Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #21
Polski101
Junior Member+

Polski101's Forum Picture

Name: Jan (Yan)
Default Re: Would you hire racist

I think if the person was openly racist, then I would have to turn them down, so long as I kept within the law here (United Kingdom) and did that professionally. The reason is because the Legal Profession does have to see justice as being blind, and any sort of prejudices like that are not going to work well within the industry. In the UK, in contrast to the US, lawyers (especially those seeking future employment in the judiciary) should not show their political biases either, and should really remain politically unaffiliated (they are not even supposed to join parties as members). This is not to say that a lawyer cannot have political opinions in areas such as Brexit or Capital Punishment (areas of topical debate within the industry, at least in Wales), but we are discouraged from campaigning one way or another, and cannot really turn down a client with a different belief to our own.

I think I would be okay hiring a person with different beliefs to mine, even if they were potentially racist, so long as they could keep their beliefs out of the professional environment, and outside the workplace they also acted professionally. Sadly, that would extend to areas such as social media, but reputation is extremely important. However, any person in this industry should keep their beliefs (political, religious, social, etc) out of the public realm anyway. If they were discussed during interview, it would be a reason which I would consider (and only consider) the person not being suitable. If it was after I employed them, I would consider what actions I could take within the law, but at this point it would be difficult to dismiss them.
Polski101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 02:02 PM   #22
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Would you hire racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polski101 View Post
I think if the person was openly racist, then I would have to turn them down, so long as I kept within the law here (United Kingdom) and did that professionally. The reason is because the Legal Profession does have to see justice as being blind, and any sort of prejudices like that are not going to work well within the industry. In the UK, in contrast to the US, lawyers (especially those seeking future employment in the judiciary) should not show their political biases either, and should really remain politically unaffiliated (they are not even supposed to join parties as members). This is not to say that a lawyer cannot have political opinions in areas such as Brexit or Capital Punishment (areas of topical debate within the industry, at least in Wales), but we are discouraged from campaigning one way or another, and cannot really turn down a client with a different belief to our own.

I think I would be okay hiring a person with different beliefs to mine, even if they were potentially racist, so long as they could keep their beliefs out of the professional environment, and outside the workplace they also acted professionally. Sadly, that would extend to areas such as social media, but reputation is extremely important. However, any person in this industry should keep their beliefs (political, religious, social, etc) out of the public realm anyway. If they were discussed during interview, it would be a reason which I would consider (and only consider) the person not being suitable. If it was after I employed them, I would consider what actions I could take within the law, but at this point it would be difficult to dismiss them.
Good answer. U r well spoken in text. I agree with what u say here.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote