Well, first of all I have a different genotype (genetic material, DNA) than all the other people in the world. And second of all, my nurture (my upbringing, the experiences I faced in life) are unlike the others' so...yes I am unique.

Quote:
Any rational person would agree that being forced to marry the woman you raped as a punishment is quite idiotic, which is something that happens in the Bible.
Very good, you've just realized that the Bible cannot be taken word for word and that people have flaws.

Quote:
Stop with that fake pseudo philosophical try hard to be deep thing you have going on. Don't try to impress people on this site, there's no point.
If you think that by showing my opinion, I'm trying to impress you, then you must have a very high opinion of yourself. And to tell you the truth, you can think whatever the bloody hell you want, I will say my opinion REGARDLESS.

Last edited by Efflorescence; September 8th, 2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #2519
Efflorescence
Member++

Quote:
Everything that exists regardless of our perception.

No, that's what you're implying, and it's stupid.
Definition of reality:

'In philosophy, reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined.[1] In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible'. A still more broad definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist, not just in the mind, or even more broadly also including what is only in the mind.

It seems as though you have a laughably narrow-minded view of reality and IT"S STUPID.
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #2520
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Yes, the religious do not realise the flaws of their religion--they think it is perfect and absolute. And, that's why I said the 'religious', the noun, and not of those who follow the religion.

Quote:
It seems as though you have a laughably narrow-minded view of reality and IT"S STUPID.
And in reality, God has no place in existence.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote