Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 16th, 2018, 04:27 PM   #1
LexKhalil

Name: Alex
Default I may be bipolar and I don't know how to tell my parents

Hey everyone, I'm a 14 years old boy from Lebanon.

Last year, I had my first depressive episode. It was really new to me I didn't know what it felt like before. When everything started to get better, I got really happy, like REALLY REALLY happy. It was like 2 weeks of happiness, but I got depressed again for a long period of time. It's been the same since it first happened to me, depression, happiness, depression. I'm not going to lie, no one knows about that. I just solve my problems alone, but I feel like it's getting harder now. I don't have a lot of friends because I'm not really popular or anything, and I have really low self confidence. I "tried" to cut my self two months ago, but I didn't really know how to. I have had minor suicidal thoughts, and I stay awake till 4 AM every night because I can't get to sleep. I just watch youtube all night long.
When I started searching, I found some bipolar tests online, so I tried 4 of them and all 4 showed that I was bipolar. I don't really trust the results, so I need to tell my parents about it.
But the real problem is, my parents usually laugh at me or tell me "You're fine" because they think I'm just acting or something...

Sorry for the really long story, but I really need help, and I don't know any psychologist I can trust here. How can I tell my parents, or how can I diagnose myself and THEN tell my parents?

Thank you for helping

(BTW this is my first post)
LexKhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Ethan19
Member+

Ethan19's Forum Picture

Name: Ethan
Default Re: I may be bipolar and I don't know how to tell my parents

Really don't think you're bipolar, as what you are describing does not suggest bipolar. As for the tests, online tests show nothing significant; I could create a 100 question test and make up bullshit results - they mean nothing unless aided by a professional. Finally, for the self diagnosis, that's just a stupid thing to attempt. People misdiagnose themselves with basic physiological illnesses, so I wouldn't even bother trying it with psychological ones.

Tell your parents how you are feeling and ask to see someone about it.
Ethan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #3
CoryW
Great Poster

CoryW's Forum Picture

Name: Cory

If something was wrong with you your parents more than likely would have noticed it. They're like that.
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Jinglebottom
Awesome Poster

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

Lebanese parents are completely oblivious when it comes to mental issues, I know from experience. When I was your age (just a few years ago, but things change very fast when you're a teenager) I felt really down and depressed most of the time, but it was because I was coming to terms with something that would affect me and make me feel "different" for the rest of my life. Parents never suspected a thing.
Perhaps you need to sit down and have a talk with your parents, and tell them you feel like something is seriously off. I hope they believe you. Best of luck.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #5
LexKhalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
If something was wrong with you your parents more than likely would have noticed it. They're like that.
I'm the kind of person that "keeps everything inside" so I keep smiling all day. Technically they can't notice.
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:25 PM   #6
LexKhalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebottom View Post
Lebanese parents are completely oblivious when it comes to mental issues, I know from experience. When I was your age (just a few years ago, but things change very fast when you're a teenager) I felt really down and depressed most of the time, but it was because I was coming to terms with something that would affect me and make me feel "different" for the rest of my life. Parents never suspected a thing.
Perhaps you need to sit down and have a talk with your parents, and tell them you feel like something is seriously off. I hope they believe you. Best of luck.
The thing is I don't know how to tell them about it. And if they see me happy all day they won't even believe me. And even if they do, I don't think they're going to do anything about it, they'll just tell me to "think positive". What should I do?
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Jinglebottom
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexKhalil View Post
The thing is I don't know how to tell them about it. And if they see me happy all day they won't even believe me. And even if they do, I don't think they're going to do anything about it, they'll just tell me to "think positive". What should I do?
That's the thing. They'll just think you're being a typical moody teenager and write you off without a second thought. There is serious stigma concerning that sort of stuff here, most parents would refuse to believe there might be something wrong with their child. Could you get help from a school counselor? We have those (quite useless tho) but I don't know if your school does.

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:04 PM   #8
LexKhalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebottom View Post
That's the thing. They'll just think you're being a typical moody teenager and write you off without a second thought. There is serious stigma concerning that sort of stuff here, most parents would refuse to believe there might be something wrong with their child. Could you get help from a school counselor? We have those (quite useless tho) but I don't know if your school does.
No I don't think we have school counselors. I think I'm going to start by telling my cousins (because we're very close) and my friends, but I don't think they could do much to help me.

Last edited by LexKhalil; April 18th, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Jinglebottom
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexKhalil View Post
No I don't think we have school counselors. I think I'm going to start by telling my cousins (because we're very close) and my friends, but I don't think they could do anything to help me.
Well they obviously can't evaluate you the way a professional could, but it's still nice to have some support coming from friends and family. ^^

PM - VM

*Mars was here*