Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 138 13.54%
Atheism 306 30.03%
Buddhism 12 1.18%
Christianity (Please Specify) 404 39.65%
Hinduism 9 0.88%
Islam 33 3.24%
Judaism 16 1.57%
Wicca 17 1.67%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.24%
Voters: 1019. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2061
iangillan
Member
 
Name: Shean
Join Date: July 12, 2010
Location: B Arcansas H
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Well said.
I would like to add that religion is like a dick.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around.
Also, please don't try to shove it down childrens throats.
It`s Funny,but it`s True.
Great Comparison.

If I find a girl who likes little, thin, and soft. What would I do to Her.
iangillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2062
Sith Lord 13
The Force
 
Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture
 
Name: Alex
Join Date: March 28, 2010
Location: NYC
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
image

Anyone willing to prove me wrong?
If we substitute Intelligent Design for creationism: (If you refuse to allow the substitution then I call strawman, as the people who still believe in creationism are few, far between, and often mentally ill)

1)It's a supplement to the best scientific explanations. It's a search for more, to explain away the seeming inconsistencies in certain theories.

2) The belief in and of itself is not dangerous, though some have corrupted certain teachings.

3) Again, it's a gap filling theory, based on logical jumps, the way most scientific theories start.

4) No, it's supplemental to all known scientific theories.

5) How? For those who believe in it, it's either had no more affect than any other scientific theory or given people hope that there's something greater out there.

6) Saying that statistical odd currently projected by science occurred naturally seems less logical than intelligent design for me.

7) No, it's looking for the most reasonable explanation, It can support certain beliefs but does not intrinsically do so, It stays well grounded in reality, and is supported by logic and reason.

If you ever need to talk, you can PM me. I can't promise I'll solve your problem but I'll do my best to help.
"You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!" - Han Solo
Awesome People: Country-Cowgirl, Goose, RodeoGirl, Maliza, ShatteredWings Thanks to Kaius for the awesome sig.
Puppy <3 Kitty
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Kaius10/Alex-1.png
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #2063
green
Member+
 
Join Date: January 16, 2010
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

I hate my religion and any religion that is lead by insane fanatics, I am a follower of Catholicism, but I do not have the same views on science and gays as others do. I am also a member of YACHT which is a method of thinking and philosophy that melds with my religion perfectly.

Religion has basicly been destroyed by man because everyone wants to twist it so that they have an excuse for ignorance, discrimination and war. If we all followed the laws set down by religions we would mostly be happy.

The bible is flawed, thats all I have to say. I dont view the bible as my holy book, I view art as my holy book. The bible contradicts itself, it has been rewritten by so many people that it barely resembles the beautiful book that it is supposed to be and it has once again been twisted for personal gain.

So many people mis interprate religion, this is what makes it a terrible thing, I still follow my religion but I incorprate all religions to myself. I am catholic but i also follow teachings of buddha and other religious figures.

So religion is not always bad. its the fanatics who ruin it for everyone
green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #2064
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי
 
deadpie's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damien Ark
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Location: IA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 12
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
1)It's a supplement to the best scientific explanations. It's a search for more, to explain away the seeming inconsistencies in certain theories.
More like intellectual laziness because God is the easy answer to questions ten times as complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
2) The belief in and of itself is not dangerous, though some have corrupted certain teachings.
For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. Hebrews 9:13-14, 22

Like many other passages, God does demand people to kill animals and people at times. People can read this and decide to kill. The belief can cause dangerous thoughts. And of course everyone will say "that's a misinterpretation" as their lame ass excuse for bloodshed. Well, if you add up the many types of copies and versions of The Bible, then even certain Christians also are misinterpreter it all wrong. So don't tell me I'm misinterpreter things, you.... misinterpretors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
3) Again, it's a gap filling theory, based on logical jumps, the way most scientific theories start.
Religion isn't a damn theory, it's a story of morals and lessons. And like I also said before, intellectual laziness. I could say those two words all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
4) No, it's supplemental to all known scientific theories.
The Bible isn't a reliable resource for science. I mean come on. The Bible preaches that insanity is caused by demons, which would mean that demons are causing my thoughts. Also, it says faith is the cure to illness. We all know that's bullshit sense we have Christians suffering from incurable diseases daily.

According to The Bible it is God who causes rain by opening some windows from heaven.

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Genesis 7:11 (They have good slurpees) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
5) How? For those who believe in it, it's either had no more affect than any other scientific theory or given people hope that there's something greater out there.
It's also caused those two words I've said before a few times and people to not look for logical answers but moreso believe in idiotic fairy tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
6) Saying that statistical odd currently projected by science occurred naturally seems less logical than intelligent design for me.
LOLWAT. Man made out of dirt or man evolve from ape. Which one sounds more batshit crazy? Which one has more evidence to prove the other wrong?

People don't think about other reasons when they have religion there. They don't need any other answer no matter how much better supported or weak it is. That's their answer end of story. It's closed mindedness at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
7) No, it's looking for the most reasonable explanation, It can support certain beliefs but does not intrinsically do so, It stays well grounded in reality, and is supported by logic and reason.
It's not logic and I don't see any clear reason to most of the ideas in religious scripture. The morals and such don't really mean anything special to me. Religion is not realistic. Faith isn't realistic. Faith is instinct. Instinct can be dangerous.

Oh hell no religion doesn't look for the most reasonable explanation. Scientists haven't quit doing what they do looking for answers. They sound more willing to look for different answers and explanations than scriptures that ended a damn long time ago. Science looks for the most reasonable answer to everything, not religion. Religion slaps on some weird thought that I would probably think of if I was on peyote right now. They base things off of paranormal events and magic, which are both bullshit.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2065
Joethegreat1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2011
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Creationism is not a valid theory. There is simply to much evidence that we evolved from apes, if not a distant ancestor that split into apes and eventual humans. But evolution does not contradict intelligent design. Intelligent design is but one reason to explain evolution and why we are so complicated creatures. The first part of the Bible, especially the book of Genesis, should not be taken completely literally. The account of creation in the book of Genesis could never have happened, as there is proof that the Universe is already several billion years old. Actually the early fathers of the Catholic church taught that the Genesis creation narrative was to be treated as an allegory, and they believed that natural organisms are unstable and capricious. Creationism only really started when the protestant reformation started.

One misconception is that Religion and Science do not mix, that they are polar opposites. While in some religions this is true, it is not true for Catholicism. While there may have been some times in the past where they condemned scientific beliefs (Galileo Galilei is a common example) the Church has mended its ways and taught that past condemnations were not right, and were a result of human error and straying from the true teachings of the church. In fact the Catechism of the Catholic church asserts that "Methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things the of the faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are."

"Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable."
C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Joethegreat1; May 19th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Joethegreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2066
anonymous.john
Member
 
Name: Jonathan
Join Date: April 9, 2011
Location: My House
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDon'tLikeUsernames View Post
To Sage, I believe that while a person of a religion that is not the one I believe in will not go to Heaven right away, I don't believe that they would go to Hell immediately either. It is said that to enter Heaven, you would have to live by the faith of God, but you also must be a good person. Also, I believe that when you die, God still weighs your good deeds and your bad deeds to see whether or not you should be allowed into Heaven, regardless of christianity, so a good person who believes in something else would still have a chance of going into heaven.
I've said it once and I'll say it now: You have a useless God that only serves the purpose of a divine comfort-cushion so that there's the illusion of cosmic justice in this world. Life isn't fair. Your God does not matter if believing in him is not one of the qualifications for getting into heaven.
anonymous.john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2067
Opeaceman
New Member
 
Name: Christopher
Join Date: May 20, 2011
Location: Unknown
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

“Religion or clan”
A religion seems to be an older and or bigger version of clans.
Most recent clans are fart-offs of Christianity, Buddhism and much others.
Big ones like Christianity seem ok but as for others that say can harm others I find offensive at heart.
So can we really label some of these “religions”

-EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY WORDED THE WAY I LOOK A THINGS-
Opeaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2068
BFG9001
Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2011
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

God is an excuse that doen't work.

Like, "My dog ate my homework!"
BFG9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM   #2069
The light
New Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2011
Location: West Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

i was raised as a catholic, not stirct but just church at christmas and easter. when i was about 13 i heared the song King without a crown by matisyahu(listen to this song!) and it has changed my life forever i stared praying more and really thinking about what and who God is i rejected my christian beliefs about the trinity and i got into judaisms veiw of God i read the bible A LOT. then when i was 15 our family went to india i visted a mosque, and got really interested in Islam. when i got back to australia i went to the mosque in perth and conveted a few weeks before i turned 16 i was a muslim for a year and deeply in my faith. So what do i belive now well i practice catholosim so i can support my Mum as my Dad died a few months ago. but i belive that FAITH IS ALL THAT MATTERS faith in god when all religions recognise that is true then we will have peace.
The light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2070
Perseus
Legendary Member
 
Perseus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jake
Join Date: November 15, 2008
Location: Terra incognita
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The light View Post
i was raised as a catholic, not stirct but just church at christmas and easter. when i was about 13 i heared the song King without a crown by matisyahu(listen to this song!) and it has changed my life forever i stared praying more and really thinking about what and who God is i rejected my christian beliefs about the trinity and i got into judaisms veiw of God i read the bible A LOT. then when i was 15 our family went to india i visted a mosque, and got really interested in Islam. when i got back to australia i went to the mosque in perth and conveted a few weeks before i turned 16 i was a muslim for a year and deeply in my faith. So what do i belive now well i practice catholosim so i can support my Mum as my Dad died a few months ago. but i belive that FAITH IS ALL THAT MATTERS faith in god when all religions recognise that is true then we will have peace.
So... you're a Christian Jew Muslim?
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2071
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The light View Post
i was raised as a catholic, not stirct but just church at christmas and easter. when i was about 13 i heared the song King without a crown by matisyahu(listen to this song!) and it has changed my life forever i stared praying more and really thinking about what and who God is i rejected my christian beliefs about the trinity and i got into judaisms veiw of God i read the bible A LOT. then when i was 15 our family went to india i visted a mosque, and got really interested in Islam. when i got back to australia i went to the mosque in perth and conveted a few weeks before i turned 16 i was a muslim for a year and deeply in my faith. So what do i belive now well i practice catholosim so i can support my Mum as my Dad died a few months ago. but i belive that FAITH IS ALL THAT MATTERS faith in god when all religions recognise that is true then we will have peace.
That's not a good thing. By the sounds of it, you follow anything you're subjected to. And I don't know if you've noticed, but teachings from the three different monotheistic religions are going to contradict each other.

They also do that within themselves.

And if you really think you need religion to achieve peace, then your morality is questionable. Do you really believe that faith (i.e. accepting things without any evidence which you appeared to have done not once, but thrice) is the only thing that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2072
wally
Member+
 
wally's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: May 30, 2011
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

roman catholic over here
wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #2073
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
roman catholic over here
Doesn't the bible's Decalogue say "thou shalt not kill"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2074
wally
Member+
 
wally's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: May 30, 2011
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Question Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Doesn't the bible's Decalogue say "thou shalt not kill"?
if i'm not mistaken, that has nothing to do with this thread
wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #2075
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
if i'm not mistaken, that has nothing to do with this thread
How do you know that it's not going to have anything to do with this thread?

BTW, way to go to avoid my next argument. But then I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #2076
Korashk
Awesome Poster
 
Korashk's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 14, 2010
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Doesn't the bible's Decalogue say "thou shalt not kill"?
From what I've heard, "thou shalt not murder" is a more accurate translation.
Korashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #2077
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korashk View Post
From what I've heard, "thou shalt not murder" is a more accurate translation.
And from what I've heard, it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2078
Korashk
Awesome Poster
 
Korashk's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 14, 2010
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
And from what I've heard, it is not.
Okay then, what have you heard? Because the original hebrew of that commandment contains this: רָצַח, which is translated as ratsach, which is commonly used to describe the act of murder. I'm no linguist, but I'm inclined to take the word of those who are in this regard.
Korashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #2079
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korashk View Post
Okay then, what have you heard?
Something which I can only presume was inaccurate or highly opinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korashk View Post
Because the original hebrew of that commandment contains this: רָצַח, which is translated as ratsach, which is commonly used to describe the act of murder. I'm no linguist, but I'm inclined to take the word of those who are in this regard.
A fair point, but it doesn't mean that its reference to murder is confirmed since some true meaning can always be lost in translation. As such, the lines between "murder" (which is subjective anyway) and "kill" will probably get quite blurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #2080
aussiebunnie
Member
 
aussiebunnie's Forum Picture
 
Name: Michelle
Join Date: June 11, 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Gender: Female
Default Re: Religion

Due to schooling I follow Christianity. Isn't it funny how religion is one of those things that you really don't have a choice in choosing. For example you usually believe in what your parents believe in (unless you change religions or go emo).
aussiebunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org