Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 15th, 2018, 12:58 AM   #21
West Coast Sheriff
Legendery Veteran

West Coast Sheriff's Forum Picture

Name: F.
Default Re: Proposal to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Um. This has very little to do with the electoral college. This is actually almost an entirely local issue, essentially just dealing with the more rural, conservative Californians not wanting to live under a government lead by the urban, liberal Californians. In reality, this is an issue of a rural minority wanting more self-representation in the face of an urban majority.
Pretty much agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
just like upstate NY, once you get north of the hudson valley where a majority of the land is you still don't get a say within the state on election day
My home state of Colorado is getting ruined this way too. It was a good swing state but the Denver metro is growing crazy and has made the state go blue.

Living in So Cal I could probably care less how they split the state. I think Southern California is fine or near fine but Northern California is kinda ridiculous and central California is so big as well and I feel for those people who are under represented in this state. Our economy is the fifth largest worldwide I believe. I don't know how splitting the state would affect the country. It's better in my opinion than making a new California republic. I think that would be bad for the U.S. And Cali. I think California spends way too much. But maybe they have enough to afford how much they spend? The federal government already over spends as it is and they can't afford it. I don't think we are a burden to this country because I think we are a very significant part of the country. I will probably vote against this state splitting but will be researching more to make a more informed vote. I almost wanted to stay registered in Colorado because I think my vote might mean something there.

THESHERIFF
Visit the links below if you'd like

West Coast Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:46 AM   #22
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Proposal to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot

This affects me, so yeah it should a regional thing between urban and rural conflicts but a lot of the drama is drummed up.

NorCal is mad because of all the water they send to SoCal, with very little respect in return based on all the rhetoric about crazy left San Francisco and Oakland.

But I think the state is better together rather than separating, because if it separates it does ruin budget projections and stability that was just getting established by Gov. Jerry Brown.

The state has an annual budget surplus now and residence throughout the state both north and south are mad at Jerry Brown for holding onto that surplus to replenish the “rainy day” fund used during recession years.

People feel that money should be spent now on the roads and bridges because those commuters travel too much to go to work or used to relieve high taxes; wealthier SoCal end up paying proportionally more.

But one driving trend is housing is super expensive for families and small homes are selling for 1 million in many places, part of the exodus of people leaving are people who want to stay in California but can’t afford to others are wealthy but leaving voluntarily.

Last edited by Uniquemind; June 15th, 2018 at 03:50 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 02:22 PM   #23
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
What happens to liberal areas of these proposed conservative states? Do they have to hold a vote to rejoin the liberal states or do they get to split off too? And what happens to places in the US with more legitimate and longer-standing applications for statehood such as Washington DC?
Well it will be their turn to have their votes not count. Well except for the ones who's votes already don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
I think more Americans are realizing that they'd rather separate themselves from people with different ideas than try to work together. That seems to be the lesson of modern politics.
That's just sad.

@West Coast Sheriff @Dmaxd123 You are both complaining of the lack of representation you get, would you be in favour of changing the electoral system to one similar to Germany and New Zealand so you can have better representation at the state level and if not why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 02:35 PM   #24
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Or we should go by popular vote.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:52 PM   #25
Harrier
Awesome Poster

They wanna split Washington State too. Well some people do. Not everybody. It will never happen. California either. Western WA is very different than Eastern WA. Just like SoCal is very different than NoCal. Politically. Jobs. Geography. Everything. But 50 states is good. We don't need 52 or 54 or 56 or 100 if every state split. Imagine the cost to print new signs and shit just like that. We don't have the money.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 08:50 PM   #26
BlackParadePixie
hello beautiful

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona

I love the idea, because my part of the state would most likely be much more conservative than the rest of the state. Unfortunately this is a waste of time, the voters will most likely vote it down.

18 *** f *** Wes Anderson fan *** proud Italian-American *** UCLA student

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
and count every beautiful thing we can see

BlackParadePixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 11:06 AM   #27
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Or we should go by popular vote.
Thats what you are already doing, popular vote only works when they are only 2 options available like on a yes or no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackParadePixie View Post
I love the idea, because my part of the state would most likely be much more conservative than the rest of the state. Unfortunately this is a waste of time, the voters will most likely vote it down.
So you'd ratter split the state into 3, so instead of you vote being worthless its someone elses? I'm asking the same thing I asked the other 2, would you be in favour of changing the electoral system to one similar to Germany and New Zealand so you can have better representation at the state level and if not why?

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:30 PM   #28
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Well it will be their turn to have their votes not count. Well except for the ones who's votes already don't count.
That's the major issue here: it's people attempting to chase this perfect electoral system where absolutely everyone's votes count and no one feels under-represented. The only way someone can ensure that their vote will be crucial to absolutely every electoral race they vote in is to make a new state for every citizen.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #29
HeyCameron
Member++

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

I volunteer to be governor of Cameronia

I spent a year suspended in air...my mind on the gap, my head on the stairs
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #30
Ragle
Member++

Ragle's Forum Picture

Name: Elgar

... of SoCam or NoCam?
Ragle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 11:37 AM   #31
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
That's the major issue here: it's people attempting to chase this perfect electoral system where absolutely everyone's votes count and no one feels under-represented. The only way someone can ensure that their vote will be crucial to absolutely every electoral race they vote in is to make a new state for every citizen.
Or you know, MMP. Sure its not 100% everytime but 95-99% of the votes counting is still pretty good.

Quote:
Old June 18th, 2018, 02:21 PM   #32
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
Haha Californians dying is pretty funny, isn't it? Guess I'll laugh next time a hurricane ravishes the South.
Sorry..but making a joke about natural disasters ravishing any country isn't funny. A couple years ago Hurricane Harvey ravished the South (mainly Texas) with losses of many lives and property. People are still suffering. We shouldn't wish for hurricanes in the South or East, wildfires and earthquakes in the West or volcanos in Hawaii or Northwest. Natural disasters are serious.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote