Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 21st, 2019, 09:20 AM   #41
karacoustic
Awesome Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara
Default Re: Who Is Your Favourite Author?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojack View Post
Right now I really like James S.A. Corey and I'm working my way through his Expanse series. I think its actually two guys writing the book together, but not sure. King is great too, and I'm slowly getting through the dark tower series
Oooh i like The Expanse. Well tv show i mean. That means i should like the books, right?
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:31 PM   #42
TaCoonaBiKe

Name: Sam
Location: Depths of the atlantic ocean.. yes, we have wifi here

Brandon Mull

Crack the throttle
TaCoonaBiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:55 PM   #43
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

ArfyMcPeesh's Forum Picture

Name: Arfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaCoonaBiKe View Post
Brandon Mull
Did you read Beyonders?
ArfyMcPeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:13 PM   #44
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Spooky Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
Oooh i like The Expanse. Well tv show i mean. That means i should like the books, right?
yes, read the books, they'll be well worth your time

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 01:45 AM   #45
TaCoonaBiKe

Name: Sam
Location: Depths of the atlantic ocean.. yes, we have wifi here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArfyMcPeesh View Post
Did you read Beyonders?
Not yet, i plan to tho

Crack the throttle
TaCoonaBiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2019, 02:34 AM   #46
EmilySwimmer

Name: Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney05 View Post
Mine is by far Stephen King.
JK Rowling
EmilySwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:39 PM   #47
Confused_panda

Terry Pratchett, but Raymond E. Feist is a close second I think.
Confused_panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:43 PM   #48
Confused_panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySwimmer View Post
JK Rowling
You probably won't like this then!
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:45 PM   #49
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused_panda View Post
Terry Pratchett, but Raymond E. Feist is a close second I think.
So, if one was interested in reading Pratchett where would you recommend they start?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:00 PM   #50
Confused_panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
So, if one was interested in reading Pratchett where would you recommend they start?
Oh man, where to start... I'm not a fan of his very early ones, before the world became fully developed. I've read them so many times over the years though, I'm not sure where best to start...

Personally I like the books about the Watch (the city police force), so starting with Guards Guards, then Men at Arms, Feet of Clay and so on. Night Watch is, I think, his best work, but you kind of need the other Watch stories before to really understand the backstory and the slightly claustrophobic darkness of it - which is so different to most of the other books.

I'd say probably Going Postal then Making Money? They are based around a character that was introduced later on, so the world and the city is a bit more developed, but it introduces a new character so there isn't as much backstory needed possibly.
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:05 PM   #51
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Oh man, where to start... I'm not a fan of his very early ones, before the world became fully developed. I've read them so many times over the years though, I'm not sure where best to start...

Personally I like the books about the Watch (the city police force), so starting with Guards Guards, then Men at Arms, Feet of Clay and so on. Night Watch is, I think, his best work, but you kind of need the other Watch stories before to really understand the backstory and the slightly claustrophobic darkness of it - which is so different to most of the other books.

I'd say probably Going Postal then Making Money? They are based around a character that was introduced later on, so the world and the city is a bit more developed, but it introduces a new character so there isn't as much backstory needed possibly.
ok.. cool. so, Going Postal followed by Making Money follolwed by the Watch books then read whatever after that?

P.S i ask this question having already read and liked Dodger, but I knew most of his work was part of one labeled series so,

Old April 1st, 2019, 04:18 PM   #52
Confused_panda

Quote:
ok.. cool. so, Going Postal followed by Making Money follolwed by the Watch books then read whatever after that?

P.S i ask this question having already read and liked Dodger, but I knew most of his work was part of one labeled series so,
Ah, interesting, because I was less interested in Dodger. I think it was because Ankh-Morpork in the Discworld books is so closely based on a version of historical London, that I found it... unsettling(?) that the two were so similar, but not the same - I kept expecting a Discworld character to appear.

I found it a bit too disconcerting, but that is probably just my issues about order & change getting in the way!
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:23 PM   #53
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Ah, interesting, because I was less interested in Dodger. I think it was because Ankh-Morpork in the Discworld books is so closely based on a version of historical London, that I found it... unsettling(?) that the two were so similar, but not the same - I kept expecting a Discworld character to appear.

I found it a bit too disconcerting, but that is probably just my issues about order & change getting in the way!
ah, ok, i see...

hm, could be, or perhaps it felt like you we're reading a not as good version, like watching a remake of a film you really like only to find it not as good as the original, but so close to the oringinal that it feels like it could haeve been salvaged? if you know what im trying to say,
idk. im rambling

Old April 1st, 2019, 04:29 PM   #54
Confused_panda

Quote:
ah, ok, i see...

hm, could be, or perhaps it felt like you we're reading a not as good version, like watching a remake of a film you really like only to find it not as good as the original, but so close to the oringinal that it feels like it could haeve been salvaged? if you know what im trying to say,
idk. im rambling
No, I know what you mean. The story was good and I thought it had the usual humour and everything, but it was just... unsettling. I never relaxed into it like I have all his others.

Maybe I should re-read it sometime and give it another go.
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:32 PM   #55
Confused_panda

Quote:

Oh, The Truth is also good and sort of stand-alone. It introduces the city's first newspaper and the characters then make cameos in pretty much all the later books
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:38 PM   #56
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

Quote:
No, I know what you mean. The story was good and I thought it had the usual humour and everything, but it was just... unsettling. I never relaxed into it like I have all his others.

Maybe I should re-read it sometime and give it another go.
hm, ok.

perhaps.

Quote:
Oh, The Truth is also good and sort of stand-alone. It introduces the city's first newspaper and the characters then make cameos in pretty much all the later books
huh, ok, interesting, I'll check it out along with the others.