Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
BeautifulSilence
The M.I.L.F

BeautifulSilence's Forum Picture

Name: The Laura
Default Just a few questions for people who had/have eating disorders

Ok, I was just wondering how similar answers would be... Please answer these the best you can. [And sorry if a thread like this already exists]

If you don't want to publicly display your answers, PM me, I'm very interested.

What ED(s) do you have/have had?

What do you feel caused it?

Can you remember if:
-Your eating patterns suddenly changed
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time?

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)?

Did you know it wasn't "normal"?

Did you know it was an ED?

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate?

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who?

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help?

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from?

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs?

I have more, but there are quite a lot already.

Thank you!

[I'll answer them in another post, to make it easier to read the questions]

~Laura was here~
Bethlouise <3
Savour the moment
Delay the consequences
Thomas' non-biological baby was born 15.01.2011

Last edited by BeautifulSilence; August 2nd, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Rutherford The Brave
Rutherford

Rutherford The Brave's Forum Picture

Name: Gregory
Default Re: Just a few questions for people who had/have eating disorders

What ED(s) do you have/have had? I was anerexic

What do you feel caused it? The fact that I couldn't buy food

Can you remember if:
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time? They slowly became unusual

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)? It started when I was 12 ended when I was 14

Did you know it wasn't "normal"? Yes

Did you know it was an ED? Yes

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate? Yes quite often

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who? Alot of people all my friends

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help? No

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from? My therapist

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs? No

I have more, but there are quite a lot already.

Thank you!

Drop Acid, Not Bombs.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
BeautifulSilence
The M.I.L.F

BeautifulSilence's Forum Picture

Name: The Laura

What ED(s) do you have/have had? Possibly: anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating and others that aren't really named...

What do you feel caused it? Well, I would say the media, but being honest, that "thin is in" has basically always been there without effecting me... The anorexia and bulimia were probably related to neglect from my mum and my friends....

Can you remember if:
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time? I can't remember that well, but for most of them they were probably developed suddenly

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)? The binge eating was in Yr 7, so... 4 years ago. The others are within the last six months and on going

Did you know it wasn't "normal"? I didn't realise until people started telling me it wasn't right

Did you know it was an ED? I still deny to myself that they are/were EDs

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate? Not until people started watching me and asking constantly

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who? I openly admit to some of my friends... But one of them told my form tutor who I think may have told my mum.

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help? No

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from? No, I pretend there's nothing wrong because when someone decides to "help" me they just seem to act like I could die in a second if they don't constantly ask questions

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs? I know I'm probably trying to find something to blame, but I believe that my recent EDs have been massively influenced by others... Like, I remeber when I was looking for support, after about a week of strict dieting and vast weight loss. I found a support site and someone had mentioned that they used to have a maximum of 100 cals a day... I immediately decided that I could do that too. Another would be when I was watching Extreme skinny celebs and a women said that models have admitted to eating cotton wool to stop the hunger pains. My current diet consists of little more than 8 types of dieting pills, caffiene pills, water and cotton wool...

~Laura was here~
Bethlouise <3
Savour the moment
Delay the consequences
Thomas' non-biological baby was born 15.01.2011
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
ZombieCrunch
Junior Member+

ZombieCrunch's Forum Picture

Smile Re: Just a few questions for people who had/have eating disorders

Bulimia

The media.

Can you remember if:
OR
I was always self conscious, I just thought that I had found a failproof way of loosing weight.

A few months ago, And Yes I have recently beaten it.

By todays standards, It is rather normal.
Quiet a shame really.

I only became obsessed after the first month or so. After that, I knew it was an ED but I didn't really care.

Nope.
I just didn't tell people afterwards what happened After I ate.

One of my friends found out after she walked in on me hurling.

No, She helped me get over it.

We started going to the gym together and she made sure that I stopped doing it at school and made sure that I wasn't at home either.

No - one is perfect.
The media is full of bastards.
Be yourself and prove them wrong.

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Please learn to spell when talking to me.
Otherwise Zombie will get angry and bite your nuts off .
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Countolaf

Anorexia/Bulimia, not clearly classified

Sociability and self-esteem problems. Thought if I lost weight I would become more interesting to the others.

Can you remember if:
OR
They started with a normal eating reeducation. I felt more confident as I was losing weight, but at some point it wasn't working anymore.

It started about an year ago.

When I started binge eating I noticed something was very wrong.

At first I believed it would just last some weeks, but it ended up lasting more than I thought, so I realized it was an ED.

Pretty many times I used techniques to hide that I didn't eat.

When my parents noticed I was getting depressed and I losing interest in everything, they discovered it.

I wanted to get medical help as soon as I saw things were getting worse, but at first my mother was against bringing me to a doctor, because she felt ashamed that I got an ED since I'm a boy

I've been receiving support from psychiatrists since middle of last year, did cognitive-behaviourial therapy for 9 months (but it didn't work in any aspect). Recently I started doing a new kind of therapy, involving mainly self-esteem and sociability (I'm in a group with autistic boys).

It is not 10 pounds that will make you better or worse. If you lack self-esteem, you should find the real reason to it.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
master

i have anorexia, but i make myself throw up at time.
i felt like i was losing control of my life and everything around me so i started to really control what i ate, then i started to lose weight and i really liked it, but then what i wanted to lose was never good enough.
Can you remember if:
OR
it was like one day i woke up and decided to restrict, the thoughts came over time but the eating patterns were sudden
to be honest i dont a few years now.
i didnt really think much of it, i probably didnt think it was normal but i didnt think it was wrong.
at first no, but then i did but i was in denial about ti all, and sometimes still am.
all the time, espically after everyone found out about what i was doing, i had to!
yeahh my boyfriend did, he noticed me loosing drastic amounts of weight and i started to get sick i looked nasty, he was the first.
yes i was forced to get madical help after my parents found out. i was in hospital and i then went to a treatment centre and i was forced to leave because my insurance ran out, but i was put back into hospital about a week ago from dehydration and i passed out. now i have a feeding tube in my stomach!
boyfriend friends and family. but i am soo embarresed when it comes to my boyfriend.
girls who wish they had an eating disorder because it look glamorous,
let me tell you ITS NOT!
never wish it apon yourself.

Last edited by master; August 2nd, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #7
xxkillmefaster

xxkillmefaster's Forum Picture

- Anorexia Nervosa.

- There were 3 main causes for me developing an eating disorder. One, was that my mom had a history of an eating disorder that she had never told me about. I always found her eating habits strange and it made me angry that she was always so close to my weight, so I decided to "compete" with her. And so far...I'm winning. Two, would be someone in my close family who once told me I was chubby (when I was younger). I gradually started to lose weight and she would compliment me every time I lost another few pounds about how "great" I looked. I spent so much time trying to please her and impress her, I didn't realize that I was actually becoming Anorexic because of it. And third, my so called (old) "friends." They would always jokingly call me "fatty" when I ate a good amount of something. I knew it was a joke, but it still killed me.

Can you remember if:
OR

- Yes, I do. It started out as a simple healthy diet. During the summer of 9th grade I became vegetarian and that was what started it. I used it as an excuse to lose weight. Something to lean on in case someone got suspicious. For the rest of my 9th grade year, I only had failed attempts at completely starving. I would always binge. When things started REALLY getting serious was the sumer of 10th grade. It started with a healthy diet of salads and fish. I had wanted to "tone up" before I started my new year at school. As the days went by, my meals started to get smaller and smaller. I started to cut out foods until it got to the point where I was eating 2 small meals a day. And then, the rest dropped down from there.

- It started in 9th grade, but things didn't start getting serious until 10th grade (that was when I started becoming noticeably thin and drastically losing weight). To this day, it still isn't gone.

- From the moment I started, I knew it wasn't normal. I remember thinking "why me? why not someone else? do other girls think like I do?" And I realized that other girls DIDN'T think like that. And it caused me to isolate myself and hide my body in baggy clothes. Because I knew it was wrong, but I had no way to control it.

- I'm different from a lot of girls with EDs. I KNEW it was an ED. I knew the consequences, but I had NO control. I knew I had 2 options. A) live unhappy for the rest of my life or B) give in. I was too afraid to ask for help.

- All the time. My parents would give me lunch money and I would just save it all up and spend it on clothes. I used to tell them I didn't want dinner because "I ate a huge lunch" or "We had a reward ceremony at school and they gave us pizza." Sometimes I would dirty up a dish and make it LOOK like I ate off of it when I really didn't. They never thought twice about it.

- My ex (who is now my best friend - yes, I know that's weird). We tell each other everything because we both suffer from depression. I needed someone to vent to and he was the only one I trusted, so I let all my emotions out to him. He was so scared for me. He was in denial. He refused to believe that I had anything wrong with me, until I got skinnier and there was no way to deny it. But he never likes even mentioning the word around me now.

- Not yet, and I hope I never need to. However, my friend (who also has an ED and was treated) is begging me to go to the clinic she went to last year, but I refused.

- No, I don't.

- I'd like to say that even though I'm a bit bitter about my ED, in a way, I'm glad I have it. I want to use my ED to help people. To show them how horrible it is to live like this. Maybe I never will be cured, but at least I can help someone out and save their life to make up for the one that I never really had.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM   #8
newsdiva1389

- Bulimia/ ED otherwise not specified

- my mother told me one day that i "better be careful with your weight. it's getting up there." and that was it. i started purging regularly. it took almost 2 1/2 months for her to tell me i was looking better.

Can you remember if:
OR
- it was pretty sudden. one day i just had an impulse that i couldnt fight and i started throwing up and cutting back on my food. salad was my best friend.

- it started junior year of high school and still is an occasional issue almost 2 years later.

- i knew it wasn't the best choice, but it didnt dawn on me that this was as bad as it was.
- about 3 weeks after i started, i went on a retreat and heard stories from girls that were anorexic and bulimic. it was then i knew what i was doing.

- all the time. at lunch i'd always say i had homework to do so i could eat as little as possible. at dinner i'd say i ate at play rehersal so i could just eat a little bit with my family. i threw it all up anyway.

- i told two of my friends and eventually a couple other of my friends found out. they were supportive for a while and then when they saw i wasnt getting better on my own and refused help, they cut off contact.

- my best friend found out after almost 4 months and then dragged me to the school counslor. she called my parents who sent me to a therapist.

- one of my best friends is also recovering from ed otherwise not specified. we tell each other everything.

- i was let out of therapy after 3 sessions because the therapist told my mom i didnt seem to be a threat to myself and i refused to accept what i was doing to myself. i've had several slipups since then and i know that that was the biggest mistake ever, being let out of treatment. i'm probably worse now than i was then.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #9
hiddenidentity

What ED(s) do you have/have had? anorexia/ ednos

my crazy family. my super pretty, super skinny, supper perfect sister that im compared to. my crazy parents. wanting to be pretty and fit in.

Can you remember if:
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time? well it started on and off and then gradually grew.

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)? It started when I was about 15

Did you know it wasn't "normal"? Yes

Did you know it was an ED? Yes

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate? Yes - all my lunch money is saved so that i can buy other things

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who? i told 2 of my friends-- but a few more have since figured out when im constantly avoid eating at lunch

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help? No- im not a serious case + parents don't know

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from? --

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs? nope
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #10
xGreenling
Junior Member+

xGreenling's Forum Picture

Anorexia, bleeds over into EDNOS, I guess.

Multiple causes - thought it sounded tough and cool to be able to go without food... I wanted to be the skinniest, because in my mind, thinnest=best. Also, I wanted to stop myself turning into a girl - halt hormones/puberty.

Can you remember if:
OR

Started out strictly eating six small meals a day, carefully calculated to be no more and no less than my basic needs for survival. I started making said meals smaller, eating fewer calories, cutting out sugars and fats where I could. Then they got even smaller, and I'd skip one or two... until I basically nibbled on bits of food maybe five times in a day. I'd count calories, but as long as I was well under what I needed to survive, I wasn't super-strict.

Eighth grade, middle of ninth grade I was back on my feet. It's starting to come back again now though - eleventh grade/sixth form.

It was at least partially a conscious decision... so yes, I knew I had issues.
Yep. I worked hard to fulfill all the diagnostic criteria so the other anorexics would take me seriously.

All the time, but not too wholeheartedly. My family had a sort of 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

My friends and family figured it out when I dropped twenty pounds, stopped eating, had medical appointments every couple of days, stopped denying it...

Well... I ended up with a semi-split personality thing going on. One of them was like, 'FSCK! We're gonna kill the chassis!' and the other was busy wallowing in self-pity... You can work out who won that one. But no, not forced by anyone outside.

Tons of support from some very lovely people. Who are all inaccessible now that the eating disorder is starting to dig in its claws again. *eyeroll*

I don't regret it - it'll be something to tell my grandkids. 'I got hypothermia! No really, I almost passed out. And then there was the electrocardiogram - my heart rate was slower than most hibernating squirrels'!' I just think I was kind of a douche to stunt my growth, because now that I've recovered... I've got hips, and a little more weight than I started out with, and less height over which to spread it. *headwall*
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Avalikia
Member+

What ED(s) do you have/have had? Compulsive overeating

What do you feel caused it? I blame the medication. (See how it started below.)

Can you remember if:
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time? It was definately a gradual sort of thing.

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)? When I was 11, I was put on an antidepressant to help with the severe anxiety and depression I was experiencing that the time. It worked, but unfortunately it had the side effect of making me hungrier than I used to be. Between that and the lingering negative emotions I got in the habit of eating as a way of dealing with stress. I've since gotten to the point where I'm off the medication and I'm no longer gaining weight, but I'm still having difficulty controlling my eating habits well enough to lose it. (I've been maintaining for about two years now.)

