Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 22nd, 2019, 12:28 AM   #21
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Re: Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
and god creaated the plants, but if you wanna go the "man should not medleth" route...
According to the bible God created everything as it is he did create the plant but also the effect the plant as when consumed. You could also argue while its the human that is responsible for creating meth but that God is responsible for the effects that meth as on the human brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 12:32 AM   #22
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
According to the bible God created everything as it is he did create the plant but also the effect the plant as when consumed. You could also argue while its the human that is responsible for creating meth but that God is responsible for the effects that meth as on the human brain.
that- thats the point i was making, God created the plants, therefore,..

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 03:28 PM   #23
Adamant
Nice Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Ok so new to all this religion stuff. Done some stuff in RE lessons though so.....Isn't Genesis supposed to be a story that tells something true. Kind of look for the truth its trying to get over.
About the snake. In Genesis it says God changed the "whatever it was" into a new snake shape anyway.
isn't the order of Genesis a bit like evolution. Stuff in th esea leading to animals then humans last of all.
OK I know thats all a bit simple sounding when it muust be very complicated but just an idea.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM   #24
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
Ok so new to all this religion stuff. Done some stuff in RE lessons though so.....Isn't Genesis supposed to be a story that tells something true. Kind of look for the truth its trying to get over.
About the snake. In Genesis it says God changed the "whatever it was" into a new snake shape anyway.
isn't the order of Genesis a bit like evolution. Stuff in th esea leading to animals then humans last of all.
OK I know thats all a bit simple sounding when it muust be very complicated but just an idea.
Genesis's interpretation generally falls into three camps, the one camp you've described, the evolution has nothing to do with it camp and the "its all a metaphor camp, the last being the stupidist, and your description the most sane.

howeverrrr, in Genesis God creates everything BEFORE he says let there be light(aka makes the big bang) soooooo

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:27 PM   #25
Adamant
Nice Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Quote:
Genesis's interpretation generally falls into three camps, the one camp you've described, the evolution has nothing to do with it camp and the "its all a metaphor camp, the last being the stupidist, and your description the most sane.

howeverrrr, in Genesis God creates everything BEFORE he says let there be light(aka makes the big bang) soooooo
Just checked in a Bible - just been given one by my neighbour who goes to church-(Thank God that Genesis is easy to find). My version says he made the sun and moon later than some stuff but said "let there be light" right at the start.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:35 PM   #26
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Just checked in a Bible - just been given one by my neighbour who goes to church-(Thank God that Genesis is easy to find). My version says he made the sun and moon later than some stuff but said "let there be light" right at the start.

Genesis 1:3 *then, God said, "Let ther be light" and there was light.*
Genesis 1:1 *in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Genesis 1:2 *now the earth wasformless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths and the Spirit of God was hovoring over the surface of the waters.*

Last edited by RattleHead; January 22nd, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:38 PM   #27
Adamant
Nice Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Quote:
Genesis 1:6 *then, God said, "Let ther be light" and there was light.*
Genesis 1:1 *in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Genesis 1:2 *now the earth wasformless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths and the Spirit of God was hovoring over the surface of the waters.*
Oh see what you mean. I thought the first couple of verses were like a chapter heading or introduction. Note to self. Never argue with an expert.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:39 PM   #28
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Oh see what you mean. I thought the first couple of verses were like a chapter heading or introduction. Note to self. Never argue with an expert.
its ok, i've been being dragged to church since i was 8 so

Old January 31st, 2019, 11:46 PM   #29
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Happy to see that we have several Sts. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas and Athanasius here.
Falcons_11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 07:44 AM   #30
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
Happy to see that we have several Sts. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas and Athanasius here.
You just forget the greatest of em all

St Oscar, yours truly...
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 03:43 PM   #31
thewilddog

thewilddog's Forum Picture

Name: The thing……

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
God planting evidence to trick us, that must be it, because it couldn't possibly be that the book of genesis is just made up shit and that evolution is proving that.
We.actually dont have THAT MUCH evidence. Media makes us think we have more than we really do. Read icons of evolution to see how little that amount is
-thewilddog
avid debatist for christ
thewilddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:05 AM   #32
Snowfox
Member++

Name: Pyry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmland View Post
Here i want to discuss about book of Genesis (Adam and Eve, tower of Babilon...).

Recently i've been thinking a lot about evolution and also about Adam and Eve.
I have quit good explanation. When God started talking to Moses he couldn't have just said that he did evolution that he made all the rules of physic and chemistry (all molecules and atoms , reaction...) . I mean i am pretty sure people of bronze age who lived in tents and were hunter wouldn't understand something so complex. He gave us time to find out this stuff by ourself.

But now i am wandering why do we have to get baptised if there was probably no Adam and Eve at all and it was just a story for old nations (their lack of knowledge and understandment) . Probably it is to show the connection between God and people and to show that we care about him. Maybe to withdraw our animal side (since we developed from primats) ?

At same point i am also wandering if evolution is true. We have a lot of evidence but still... God is almighty so he could just create all the evidence to trick us. No one knows no one saw this --> evolution and also Adam and Eve.
God does not trick. Its Satan who tricks us.
I see Genesis as allegory. But on other hand there had to be logically first man and woman. Species evolve from somewhere but at some point there is mutation and new specie is born. You have heard about egg and chicken thing? And i see it as true since what good would be talking to bronze age person about atoms etc.
It would be just as fruitless as talking to @mattsmith48 about anything in general and when he/she doesnt understand I would switch to finnish´to try to make him/her understand. Just wouldnt work. So using language they understand is logical.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #33
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewilddog View Post
We.actually dont have THAT MUCH evidence. Media makes us think we have more than we really do. Read icons of evolution to see how little that amount is
-thewilddog
avid debatist for christ
Going after the media is my thing don't steal my bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
God does not trick. Its Satan who tricks us.
You're right about that, God does not trick people, he murders them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
I see Genesis as allegory. But on other hand there had to be logically first man and woman. Species evolve from somewhere but at some point there is mutation and new specie is born. You have heard about egg and chicken thing? And i see it as true since what good would be talking to bronze age person about atoms etc.
It would be just as fruitless as talking to @mattsmith48 about anything in general and when he/she doesnt understand I would switch to finnish´to try to make him/her understand. Just wouldnt work. So using language they understand is logical.
That's kinda insulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:43 PM   #34
Jake445
Nice Poster

Name: Jake

So far it looks like the classical "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" debate.

Fourteen, Twin.
Feel free to PM and or add me.
Jake445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:07 PM   #35
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The hill above the big lake, opposed to the big city on the mainland.

Will I ever get it, why those, who claim to believers need and talk always about evidence? Because faith needs no such a thing like evidence.

Those who have faith are believers. And those who know are knowers. A believer who knows is therfore a paradox. But despite everything, the wise knows that the truth isn't just knowledge, but is also faith. Belief in knowledge and knowledge in faith.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:54 PM   #36
Snowfox
Member++

Name: Pyry

@mattsmith48 what is so insulting?
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 06:27 AM   #37
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
Because faith needs no such a thing like evidence.
Then what are we supposed to believe when science says monkeys progressively mutated into men, and faith says man was created by God in one day?
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote