Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 15th, 2018, 04:12 AM   #1
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

Thumbs up Virgin Mary's Heven day

Hello! This is my first post

Today is the day (15 of August) when Virgin Mary went to heaven.
I want to know if you have any special traditions in your place/town/village/country ?

Here we go to church we also sing litanies of Mary. Its a free day. People dont go to work and shops are closed.
Farmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Tom_theflash
Member++

Tom_theflash's Forum Picture

Default Re: Virgin Mary's Heven day

We usually spend time making field trips through country or mountain. I did it indeed, nice day all around.

"It's a game of running, yet not always all out.
It's a game of passion, yet under harness and rein.
It's a game of team, of passing and sharing.
It's a game supreme, this Beautiful Game".
Tom_theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

In most of America there isn't any celebration of this. I imagine this is largely due to America being historically Protestant, as most Protestant groups do not celebrate Mary nor believe in the immaculate conception to the extent Catholics do. Most Protestants just celebrate Christmas and Easter as religious holidays.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:21 AM   #4
bougainvillea
VT Lover

bougainvillea's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

In England there’s no traditions that I know of, but in Italy it’s like a bank holiday known as Ferragosto. I think some parts of my Italian family took part in a feast to celebrate.

bougainvillea - help and advice moderator

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
bougainvillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #5
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

I didnt know Protestants dont celebrate this.

I hope you had great time in mountains.
Farmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 08:56 PM   #6
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Here in Canada August 15 is National Acadian Day it’s mostly celebrated by the French population here on the east coast. The date August 15 was originally picked because of this religious holiday and its association with the Virgin Mary. We now fully over took the holiday for our selves losing all of its religious meaning and as become another reason to go out and get drunk in the middle of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #7
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Here in Canada August 15 is National Acadian Day it’s mostly celebrated by the French population here on the east coast. The date August 15 was originally picked because of this religious holiday and its association with the Virgin Mary. We now fully over took the holiday for our selves losing all of its religious meaning and as become another reason to go out and get drunk in the middle of the week.
Matt, I'm curious? Is this holiday celebrated throughout all of Canada? Or, is it just celebrated in Quebec and the Maritimes?
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #8
bmac03

bmac03's Forum Picture

Name: B

Actually, only the maritimes celebrates this holiday. Why? Acadians and Les Québécois are two different colonies, the Acadians settled on the maritimes. They came mostly from a territory in France called Acadie. Les Québécois came to Canada from all over France and tried to make Canada their New France! Also there isn’t really a lot of French influence in the western parts of Canada ( Alberta, Manitoba, British Columbia ect). So it wouldn’t be celebrated there.

Hi Im Brandon, PM anytime and we will chat!🙂

Last edited by bmac03; August 26th, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
bmac03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2018, 07:51 PM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
Matt, I'm curious? Is this holiday celebrated throughout all of Canada? Or, is it just celebrated in Quebec and the Maritimes?
It is only celebrated in the maritimes, Quebec and other French communities in the rest of the country have their own holiday, Saint-Jean-Baptiste on June 24, which is the birthday of the guy who baptized Jesus. The reason we have a different holiday here is because in the late 1800s the Acadian population were treated as second-class citizens so when they started to fight to the English population they decided to pick their own holiday but wanted differentiate themselves from Quebec so they picked this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
It is only celebrated in the maritimes, Quebec and other French communities in the rest of the country have their own holiday, Saint-Jean-Baptiste on June 24, which is the birthday of the guy who baptized Jesus. The reason we have a different holiday here is because in the late 1800s the Acadian population were treated as second-class citizens so when they started to fight to the English population they decided to pick their own holiday but wanted differentiate themselves from Quebec so they picked this one.
Matt, many thanks for enlightening me on this and other religious holidays in Canada.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote