Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 13th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #1
AshleighB
Awesome Poster

AshleighB's Forum Picture

Name: Ashleigh
Default Bumped threads

Can we report threads that have been bumped, not to report the person for doing it just so the mods can know and lock them

I’m not clumsy its just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way
AshleighB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 09:58 AM   #2
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Spooky Eli.
Default Re: Bumped threads

I think this is already a thing...

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years—if it ever did end—began, so far as I
know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with
rain. - Stephen King
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Lionsden04
Nice Poster

Lionsden04's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

I think it would be a good idea to have a report button for this
Lionsden04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Barbara.
Barbie Doll

Barbara.'s Forum Picture

Name: Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleighB View Post
Can we report threads that have been bumped, not to report the person for doing it just so the mods can know and lock them
Yes you can and it would be very helpful to them I'm sure. Just click on the report symbol and in the space reply this thread has been bumped, or something similar.

Barbara. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Lionsden04
Nice Poster

Lionsden04's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara. View Post
Yes you can and it would be very helpful to them I'm sure. Just click on the report symbol and in the space reply this thread has been bumped, or something similar.
I wasn’t sure if we could use it for that, just thought it was for more serious stuff
Lionsden04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

Good, I had no idea it was okay to report bumped threads either. Quite annoying when you think there's finally a new topic to contribute to, only to find out it's ready for a museum.

Only in The Sims do they chop lettuce and tomatoes when making a P&J sandwich.
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Oh yeah absolutely. If you think anything is wrong with a post, or you think we need to look into it, just report it. We really appreciate it

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected]PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Naturelover
Great Poster

Naturelover's Forum Picture

Name: Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Oh yeah absolutely. If you think anything is wrong with a post, or you think we need to look into it, just report it. We really appreciate it
But it always takes a long time before messages that a boy has written in "Puberty for Girls" section are deleted. Why is that?
Naturelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Barbara.
Barbie Doll

Barbara.'s Forum Picture

Name: Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturelover View Post
But it always takes a long time before messages that a boy has written in "Puberty for Girls" section are deleted. Why is that?
There isn't always a mod online at any one time especially when mods are short. When one is available, I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.

Barbara. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Quote:
What Barbara has said above is true - as we have so few mods right now they might not always get dealt with immediately - but we will always look into it and take action as soon as we can.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected]PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:38 AM   #11
Naturelover
Great Poster

Naturelover's Forum Picture

Name: Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
What Barbara has said above is true - as we have so few mods right now they might not always get dealt with immediately - but we will always look into it and take action as soon as we can.
OK, thanks for answer
Naturelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:51 PM   #12
Turbofan explosion
Awesome Poster

Turbofan explosion's Forum Picture

Name: Adrian
Location: 0000 Mystery Street, Sometown, Mystery State, Somewhere on Earth

It seems that moderators are actually locking threads that get reported. Sometimes moderators may overlook the post dates.

I am a tech geek. I also am fascinated with planes. And, I love looking at internet memes.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
My AMA
Turbofan explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
The other consideration is mods have to prioritize what they do. I don't imagine a girl posting in the boys' puberty thread is a really big issue.

btw, why is bumping threads considered bad on this site?
On another site I'm on, they're the opposite. You have to first search to see if a thread with you topic has been made...and it may have been a couple years ago. If they see a new thread on an existing topic, they merge them or delete the new thread.
Just curious why the difference.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 01:55 PM   #14
yeehaw
cowboy superstar

yeehaw's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
btw, why is bumping threads considered bad on this site?
On another site I'm on, they're the opposite. You have to first search to see if a thread with you topic has been made...and it may have been a couple years ago. If they see a new thread on an existing topic, they merge them or delete the new thread.
Just curious why the difference.
bumped threads get locked because they tend to not be so relevant 2 months on from when they were first posted. i think the only two approaches to reducing multiple *active* copies of threads is to either, as the other forum you mentioned do, merge and lock any similar thread or to lock threads that have been inactive for X amount of time. it just seems that two months is the perfect sweet spot between too long and too little time between inactivity.

but yeah, the report button can be used to report literally anything that breaches the site rules. my general rule of thumb is that if there’s any considerable doubt about a post or a thread whatsoever, report it. the worst case scenario is that the mods will decide not to do anything about the report.
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #15
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaw View Post
bumped threads get locked because they tend to not be so relevant 2 months on from when they were first posted. i think the only two approaches to reducing multiple *active* copies of threads is to either, as the other forum you mentioned do, merge and lock any similar thread or to lock threads that have been inactive for X amount of time. it just seems that two months is the perfect sweet spot between too long and too little time between inactivity.

but yeah, the report button can be used to report literally anything that breaches the site rules. my general rule of thumb is that if there’s any considerable doubt about a post or a thread whatsoever, report it. the worst case scenario is that the mods will decide not to do anything about the report.
Thank you for responding.
I sort of get what you're saying, but if someone wants to contribute to an older thread, rather than start a new one, doesn't that make it cleaner?

What happens to bumped threads? Are they removed from the sub-forum? I know there's an archive for closed puberty threads; is that the case for all closed threads?
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #16
yeehaw
cowboy superstar

yeehaw's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
Thank you for responding.
I sort of get what you're saying, but if someone wants to contribute to an older thread, rather than start a new one, doesn't that make it cleaner?
The staff often encourage users to refer to the previous thread in their new one, such as including the link. The time gap of around 2 months tries to ensure that you won’t be able to see the old thread unless you’re really digging around, but with some less active subforums it may start to become an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika
What happens to bumped threads? Are they removed from the sub-forum? I know there's an archive for closed puberty threads; is that the case for all closed threads?
The Puberty 101 Archive is for any P101 thread that gets locked for any reason, not just bumped threads. On the other hand, we don’t have an archive like that for the other subforums. They just show as locked in their original subforums and users will be able to see it but not have the ability to post replies. Over time, as more threads are made in the subforum, they eventually do not show up on the first page of results for that forum.
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote