Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 1st, 2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn
Default Building a second mudding truck

Well, first I have to get it running. But I'm excited and looking forward to building it myself, with a little help.

We decided that since the old one is getting even older, and especially since there are 3 of us that love to drive in the mud, we needed to add a newer truck so there are more opportunities.

Dad recently heard about an F-150 4x4 with a blown engine that's been sitting, and the owner doesn't want to spend the money to fix it. It's a 2006 and the price is really good, basically what the junkyard would pay for it. So I made some phone calls and know where I can get a good running engine for a decent price (more than we are paying for the truck though) although it's a couple hours from home. I can take dad's pickup and my uncle's flat bed trailer to retrieve the truck and on a different day go to pick up the engine. But I intend to go to the place that has the engine to see and hear it run before they pull it from the wrecked truck it's in. Dad says don't dare buy a used engine unless they let you hear it run.

Looks like everything is coming together, but it may take me a few weeks or more to go pick up the engine and then put it into the truck. Dad has an A-Frame with an electric chain fall in the garage, so it's mostly gonna be busy work. My friend Zach offered to help if I need it, and my big sis Jamie wants to get her hands dirty too, since she will be driving it when it's done sometimes. I'll also be making a roll bar for the bed, and another interior roll bar as well. Safety is very important! Especially since Jamie rolled our old mudding truck at about 60 MPH a few weeks ago, although she said it was totally fun and wants to do it again, it scared the shit out of everyone who was there and watching. Fortunately it didn't do any extensive damage to the truck in the soft mud.

Last edited by Katie2003; August 1st, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:50 PM   #2
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Default Re: Building a second mudding truck

I just pulled the engine out of a 2000 F-150 earlier this summer. I think other than the addition of a third valve the Triton V8 engines didn't vary too much from the 10th to 11th gen. And that's smart going to check out a new engine before buying, you can never truly know if people are just trying to pull a fast one on you. When you go check out the new engine, I would pay special attention to the state of the head gasket and the spark plugs. Older F-150s are prone to head gasket failure which can cause some major issues. Misfires or exhaust-smelling coolant is a good indicator of that. F-150s of that generation are also infamous for seized spark plugs. If possible I would try to remove one of the spark plugs and see if it doesn't break on you. Since you are going to pull the engine out anyway, these are reasonable repairs to do, but will add some extra cost that you need to consider, and may give you some bargaining power with the seller.

Regardless of the engine status I might still recommend getting spark plug inserts put in by a machinist and replacing the head gasket. The timing belt and guides might also need some replacement. Since you have the engine out these jobs would be a pretty easy to do. As for dropping in the engine, removing the radiator and disconnecting the driveshaft from the differential to pull the transmission back really helped. From there it's basically just throwing everything back together. Surprisingly easy in my opinion, just make sure you connect all those sensors back correctly.

Sounds like a fun project. I don't have any experience with mudding or building mudding trucks, but it certainly sounds enjoyable. Good luck!
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn

Well, here's an update. My uncle had loaned his flatbed to another friend who just returned it yesterday. This afternoon I brought dad with me, we picked up the trailer and then moved the 2006 F-150 home. I actually drove dad's F-150 with the trailer and the other F-150 on it for about 50 miles. Come to find out, the previous owner said he'd had the spark plug issue a couple of times on the blown engine and at nearly 200,000 miles he didn't want to put any money into it. He told us that one day at 80 MPH it started making a horrible racket and stopped dead. The mechanic who had looked at it where he had it towed to left the heads off and a couple of the pistons are destroyed. Dad says it looks like something got sucked into the engine as none of the valves are broken or bent, but the underside of the heads are damaged in the same cylinders as the bad pistons, and there are marks on the valves and the spark plugs were driven out of the heads, ruining the heads in the area of the threads. So far we haven't found anything broken that could have caused the failure. Anyway, with it already partially apart, it will come out a lot easier.

My uncle was in the area where the junkyard with the good engine is located and stopped in there the other day to visit with his friend who owns the place. The good engine is in a 2010 F-150 that was a rollover, with only 45,000 miles. My uncle says other than the roof being sorta flat and all the windows broke, and one side of the body ruined, that truck was really clean, he started it right up and drove it around the junkyard, and says there's nothing wrong with the engine.

So in a couple of weeks after they pull it out, I'll go get it. Based on what he says and the low mileage, I'm not planning on taking it apart at all. I'll sit it on the ground next to the bad engine and swap out any parts that might be different between the two, then drop it right in. I don't care if I don't get it running before winter, but I know what I'll be working with.

Last edited by Katie2003; August 18th, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Diable rouge
Great Poster

Diable rouge's Forum Picture

Name: Pseudo

It's great you can get another truck in your family! I just don't understand all the technical details lol.
Diable rouge is offline   Reply With Quote