Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 11th, 2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Atom Starfire
Awesome Poster

Atom Starfire's Forum Picture

Name: Adrian
Default Allow users to delete their own thread

I think that users should be allowed to delete their own threads.

Probably restrict it to only allow deleting within 10 minutes of posting, OR if the thread has been inactive for over 1 year, or threads locked by moderator.

Relating to this, I also think it should be allowed to delete a post within 10 minutes of posting.

My name is Adrian, I am 14 years old, dunno if I am gay or str8 (I am probably more of straight). I am a geek, and I am proud of it. I love computers, and all kinds of nerdy technology.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
Atom Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George
Default Re: Allow users to delete their own thread

You're more than welcome to PM a moderator or report your thread/post if you want them deleted. I believe it wouldn't really be possible to delete your posts yourself with the system we've got.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected] PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Atom Starfire
Awesome Poster

Atom Starfire's Forum Picture

Name: Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
You're more than welcome to PM a moderator or report your thread/post if you want them deleted. I believe it wouldn't really be possible to delete your posts yourself with the system we've got.
I'm guessing, is it because vBulletin doesn't have an option to allow regular users to delete their own posts?

My name is Adrian, I am 14 years old, dunno if I am gay or str8 (I am probably more of straight). I am a geek, and I am proud of it. I love computers, and all kinds of nerdy technology.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
Atom Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:33 PM   #4
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

I suppose there's no forums-software which allows that, unless a admin gives users special mod-rights. But that would be pretty lot of effort to do so for each new thread and may be end in chaos. And as a admin I wouldn't do it anyway, cause I would like having a life beyond the forums.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 01:15 PM   #5
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val

Here’s what you don’t see that makes this possibility somewhat flawed, for lack of better words: let’s say that we give users the ability to delete their threads.. that means they’re also deleting the posts of anyone who posted in their thread. Say Jimmy John makes a thread with a reasonable title, that wouldn’t make you think twice.. but in the thread, Jimmy John, Sally Sue, and Timmy T-Bone decide to exchange nudes, post their phone numbers, and start a live chat. And then Jimmy John deletes the thread, so it’s as if nothing happened, right? Now, in addition to normal moderation, we’re having to double moderate all of these potential deleted threads, etc. It’s a much more chaotic system, that allows for the potential of so much more to get by. It would absolutely make this site less safe, in my opinion.

Also, to my knowledge, there’s no way to add restrictions like that. One could argue that maybe have it set that you need a certain number of posts to be able to do so, and while that could be a possibility, it would be a bit wonky with how the setup works, and honestly, it’s not just new members who pull that kind of shit.

It is set so that if you own a diary, you have limited ‘moderation powers’ there, including the deletion and such, and I think that that’s enough for the purpose of VT. As was said, you can always ask a staff member to delete for you as we’ll (reasonably- don’t come asking us to delete 500 posts or something) happily do so for you. You can also always edit the post out.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to send me a PM.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote