Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 1st, 2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Default Ask a Christian

I've been asked a few questions regarding Christianity and what not since this forum started. Because of that, I think it would be probably best to have a "Ask me" thread regarding it. I know we used to have something like this in ROTW, and it went pretty well for a time. So if you have any questions regarding Christianity, just ask, and either I or one of the other VT Christian members will try to answer your question. Hopefully this works out well for everyone.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Default Re: Ask a Christian

What do you personally think happens after death? What type of people go to hell or Heaven? Do you believe people who say they’ve spoken to god or Jesus ?

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Living For Love
Live To Tell

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
What do you personally think happens after death?
People either go to Heaven or Hell.

Quote:
What type of people go to hell or Heaven?
Anyone who is baptised and believes Jesus is the son of God.

Quote:
Do you believe people who say they’ve spoken to god or Jesus ?
No.

Retired H&A Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

This is a great idea

What differentiates denominations of Christianity? Like, Evangelical, Baptist, etc. I have a friend who's Seventh-day Adventist and I'm not entirely clear on how her beliefs differ, either. Do they all fall under the umbrella of "Protestant"?

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
This is a great idea

What differentiates denominations of Christianity? Like, Evangelical, Baptist, etc. I have a friend who's Seventh-day Adventist and I'm not entirely clear on how her beliefs differ, either. Do they all fall under the umbrella of "Protestant"?
There are three main branches of Christianity - Catholicism, Protestants, and Orthodox.

Originally, there were only one general group. Catholics and Orthodox split because of a line they disagreed on in the Creed (our statement of beliefs), whilst Protestants split during the Protestant Revolution in the 16th century due to several other things they disagreed with.

There are various things that different denominations follow that make them all different. An example could include when Baptism (initiation into the Church) is performed - either as a child or an adult, as well as various other beliefs.

I don't know how well this is worded or this helps you but this is all I can think off right now.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected]PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
This is a great idea

To answer this like you want may take awhile. In the near future I'll make a post describing the differences between denominations, but right now I don't have the time. Very good question, I'll honestly need to do some research on it, but I'll get back to you about it once I can.

Like Endeavor said, there are three branches of Christianity: Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant. Basically any church that isn't Catholic or Orthodox would fall under the Protestant label. That includes ones like Baptists and Seventh-Day Adventists.
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:37 PM   #7
bougainvillea
VT Lover

bougainvillea's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

What is Christianity like in general when it comes to other religions that aren't associated with Christianity?

Do all Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin or is it only certain groups who believe this?

bougainvillea - help and advice moderator

!! ask me stuff !!

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
bougainvillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:11 PM   #8
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotionnel View Post
What is Christianity like in general when it comes to other religions that aren't associated with Christianity?
Kind of a broad question here. The most obvious is that most every other religion is based mainly upon works, while Christianity is base upon faith. Also, Christianity teaches that God comes down to us via Jesus Christ, while most others believe that instead they have to work themselves up to meet God. Christianity and Judaism are also the only major religions that believe in a sinless and all-powerful God.
Quote:
Do all Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin or is it only certain groups who believe this?
Majority do, yes. There are some exceptions to this. Anglican and Episcopal churches do, and there are some indepedent churches that do aswell.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Majority do, yes. There are some exceptions to this. Anglican and Episcopal churches do, and there are some indepedent churches that do aswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotionnel View Post
Let me just add something to this, as has been previously said, there are many, many differences between different denominations of Christianity (and even differences within the same denomination) which makes answering questions like these difficult as there are so many answers that can be given.

From a Catholic perspective, or at least how I interpret it, it's not necessarily a sin. Pope Francis even said himself he wanted attitudes towards homosexuality to change. The only thing regarding homosexuality that Catholics are against is same-sex marriage. They believe that the purpose of marriage is to raise a family, and homosexual couples cannot do that (at least not biologically).

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected]PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:02 PM   #10
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
What do you personally think happens after death? What type of people go to hell or Heaven? Do you believe people who say they’ve spoken to god or Jesus ?
A lot of people think it is simply good people go to Heaven bad people go to Heaven. This is not the case. Scripture tells us no one is good not even one (Romans 3:11).

The way to Heaven is trusting in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. John 14:6, Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one gets to the Father except through me."

God created this world perfect. Sadly, Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden and that sin has infected humanity. Sin makes man want to disobey God and live apart from Him. God knew man could never earn their way into Heaven. So Jesus Himself, who is God, came down to earth. While he was 100% God He was also 100% man (I realize that does not make mathematically sense but it is true). Jesus became the perfect sacrifice. Through the cross and resurrection He would defeat death for anyone who trusted in Him for salvation.

There are a lot of "good" people by earthly standards who are not going to make it into Heaven. In fact, by earthly standards there are going to be even a lot of "great" people. It is not about good deeds outweigh the bad. It is not about giving a certain amount of money. It is about whether or not we trusted Christ for salvation. I realize that makes some people unhappy but that is what it is. There is no other way.

There are some questions which naturally come up. What about babies who die before they accepted Christ or real little kids? Many Christians believe God's grace covers them until they can understand the difference from right and wrong (different denominations will give you different ages in what is sometimes called the age of accountability). Likewise, those who are born mentally unable to make such a decision in their life is usually also thought to be covered by God's grace. It gets a little trickier when you are talking about people who live in different countries who never heard the Gospel. Some say they are covered by that same grace, others feel the reason why Jesus gives His followers the Great Commission (the call to proclaim the Gospel, the Good News of Jesus Christ) is because if they don't hear it, they won't go to Heaven. Again, believers will give you different answers on that.

So my answer is not perfect, but it really comes down to if one makes Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior or not. Not just asking forgiveness of sin, but allowing Christ to reign in their life. It doesn't mean they are perfect, but it means they are trying to glorify and live for Christ. Or if people choose not to accept Christ. The choice they make have eternal consequences. I believe we have up to the time we die or Christ returns to make that decision (Christ said He would die and He did. Christ said He would rise He rose. he said He was coming back again and back again He will come). Christ loved us all so much that despite knowing the imperfect people we would be, He would die on the cross for us. He offers His grace to everyone and anyone who wants to receive. Grace is God giving us what we need, not what we deserve. I understand it may seem harsh to some people, but to say God doesn't love them is a lie, because He has already offered up the greatest gift of all, Himself. And anyone who wants it can accept.

So it really is people's choice where they are going based on how they respond to Christ. Sadly most people choose not to accept. Again, sorry for the imperfect answer but I do believe it with my Heart.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
From a Catholic perspective, or at least how I interpret it, it's not necessarily a sin. Pope Francis even said himself he wanted attitudes towards homosexuality to change. The only thing regarding homosexuality that Catholics are against is same-sex marriage. They believe that the purpose of marriage is to raise a family, and homosexual couples cannot do that (at least not biologically).
Yeah. I was addressing that question as to which churches are accepting of homosexuality to the point of marriage. The general consensus among Christians is that having homosexual feelings is not a sin, but acting upon those is. It's complicated subject matter, and like you said it is even more complicated due to the various denominations. Perhaps in the future we could create some "ask me" threads devoted to a specific denomination.
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:15 PM   #12
rioo
Nice Poster

rioo's Forum Picture

Name: Rio

Belief in the messengers?
and how about other messenger from other abrahamic religion.
rioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:46 PM   #13
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioo View Post
Belief in the messengers?
and how about other messenger from other abrahamic religion.
You mind being a bit more specific? Who are these "messengers" you speak of? Do you mean like Jewish and Islamic prophets?
Old November 2nd, 2017, 02:16 AM   #14
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post

Anyone who is baptised and believes Jesus is the son of God.
I'm a Christian and I don't believe that baptism is a requirement to enter heaven. Are you trying to say that the babies that die in child birth go directly to hell?

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 09:08 AM   #15
Living For Love
Live To Tell

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I'm a Christian and I don't believe that baptism is a requirement to enter heaven. Are you trying to say that the babies that die in child birth go directly to hell?
Please read SethfromMI's brilliant reply (5th paragraph), as he clearly explained that particular issue.

Retired H&A Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:16 AM   #16
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
The topic of baptism is controversial between denominations. Some believe it is required, some believe it isn't. Some believe that sprinkling or pouring is adequate, some believe that only full immersion is acceptable. Some believe that infants can be baptized, some believe that only professing adults can be baptized. Its one of the major denominational differences.

Regarding child deaths, again go back and read what has already been said.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:21 AM   #17
rioo
Nice Poster

rioo's Forum Picture

Name: Rio

Quote:
You mind being a bit more specific? Who are these "messengers" you speak of? Do you mean like Jewish and Islamic prophets?
yes, exactly like this
rioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM   #18
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioo View Post
yes, exactly like this image
Christians believe in the various Jewish prophets and leaders like Abraham, Moses, David, and Elijah. Christians in general believe that all the events of the Jewish scriptures happened, that's why they are included in the Bible as the Old Testament. John the Baptist is also believed by Christians to be a man who herald the coming of Jesus. In Christian belief, he is often regarded as the last of the prophets.

Jesus, or Isa in the Islamic texts, is not believed to be a prophet, but instead to be God in human form. That's probably the big dividing factor between Muslims and Christians. Christians believe that Jesus is God and that God is representative in three parts, known as the Trinity. Muslims believe that Jesus was just a prophet, and that belief in the Trinity is polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) which is heavily frown upon in Islamic teachings.

Mohammad is not seen by Christians as a prophet, nor to be of any religious importance. He is simply a man in 700's Arabia who founded a religion with tidbits of Christianity and Judaism mixed in.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #19
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Christians believe in the various Jewish prophets and leaders like Abraham, Moses, David, and Elijah. Christians in general believe that all the events of the Jewish scriptures happened, that's why they are included in the Bible as the Old Testament. John the Baptist is also believed by Christians to be a man who herald the coming of Jesus. In Christian belief, he is often regarded as the last of the prophets.

Jesus, or Isa in the Islamic texts, is not believed to be a prophet, but instead to be God in human form. That's probably the big dividing factor between Muslims and Christians. Christians believe that Jesus is God and that God is representative in three parts, known as the Trinity. Muslims believe that Jesus was just a prophet, and that belief in the Trinity is polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) which is heavily frown upon in Islamic teachings.

Mohammad is not seen by Christians as a prophet, nor to be of any religious importance. He is simply a man in 700's Arabia who founded a religion with tidbits of Christianity and Judaism mixed in.
In terms of relations between beliefs of the faiths, it can be quite a blurred subject. In terms of the most Orthodox beliefs of the three Abrahamic faiths, Judaism does not recognise Jesus as the foretold Messiah (the divorcing factor bwteen Judaism and Christianity) and so still follow what Christians would essentially call the Old Scripture as they had no Messiah to tell them to change. Christians in turn do not recognise Muhammed as sacred because they believe God's direct intervention on Earth ended with Christ. In turn, Muslims do not recognise Jesus as the Messiah, but rather another messenger of God.

However, these are very much sweeping generalisations and paraphrasing of modern beliefs as each of them have countless denominations that blur the lines of belief between them a little. For example, Messianic Jews DO recognise Jesus as the Messiah and call themselves Jews as they believe Christianity is a form of Judaism, not another religion entirely. In the same way, countless sects (particularly in the Middle East) further blur the lines of belief between the faiths in terms of what they practice, meaning the religions are not fully separate entities but more of 3 separate ways of looking at one long religious line that ends at different points for each of them.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:26 PM   #20
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
The topic of baptism is controversial between denominations. Some believe it is required, some believe it isn't. Some believe that sprinkling or pouring is adequate, some believe that only full immersion is acceptable. Some believe that infants can be baptized, some believe that only professing adults can be baptized. Its one of the major denominational differences.

Regarding child deaths, again go back and read what has already been said.
No where in the Bible does it say one has to be baptized in order to get salvation. I think if one has the opportunity to be baptized it is an awesome thing to do. I think Jesus, who is God, provided the example for a reason. It doesn't mean it is required for salvation though. Baptism is supposed to be symbolic. You are telling others you have trusted Jesus Christ as your Savior and your old life is dead and you have new life in Christ. You going into the water is symbolic of your old life dying and when you emerge it is symbolic of the new life you have in Christ when you asked Him to be your Savior. It is a public declaration of what Jesus has done for you.

Some denominations baptize babies. While I do not personally agree with this, it is not like it is sinful or you are damning the child to Hell. Nor is that the reason I believe babies go to Heaven (I think that goes back to being accountable for sin). It is a highly touchy issue for some denominations, but it does not determines one salvation(at least I certainly don't think that is what the Bible touches).

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote