Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 17th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #21
Dmaxd123
Nice Poster

Default Re: What are your thoughts on homeschooling?

in theory not a bad idea, gives the family a bit more freedom if one parent works from home and one travels for work the whole family could then travel and see/experience more

in practice i know of one home schooled person that's parents taught them the earth is flat so now even as an adult they aren't well adjusted

but also if a teacher in a regular public/private school needs a 4 year degree, is there a test for home school parents to see if they are qualified before they are allowed to teach their kids at home?
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:04 PM   #22
thewilddog

thewilddog's Forum Picture

Name: Mrs.Birthday Dog
Unhappy Re: What are your thoughts on homeschooling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
in theory not a bad idea, gives the family a bit more freedom if one parent works from home and one travels for work the whole family could then travel and see/experience more

in practice i know of one home schooled person that's parents taught them the earth is flat so now even as an adult they aren't well adjusted

but also if a teacher in a regular public/private school needs a 4 year degree, is there a test for home school parents to see if they are qualified before they are allowed to teach their kids at home?
Some parents use a ready made curriculum complete with activities etc. if you have questions about them, then google sonlight or calvert school. But yhhh you have a point. If they really are making it allll up as they go along with NO maths curriculum or english curriculum then especially for older kids that might be a problem! My friends mom is a wualified teacher AND she uses curriculums so yeah…

thx
-The Wild Dog- a homeschooler, debater, reader, coder. Loves hearing about new inventions and technology!

PM me whenever! I love to chat/rant! If you don't i'll PM you!
(My Uncle (professional photographer and computer programmer) took the photo of mr birthday dog!)
thewilddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 10:21 AM   #23
nikkimelan

nikkimelan's Forum Picture

Name: Nikki

Dont like the idea. I like my friends at school too much
nikkimelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #24
Emilyfox
Great Poster

Emilyfox's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post

A degree is piece of paper from an institution that may not be worth much
Homeschooling gives the opportunity of not spoon feeding kids with the governments agendas and intentional dumbing down

That’s why there is also “unschooling”
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:40 AM   #25
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn

I think homeschooling is a really bad idea because of the lack of interaction with other kids on a daily basis. We have had a few kids who were homeschooled in grades 1-8 come in to high school for the very first time they ever attended a real school, and they couldn't handle it emotionally. Homeschooling doesn't prepare people to live in the real world. Also there is way too much opportunity for cheating and saying something was completed on the list of required studies, when the parent might actually have been assisting the child when taking the tests or allowing them to look up the answers. No thanks.

A close relative works for a company in one of the bigger cities and is one of the people that interviews prospective job applicants. Home schooling is a huge red flag for most HR departments and she tells me that people who have been home schooled have documented history of issues interacting with their team of co-workers in all sorts of jobs and fields and generally do not do well in the business world. She says that the vast majority of people who were home schooled will not even be considered for employment by many companies.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 09:27 AM   #26
Adamant
Great Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

I know its different in some ways but in my school...you are just put in a room to learn from a computer of worksheets and textbooks as a punishment. its being put in isolation. I have been there and done that...a lot. I reckon ou learn loads more interacting with other peopel.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #27
logan2002
Member++

Name: logan

The public school system here has a building open to home schoolers. They can have interaction with others.
logan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 04:03 AM   #28
Tommy2301

Name: Thomas

I do have multiple problems with home schooling...
First, a teacher needs to study (depends on the country you’re living in) 1 or two different subjects for about 4-5 years and also they got educated in the subject of education. So this means sociology, psychology, padagogy and education science. So they’re professionals in few different subjects. And parents want to do a job by there own, for which teachers needed years of studying... there is no way parents could replace multiple teachers!
Furthermore, if you are going to school, you also got social contacts.
And than if something bad happens at home, the teachers will realize it and have to interfere.. I remember a very bad case couple years ago, which had been happened in California. the children had been locked up for years by their parents at home and the children weren’t allowed to visit school. The parents told the officials, they’re home teaching the kids... this is nearly impossible here in Germany, cause we’ve to go to school. If you’re not showing up for a longer time and it seems to be strange, the city police will check on you. This governmental behavior is about to keep children save.

Last edited by Tommy2301; July 15th, 2019 at 04:31 AM.
Tommy2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #29
Adamant
Great Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2301 View Post
First, a teacher needs to study (depends on the country you’re living in) 1 or two different subjects for about 4-5 years and also they got educated in the subject of education. So this means sociology, psychology, padagogy and education science. So they’re professionals in few different subjects. And parents want to do a job by there own, for which teachers needed years of studying... there is no way parents could replace multiple teachers!

And than if something bad happens at home, the teachers will realize it and have to interfere.. I.
My grandad is a teacher so he would agree with the first part.
As for the second part, it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the California case but the school did start asking questions about what was happening to me and i ended up beiong taken into care. it wasn't a completre sucess and i hated the teachers at the time but guess it was the right thing to do.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:28 AM   #30
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2301 View Post
Furthermore, if you are going to school, you also got social contacts.
And than if something bad happens at home, the teachers will realize it and have to interfere.. I remember a very bad case couple years ago, which had been happened in California. the children had been locked up for years by their parents at home and the children weren’t allowed to visit school. The parents told the officials, they’re home teaching the kids... this is nearly impossible here in Germany, cause we’ve to go to school. If you’re not showing up for a longer time and it seems to be strange, the city police will check on you. This governmental behavior is about to keep children save.
Of course the parents should have enough knowledge on all the subjects to be able to explain
I guess there are books to use as support
And i guess it's easier when the teacher only have one student rather than 20 or 30

But i guess you do many more friends and social at school than at home. At school you have your classmates, but also their brothers /sisters, you get to know people in the grades below or above you.
And if it weren't for school I'm not sure where i could have met my girlfriends
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 05:35 AM   #31
Caesc

Name: Jake

Hey,

I have been homeschooled for quite some time now, but instead of having parents teach me tutors come in each day trained in their specific subject. We try and stay by the same curriculum as our local school but it’s become clear that we complete topics at a much faster rate, as they make it interested so I’m highly focused. So, 1 to 1 is definitely beneficial in terms of education.

However, there’s one problem: no peer interaction; I’m stuck at home all day. This isn’t a huge problem as I attend clubs after and get to see friends and interact with peers. Although, others who don’t participate in activities outside of lessons, I’m guessing will get pretty fed up.

Pros:
Topics covered more quickly
Can take your time during lessons and actually try to understand the subject matter
You can ask questions to ensure you’re on the right track

Cons:
Can be lonely and boring
Sometimes lessons can feel tedious
Too much freedom: my tutors sometimes feel like study partners rather than teachers so we often digress onto other subjects and fall behind on study.

I wouldn’t recommend being taught at home throughout every stage of school (e.g elementary, middle and high) as I have acquired most of my friends from middle school. Keeping yourself busy is also of utmost importance. Join some clubs, go out to the supermaket, get some fresh air; it’s essential.

Thanks,
Jake.
Caesc is offline   Reply With Quote