Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Banning disclosure special cases

I wish for the staff of this site to disclose special cases of bans.


In the event a fake person is discovered and banned by the staff I would like it publicly disclosed for the following reasons:


1. It gives people transparency

2. It helps protect existing users who now wonder if what they then told said banned person is going to be spread to other places on the internet etc....

3. Related to number 2, it allows users to engage law enforcement in real life IF things escalate.


In other cases I feel the existing policy of not disclosing reasons for bans are fine. But I feel given the recent batch of bans, if staff knew the specific reason was that they were fake or even predators, that that should be disclosed for community safety, along with alternative accounts they might’ve deceived us with.


Ex:

1. Person username status: banned Reason: they were a fake. Law enforcement contacted: yes/ no.


Simple, clean, minimal details. You could even add in if you think you ever exchanged vital information with this user please contact staff and mods etc..



Thoughts?
Likes: (2)
Uniquemind is offline  
Old February 25th, 2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Elysium
VT Lover
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

You bring up a good point. I think it might be a bit excessive to make it completely public (nor would I know a good way to go about that), but I think if you've been communicating with someone who was then banned, you should be able to approach a senior staff member and ask if you have any reason to be concerned. We could discuss it privately from there. On our end, I can't think of a good way to reach any and all impacted people in cases where there may be reason for concern.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline  
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
You bring up a good point. I think it might be a bit excessive to make it completely public (nor would I know a good way to go about that), but I think if you've been communicating with someone who was then banned, you should be able to approach a senior staff member and ask if you have any reason to be concerned. We could discuss it privately from there. On our end, I can't think of a good way to reach any and all impacted people in cases where there may be reason for concern.
That’s why I kinda wanted like a public shame list, because as long as it’s vague enough, it may prompt legitimate VT teens to approach mods.


How common is it for a van to occur and regular users to go 2 weeks later, “oh wait so and so is banned? Why”.

At least specifically follow the template of vagueness listed above that gives just enough situational reasoning, to allow the rest of the community take action.


That and I believe there was another user that strongly suggested making this site be https, I haven’t seen her for a while but she seemed super tech smart.
Likes: (1)
Uniquemind is offline  
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

I agree with uniquemind. It could be announced as a thread in the HQ announcement sub-forum.

I don't agree with a public shame list. The admin should make it as an announcement for the benefit of the members, not a punitive or retaliatory action. Keep in mind, right or wrong, the banned member doesn't have an opportunity to defend herself.

Last edited by Zika; March 1st, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Zika is offline  
Old March 1st, 2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Elysium I understand you would prefer other members to asks mods about the ban in private rather than making it all public, but the issue is you dont know when someone gets banned, except regularly go check out his profile yourself

I guess mods have a list of reasons to ban people,
I think it should be public only in some cases, like fake profiles, pretending they are 13 while they are 45
Oskarr2005 is offline  
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Atom Starfire
Awesome Poster
 
Atom Starfire's Forum Picture
 
Name: Adrian
Join Date: July 10, 2017
Location: 0000 Mystery Street, Sometown, Mystery State, Somewhere on Earth
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

If it is possible, it would make sense to disclose as something like:
  • This user was banned for spamming and/or violation of other forum rules
  • This user was banned for violating rules against bullying and hate speech
  • This user was banned for violating rules against disrespecting moderators and other staff members
  • This user was banned as requested by user

I know that a lot of social media websites, some public forums, and other websites do publicly disclose ban reason, which does make sense as some users may wonder why a user was banned.

I am a tech geek. I also am fascinated with planes. And, I love looking at internet memes.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
My AMA
Atom Starfire is offline  
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #7
Elysium
VT Lover
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from vacation and I'm trying to catch up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I agree with uniquemind. It could be announced as a thread in the HQ announcement sub-forum.

I don't agree with a public shame list. The admin should make it as an announcement for the benefit of the members, not a punitive or retaliatory action. Keep in mind, right or wrong, the banned member doesn't have an opportunity to defend herself.
Are you suggesting then an announcement encouraging people to come to us if they have concerns about a banned user they've had contact with? I also don't like the idea of a public shame list, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
Elysium I understand you would prefer other members to asks mods about the ban in private rather than making it all public, but the issue is you dont know when someone gets banned, except regularly go check out his profile yourself

I guess mods have a list of reasons to ban people,
I think it should be public only in some cases, like fake profiles, pretending they are 13 while they are 45
You should only need to know why someone was banned if you've been having regular contact with them (and even then, it should only be "yes, they were banned because they were fake" or "no, they were banned for other reasons"). And, again, while I'm not opposed to affected people knowing that they've been having contact with someone who's fake, I don't know a good way of making that information public and/or making sure any and all potentially affected people know about it. Just posting a thread or announcement doesn't seem effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Starfire View Post
If it is possible, it would make sense to disclose as something like:
  • This user was banned for spamming and/or violation of other forum rules
  • This user was banned for violating rules against bullying and hate speech
  • This user was banned for violating rules against disrespecting moderators and other staff members
  • This user was banned as requested by user

I know that a lot of social media websites, some public forums, and other websites do publicly disclose ban reason, which does make sense as some users may wonder why a user was banned.
The only reason I'd be willing to disclose for banning someone would be if they weren't who they said they were and that is because it concerns people's safety. Otherwise, banned users are entitled to their privacy.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline  
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Are you suggesting then an announcement encouraging people to come to us if they have concerns about a banned user they've had contact with?
Not necessarily. Just a report that this member has been banned for having a fake profile. Of course if they have concerns about a banned member, I imagine you are open to them talking to you about it, right?
Zika is offline  
Old March 17th, 2019, 04:30 AM   #9
Elysium
VT Lover
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
Not necessarily. Just a report that this member has been banned for having a fake profile. Of course if they have concerns about a banned member, I imagine you are open to them talking to you about it, right?
Yes, of course. I'm just not sure I see the need for us to keep an updated list (especially where we publicly refer to people by username, that doesn't sit right with me) when people could take the initiative and come to us instead. Especially because after way too many years on this site, I can tell you that almost nobody reads the announcements or stickies in any forum.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline  
Old March 17th, 2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Yes, of course. I'm just not sure I see the need for us to keep an updated list (especially where we publicly refer to people by username, that doesn't sit right with me) when people could take the initiative and come to us instead. Especially because after way too many years on this site, I can tell you that almost nobody reads the announcements or stickies in any forum.
Sure, that makes sense. I was going on what I thought I read somewhere, that mods will not disclose to members why another member was banned.

So, why were tessa- and ? cattigrrrl banned?
Zika is offline  
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Adamant
Great Poster
 
Adamant's Forum Picture
 
Name: Adam
Join Date: October 17, 2018
Location: London
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Weird that the person who most wanted banns to be explained has...been banned.
Likes: (1)
Adamant is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:41 AM   #12
Elysium
VT Lover
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

To clarify:

We as a staff will not disclose ban reasons as a general rule of thumb.

If you come to us privately with concerns about specific members, I don't see an issue in disclosing whether or not their ban was because they were fake for reasons of your security.

This is a yes or no question and does not mean that you'll necessarily learn why someone was banned other than "yes, it was because they were fake" or "no, it was for another reason."

Do not expect answers unless we think it poses a risk.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline  
Old April 14th, 2019, 12:22 PM   #13
RattleHead
Awesome Poster
 
RattleHead's Forum Picture
 
Name: Spooky Eli.
Join Date: February 4, 2018
Location: In poor taste
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
Either you say it all or you dont say anything. You just dont say half

Imagine I dont know you, we have never talked, and I come in your PM to tell you 'beware of Zika but I wont tell you why you should'
Fair Enough

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline  
Old April 14th, 2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
Either you say it all or you dont say anything. You just dont say the half

Imagine I dont know you, we have never talked, and I come in your PM to tell you 'beware of Zika but I wont tell you why you should'
Ahh, but that's not what really happened, is it?

You contacted me asking me about the ban. I told you I wouldn't give you details of the conflict because it would mean I'd have to disclose things she told me in confidence and I wouldn't do that.

You know very well you pm'd me first.
Zika is offline  
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Who contacted the other first saying to be aware of that girl?
Oskarr2005 is offline  
Old April 14th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #16
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
Who contacted the other first saying to be aware of that girl?
YOU contacted ME asking about the ban and I responded.
My caution to you was the extent of what I would say about the warning, about which YOU inquired.
Zika is offline  
Old April 15th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Elysium
VT Lover
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Banning disclosure special cases

Clearly this has devolved, so I'm locking it. If there's any further constructive discussion to be had, a new thread can be started with moderator permission.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2019
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org