Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 12th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn
Default I am totally ecstatic!!!!!!

You guys will NOT believe what just happened.

My grandpa came over and told me to go out in the back of his truck and bring something in the house. So I literally shit my pants when I saw it!!!!!!

Once I was inside and only slightly calmer, he told me he thought it was time for me to have a proper steel.......since I've been playing songs written for the steel on my Telecaster.

This is the exact Fender he brought over for me to use and have fun with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1CqjgdJWA

AND he hooked it up to my amp and sat down and played Apache on it!!!!!!! This one came from a very famous recording studio, no telling who has played it over the years but grandpa has had it since the 1980's. We think it dates back to the 50's or 60's.

Then I sat down and played Sleepwalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD04s76V98

That is the arrangement of it that I play so often, I learned by watching Doug on youtube........won the school's talent contest playing it on the Telecaster recently. Having a real steel will make it even better!

Grandpa cried and told me I was so good that he'd get me a gig backing up some country singers if I wanted to in the future. I said really, are you serious? And he hugged me and told me that at 15 I'm way ahead of where he was at that age with playing both the regular guitars I have, so with a little practice, I can learn the steel as well.

I think I have died and gone to heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way did I deserve this. I am still in total shock!!!!!!! And I'd be honored to be allowed to play with anyone even the least bit professionally known........
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Natacha
Awesome Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

Name: Natacha
Default Re: I am totally ecstatic!!!!!!

Family is so awesome. Totally cool. Congratulations
Natacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Thanks, Natacha, family is totally AWESOME!!!!!! I am still in shock. Because of it's history, this one is probably worth a small fortune, and I can't believe he thinks I'm good enough to have it. Plus he was still using it a lot, but of course he has others which are newer.

Gotta learn to use the little steel slide bar better than I do now, holding it is a bit tricky but that's what practice is about. I've used a little glass bottle to get that effect with my other guitars sometimes, so I've got some idea what it's about.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Natacha
Awesome Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

Name: Natacha

This is what makes great motivation to practice
Natacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Caycedilla
Awesome Poster

Caycedilla's Forum Picture

Name: Cayce

What a great surprise to receive a gift that nice! Congrats and I’m sure you’ll do some great work with it

I'd far rather be happy than right any day -Douglas Adams

17 - F - flag spinner, saber tosser, prop dancer
feel free to PM
Caycedilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceyCayce View Post
What a great surprise to receive a gift that nice! Congrats and Im sure youll do some great work with it

My grandparents live some distance from us, but they do come to visit once a month or so. Grandpa says if they could have come at Christmas, this would have been under the tree but better late than never!!!!!! My dad is currently having fun with it, since he has played professionally as well. He's damn good, and having him right here to encourage me and show me all the little tricks will be priceless.

Tonight when I get home from shopping with mom and my sis, I just know there will be a family jam session.......
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

Wow, that's amazing indeed! Lots of congrats, I'm happy for you!

You know that a movie is bad when one or more actors apologise for participating in it.
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Now if I could just get dad and grandpa to let me play it for a while, but the two of them haven't played together for a couple of months now. I'm having a blast just sitting here listening to the two of them, dad is still on the steel and grandpa on my (actually dad's) Gretsch, and my sis is doing a really decent job playing drums. Gonna plug in my old Telecaster (which was also a gift from grandpa some time ago) and join them if I can't get some time on the steel!

I get the feeling mom's shopping trip is getting cancelled, but if she still insists on going I think it's pretty clear who will be choosing to stay home
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:24 PM   #9
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

ArfyMcPeesh's Forum Picture

Name: Arfy

Being the only boy in the house, usually when someone says go out to the car it’s to unload groceries, garbage, whatever. I need a grandpa like that. Congrats
ArfyMcPeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #10
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArfyMcPeesh View Post
Being the only boy in the house, usually when someone says go out to the car it’s to unload groceries, garbage, whatever. I need a grandpa like that. Congrats

That's almost always what happens around here, only very rarely is it a surprise like that. I'm still in total shock. But we've all been having a blast jamming together and intend to continue through the evening. For right now though, we are taking a break. The entire family will be playing, everyone has their own instrument and skills, and it's always a wonderful bonding experience. Just being able to play alongside my dad and grandpa who both have plenty of experience and have played with some famous people is a thrill and an honor. Over the past 50 years for my grandpa and almost 30 years for my dad, they have played backup on some recordings that you would recognize and also played on stage at live concerts backing up some really famous singers and groups.
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Adamant
Great Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Great news and thanks for including the tunes too.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 01:09 PM   #12
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
You guys will NOT believe what just happened.

My grandpa came over and told me to go out in the back of his truck and bring something in the house. So I literally shit my pants when I saw it!!!!!!

Once I was inside and only slightly calmer, he told me he thought it was time for me to have a proper steel.......since I've been playing songs written for the steel on my Telecaster.

This is the exact Fender he brought over for me to use and have fun with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1CqjgdJWA

AND he hooked it up to my amp and sat down and played Apache on it!!!!!!! This one came from a very famous recording studio, no telling who has played it over the years but grandpa has had it since the 1980's. We think it dates back to the 50's or 60's.

Then I sat down and played Sleepwalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD04s76V98

That is the arrangement of it that I play so often, I learned by watching Doug on youtube........won the school's talent contest playing it on the Telecaster recently. Having a real steel will make it even better!

Grandpa cried and told me I was so good that he'd get me a gig backing up some country singers if I wanted to in the future. I said really, are you serious? And he hugged me and told me that at 15 I'm way ahead of where he was at that age with playing both the regular guitars I have, so with a little practice, I can learn the steel as well.

I think I have died and gone to heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way did I deserve this. I am still in total shock!!!!!!! And I'd be honored to be allowed to play with anyone even the least bit professionally known........
I would love to hear u play "SleepWalk".
ska8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 09:50 PM   #13
karacoustic
Awesome Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
Now if I could just get dad and grandpa to let me play it for a while, but the two of them haven't played together for a couple of months now. I'm having a blast just sitting here listening to the two of them, dad is still on the steel and grandpa on my (actually dad's) Gretsch, and my sis is doing a really decent job playing drums. Gonna plug in my old Telecaster (which was also a gift from grandpa some time ago) and join them if I can't get some time on the steel!

I get the feeling mom's shopping trip is getting cancelled, but if she still insists on going I think it's pretty clear who will be choosing to stay home

Families that rock together, stay together??? no but for real tho, that is so awesome!!!!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:05 PM   #14
KatieCO2003
Nice Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

I think we would all really enjoy hearing you play that steel. Any chance you'd upload something?
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote