Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 21st, 2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn
Smile A beautiful thing happened at church this morning

Many of you know that last year my parents adopted Jamie, who is now 23, and has Down Syndrome. She has been a total blessing to my family, and I wanted to share the beautiful thing that happened at church this morning.

I always say everything happens for a reason but this one has me scratching my head trying to figure it out. Of course the Easter services are usually packed with people who only attend church twice a year, so it takes longer.

As usual in recent weeks, I was the lead vocalist in the choir, which puts me in a position where I can see just about everything going on in most of the church since we are on risers that are higher above the rest of the seats.

Anyhow, something amazing happened. Today Jamie decided to wear white leggings and a pink shirt with tiny white stripes, and of course she was sitting with my parents and sisters. Another family came in, which we have never seen before, and sat down a few rows behind mine. Must have been here visiting relatives or something. They had two girls with them, both very obviously Down Syndrome kids. One was wearing white leggings and the exact same pink shirt with tiny white stripes as Jamie. She was maybe 13-14 IDK but profoundly affected to the point where she had to be led by another person. Her little sister was maybe 5, wearing pink leggings and a white shirt, just the opposite of Jamie and the older girl.

So it took about a minute for these girls to catch sight of Jamie, and something amazing happened, IDK if they can sense each other, recognize other people with Down Syndrome or what, but the little girl took her sister by the hand and led her up to the row where my family was sitting. The older girl sat next to Jamie, and the little one climbed up onto Jamie's lap and remained there for the entire service. The older one was cuddled up tightly against Jamie and resting her head on Jamie's shoulder a lot of the time. Their parents were nearly in shock, you should have seen the expressions on their faces. Now my other older sis Megan was sitting on the opposite side of Jamie, and both Megan and Jamie were beaming with smiles.

During fellowship in the social hall after the service, we got to know the people and had some time to talk. But none of us were able to explain what had taken place during the service.........

When it was time for everyone to go home, all three of the girls hugged and kissed each other. It was so touching, made me want to cry. All I can say is it was just beautiful, and supposed to happen that way for a reason. I was able to get the mom's contact info and found out they will be in the area for a few days, so I'm gonna do everything possible to get the three girls together for a few hours again.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:29 PM   #2
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: A beautiful thing happened at church this morning

Im sure those that have Downs Syndrome can
recognize others with the same condition and
relate to each other more so than to another
person. Nice story.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

It's a real heart warming story, wish I could've seen it myself.

Give me pizza covered in pineapple. Give me burgers loaded with pickles. Give me a steak burned to rubber and drowned in ketchup. I'll eat it all and sing hallelujah. But I'm begging you. Please don't serve me tuna. I'm a human being, not a cat.
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

I talked to the other two girls mom a while ago and we made arrangements for them to spend time with Jamie this evening. I think we'll do a simple pizza party followed by some play time. She told me that both of her girls love to play with dolls and spend hours doing that together. I told her to have them bring some of their favorites with them and I'm sure Jamie would love to get on the floor and play dolls with them, since she does that with the little ones at the day care where she works. Hopefully we can get to know these girls and they can become friends. I found out that the family does have relatives here, just up the road from us in fact, and they only live about an hour away, so it's not impossible that they could see each other again in the future.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
karacoustic
Awesome Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

I love this. This is definitely something that can and should be built on.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by karacoustic; May 19th, 2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Typo
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

I have to update this. The auntie of these two girls lives nearby and has offered to take both of them for the summer, to give their mom a break from the 24-7 responsibility of watching the older girl. The younger one is much less of a problem to care for and in fact sees herself as the protector and helper of her older sister. So the auntie asked my sisters if they would be interested in helping with the two girls over the summer and my sisters are totally on board with it!!!!!! We will be seeing them a lot it looks like. They are coming next week and will be here till some time in August.