Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 15th, 2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

Lightbulb Genesis

Here i want to discuss about book of Genesis (Adam and Eve, tower of Babilon...).

Recently i've been thinking a lot about evolution and also about Adam and Eve.
I have quit good explanation. When God started talking to Moses he couldn't have just said that he did evolution that he made all the rules of physic and chemistry (all molecules and atoms , reaction...) . I mean i am pretty sure people of bronze age who lived in tents and were hunter wouldn't understand something so complex. He gave us time to find out this stuff by ourself.

But now i am wandering why do we have to get baptised if there was probably no Adam and Eve at all and it was just a story for old nations (their lack of knowledge and understandment) . Probably it is to show the connection between God and people and to show that we care about him. Maybe to withdraw our animal side (since we developed from primats) ?

At same point i am also wandering if evolution is true. We have a lot of evidence but still... God is almighty so he could just create all the evidence to trick us. No one knows no one saw this --> evolution and also Adam and Eve.
Farmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #2
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.
Default Re: Genesis

just declare genesis equal to evolution, and that the dates in the Bible are to be understood only symbolically, since people in pre-biblical times had no idea of such vast periods, as they are taught nowadays in school if the case is about history or development of the Universe or even of life on Earth.

Science and faith need not necessarily be opposites if one reinterprets holy scriptures flexibly and takes them for what they are, namely writings written by individual, mortal believers who simply interpreted their deity in the context of the knowledge of those ancient times.

Anyone who takes such sriptures literally imo seems to be a fundamentalist, and fundamentalists simply don't have an expanded spiritual and spiritual horizon, what most leads to bigotry and hypocrisy we know so well from our times.

therefore, imo, you must not withdrawing anything, but simply adapt just a few things.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

Thank you for your opinion it helps but i am still wandering whats the main reason of baptisem.
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:22 PM   #4
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Spooky Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmland View Post
Thank you for your opinion it helps but i am still wandering whats the main reason of baptisem.
to puplicly proclaim your faith.

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years—if it ever did end—began, so far as I
know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with
rain. - Stephen King
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:56 PM   #5
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
I mean in terms of theology, it's meant to wash away the Original Sin of Adam and Eve and therefore allow the follower of Christ to begin a fresh slate of deed, whether good or bad. As far as I'm aware, the blessed water of the font is meant to cleanse the person of sin and make them born anew, whether they are a baby or adult (depending on your denomination and therefore when a member of the church is baptised).
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:49 PM   #6
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Here i want to discuss about book of Genesis (Adam and Eve, tower of Babilon...).

Recently i've been thinking a lot about evolution and also about Adam and Eve.
I have quit good explanation. When God started talking to Moses he couldn't have just said that he did evolution that he made all the rules of physic and chemistry (all molecules and atoms , reaction...) . I mean i am pretty sure people of bronze age who lived in tents and were hunter wouldn't understand something so complex. He gave us time to find out this stuff by ourself.

But now i am wandering why do we have to get baptised if there was probably no Adam and Eve at all and it was just a story for old nations (their lack of knowledge and understandment) . Probably it is to show the connection between God and people and to show that we care about him. Maybe to withdraw our animal side (since we developed from primats) ?

At same point i am also wandering if evolution is true. We have a lot of evidence but still... God is almighty so he could just create all the evidence to trick us. No one knows no one saw this --> evolution and also Adam and Eve.
God planting evidence to trick us, that must be it, because it couldn't possibly be that the book of genesis is just made up shit and that evolution is proving that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 01:54 AM   #7
HeyCameron
Great Poster

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

If Genesis is mythological or allegorical or subject to a wide variety of interpretation (this last one is at least indisputable), it doesn't need to be scientifically accurate.

The Bible is not a scientific document. People who act like it is (whether atheists trying to prove it false or believers trying to prove it true) are missing the point of the different functions of science and religion.

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 02:58 AM   #8
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
If Genesis is mythological or allegorical or subject to a wide variety of interpretation (this last one is at least indisputable), it doesn't need to be scientifically accurate.

The Bible is not a scientific document. People who act like it is (whether atheists trying to prove it false or believers trying to prove it true) are missing the point of the different functions of science and religion.
The Bible is not a scientific document but it is based of scientific knowledge from the time it was written. And it was written to be taken literally like any other religious texts whether its from the older religions like Islam, Judaism or Christianity or from the newer ones like Mormonism or Scientology.

The problem I have with the interpretation thing is, while some things in the Bible was not intended to be interpreted literally alot of things clearly were. A talking snake convincing Eve to eat the apple can be interpreted in many ways, but God creating everything in 7 days and created man from his image. That is clearly meant to be literal.

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old January 17th, 2019, 02:03 PM   #9
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Imo, without exception, everything's meant to be just for interpretation in scriptures .

Also, I don't think that in such scriptures like the Bible something ever has been described, even rudimentarily, scientifically. There may be historical references to real life events. In the end it's all based on general knowledge, perhaps even on self-experienced situations, but there's no relation to scientifically acquired knowledge.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #10
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
Imo, without exception, everything's meant to be just for interpretation in scriptures .
Challenge Accepted

Quote:
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

Thank you for all your replies it helps me a lot to understand the bible. Buh lonej
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:04 AM   #12
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Thank you for all your replies it helps me a lot to understand the bible. Buh lonej
Sometimes it is more of a guide than a strict code.
For me the 10 commandments are literal (you shall not kill etc)
But other things are more of interpretation. Like I dont believe a snake conviced a girl to eat an apple (since when snakes can talk? )
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:08 AM   #13
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar2005 View Post
(since when snakes can talk? )
ummm? since Satan took the form of one? duh

The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years—if it ever did end—began, so far as I
know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with
rain. - Stephen King
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:24 AM   #14
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
Personaly if I realized a snake is talking to me, I wouldn't start to listen to him but rather go to a shrink...
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:28 AM   #15
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Personaly if I realized a snake is talking to me, I wouldn't start to listen to him but rather go to a shrink...
Don't get me wrong, i apprechiate your humor but, yknow nobody knew what a shrink was right? thats kinda the whole thing about the tree of knowlege, is that nobody had the knowlege except God and his Angels(encluding lucifer) so eve was like, the most nieve chick ever at that point

rain. - Stephen King
Old January 19th, 2019, 01:25 PM   #16
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Sometimes it is more of a guide than a strict code.
For me the 10 commandments are literal (you shall not kill etc)
But other things are more of interpretation. Like I dont believe a snake conviced a girl to eat an apple (since when snakes can talk? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
Quote:
Come on guys, everyone knows the talking snake was just Eve trippin on mushrooms.

Quote:
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:33 AM   #17
Farmland

Farmland's Forum Picture

I guess God shouldnt have created drugs back than ... XD
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:18 PM   #18
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
There is a lot of things in the bible God shouldn't have done.

Quote:
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:15 PM   #19
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster

Quote:
God didn't create drugs. Humans created them from plants
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:59 PM   #20
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
God didn't create drugs. Humans created them from plants
and god creaated the plants, but if you wanna go the "man should not medleth" route...

rain. - Stephen King