Did you know it wasn't "normal"? At first I didn't, but it gradually dawned on me that it's not normal to look for a snack when you're already uncomfortably full, and other things like that.

Did you know it was an ED? I've known that it was problem for a long time, but it was only a couple years ago that I knew what to call it.

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate? Oh, constantly. My mom has been very nosy ever since I started gaining weight, trying to keep tabs on things, setting limits, etc. It doesn't work though - I just got really good at sneaking food.

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who? Only my parents, my sister, and my best friend know about the compulsive aspect to my overeating - it's obvious to anyone who looks at me that I overeat, but that's not unusual these days.

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help? Not really, though my psychiatrist has been monitoring my weight ever since he proscribed that medication.

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from? Sort of. My mom keeps trying to help me, but her methods just don't work for me. I suspect once I move out and start buying my own food I'll gain better control over it then.

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs? Though I blame the medication for the compulsive overeating, I'm not sorry I took it. I needed that extra help during a very rough time in my life, and I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and depressed. But now that I'm happy without the medication, the goal is to be average weight and happy.
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #12
JustaPrettymask

JustaPrettymask's Forum Picture

OR
Well othig happend slowly...one night i said to myself ''no food for a week''.It was only going to be a week long Fast....but it turned into something else i guess.

I remeber it started when i weighed 217lbs. I was watching some talk show and they were talking about pro ana/mia sites.I checked out a few of the sites and it triggered my ED

Yes
Yes

Many times :/

No, not yet

No

I stoped my ana/mia ways for a few months from being stressed and binging but i gained back 28 lbs and now im back in my ways

mad, bad, and dangerous to know
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #13
dirtxbaggg

Name: Shelby

Anerexiaaaa
I am going to put the blame on myself
Can you remember if:
OR
Over time they became unusuall
What started it? I always ate a lot here and then nothing for a few days. I remmeber those proana sites that justaprettymask was talking about, those got me intrested in a lot at first. Those girls are beautiful.
Yeah but I don't care
Yeah i know iam suffering from anerexia
no one asks so i dont have to
no ones knows <3
No I am not
if anyone found out i would have my best frined as my recovery system
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #14
just-me

anorexia

it was something i could control. it IS somethin i can control.

Can you remember if:
OR
started slowly, cutting down food. now it can stop and start weekly.

year 11?

no.

still deny it, i dont really think it is one. never mind.

all the time, still do.

once my friend ran up to my car and told my brother i wasnt eating and turning anorexic

no one really knows.

no

i hate how i thought it was over. i was wrong.
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #15
rette_mich
Junior Member+

These are not bad questions.
I think they are pretty good considering what most people seem to assume. =)

Last edited by rette_mich; December 5th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #16
lil miss gem

what ED's do u have/have had?
anorexia

Your eating patterns suddenly changed
OR
they become more unusual over time as i learned more about calories and fat grams then started weighing everything i eat.

it started 2 year ago n im still battling with it now but on the road to recovery

no i thought i was just dieting in my own way

not at first

yes all the time

my family and my school

i was forced into seeking medical help

yes, i see a councillor every week.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:15 AM   #17
Emoboi

Emoboi's Forum Picture

I was and sorda am anerex I use to only eat 1 energy bar when I'm hungrey instead of dinner only 1 a day now I eat 2 a day it Is cuz I am really really self conshus.....!!!!!!......

Last edited by Emoboi; December 31st, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Messed up spelling
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #18
stories

stories's Forum Picture

What ED(s) do you have/have had? (Undiagnosed) EDNOS (restricting-type anorexia tendencies).

What do you feel caused it? Emotional stress and hatred of myself.

Can you remember if:
OR
-If they slowly became "unusual" over time? A bit of both.

Do you remember when it started (and ended if you have beaten it)? Three months ago as of Tuesday.

Did you know it wasn't "normal"? I figured it out slowly.

Did you know it was an ED? Not until I researched my habits.

Did you ever lie about what you ate or when you ate? Yes, frequently.

Did anyone find out about it, if so, then who? My two brothers. And now my a friend of one of my brother's and I, and the hall director at my college.

Did you/were you forced to seek medical help? No, but my brother's really want me to.

Have you had/do you have support with recovery, if so then who from? Those who know about my ED.

Is there anything you'd like to add about your experience with EDs? Don't get into it. Sometimes I feel I can't stop. I am trying though. Slowly and hopefully surely. Also I know it never really goes away.

Our lives are full of "stories". What's yours?

‎"Stories change us; they change the world. People are stories of themselves." -Karen Healey
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #19
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

Please don't bump old threads, this is from 2008.
Closed Thread