Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 26th, 2019, 03:23 PM   #21
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: when are you gonna shut this website down?

If it is going to die let it die going in peace
and not shooting it down putting it out of its
misery.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 03:38 PM   #22
Leprous
Mass Hysteria

Leprous's Forum Picture

I should make another thread shitting on VT staff

Crown The Monster In The End
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #23
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I kind of like the style of forums. I used reddit a lot so this has a similar feel.
A little live chat room on the website would be nice where guests and members can chat without having to post. I feel like it would welcome people more.
We did have one but it was hardly used apart from a few days, expensive and it used Java which isn't supported these days, and there wasn't a replacement we could find that had all the functionality we needed/wanted.

And let's enjoy what we've got. I'm hopeful that we can get things back to the way they were, or at least the way they should be. But that's out of my hands.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected] ē PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:23 AM   #24
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprous View Post
And what would that accomplish?
We all know the admin and owner have abandoned the site (although someone said they had recent contact with the owner) and the remaining mods are doing what they can.

Btw, did you apply for the position of moderator when it was posted several months ago? I'm sure when the owner makes an appearance, you could let him know of your interest.
Zika is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 09:58 PM   #25
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
That accomplished nothing except helping this place become a toxic environment. Which is what it is not. Itís a good place, with good volunteer mods. Make this place what you will make of it

Personally, Iíll be very sad to see it go if it ever does, Iíve done a lot of growing up in this place, made a lot of good friends. Some I lost contact with, some not, but friends till the same

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 05:17 PM   #26
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Shutting this site down would actually require the admins to do something...
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 11:59 AM   #27
Croconaw
Water Type

Croconaw's Forum Picture

There really isn’t a point in shutting it down. Many people benefit from this site.

ē Los Angeles Kings Fan ē Los Angeles Dodgers Fan ē
ē Proud Liberal Democrat ē Pro-Choice ē
Croconaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #28
Leprous
Mass Hysteria

Leprous's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
We all know the admin and owner have abandoned the site (although someone said they had recent contact with the owner) and the remaining mods are doing what they can.

Btw, did you apply for the position of moderator when it was posted several months ago? I'm sure when the owner makes an appearance, you could let him know of your interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
That accomplished nothing except helping this place become a toxic environment. Which is what it is not. Itís a good place, with good volunteer mods. Make this place what you will make of it

Personally, Iíll be very sad to see it go if it ever does, Iíve done a lot of growing up in this place, made a lot of good friends. Some I lost contact with, some not, but friends till the same

Firstly I was not being serious but considering I was taken serious here goes my public statement, as always like share & subscribe for the fans.

I have written a few essays on here about why VT staff is failing and both times (once the credit goes fully to Plasmaham, who started the initial discussion), who actually brought forward a public statement from an admin, promising evolution and improvement in both the way certain situations are handled, and the general activity of the staff. In the end these turned out to be empty promises and nothing else. Let us look further in debt in the reason these posts were made, and if they were useful!

Why?

Simple, really. The reason these were made by myself and others is not hard to follow. All of us were or still are people who care deeply about this very website, and have been here for an extensive amount of time. This also means that we have seen this forum go from a relatively active website to a wasteland were users are unable to register. I believe things like this should be spoken out against, because if you don't staff might not even notice things are wrong and will not take action. Speaking out against something that is wrong on a forum is not bad, and I personally do not see why my statement (although blunt) caused a reaction from the two of you like the one that was provided, as it has in the past been clear that bringing attention to the staff's lack of activity and sometimes competence was needed.

I have noticed a lot of people carry the mindset that staff are saints and should be protected at all costs, and that criticising them is wrong. I have back when I was active spoken out against staff multiple times on the topic of catfishes and pedophiles, which often times got ignored. Are these not valid concerns that should be brought up? In the feedback threads you can see that they are mentioned at times, as in the end it is a part of the reason VT is in the state it is in now. Everyone should be allowed to question the VT staff, even when the critisism could be considered "toxic".

In short: these threads do have a point and should not be shut down just like that. I understand that not everyone can handle critisism well, but realize that there is a reason staff are openly questioned.

Onto the next!

Were they useful?

In the short run yes, in the long run no.

In the short run it caused a slight increase in staff activity, and although brief did bring change in the general feel of the forums and the attitude staff had. For a brief moment they were more open to the regular VT members, and showed more care.

We all know how it went in the long run, so this is a short point.

@Just JT
@Zika

I would love your opinions on this, as this is a direct response to your response to my response (!!!!!!).

Also to get back to Zika's question, I have not for various real life reasons which I am willing to get into should you feel like I need to justify myself when saying why I, a 20 year old college student did not apply for a staff position on a teen forum.

Crown The Monster In The End
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 03:31 PM   #29
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Quote:
I would love your opinions on this, as this is a direct response to your response to my response (!!!!!!).

Of course, the staff members aren't saints. I suppose, if some users criticizes Mod, they may have good reasons to do so. Even if it may be very personal ones. But sooner or later staffies will outgrow the forum and have little time for their duties as mods.

And imo in the current situation, there are more pressing issues than thinking about mods. And not even the pedophiles, trolls and fakes are an urgent problem. They can currently be filtered out well anyway, since no new members can join the forum.

The real and most important problem are the admins, respectively their lack of their online presence, to ensure the continuity of the forum. Users can discuss as much as they like, but to me it's a topic where they and the staff are actually just spinning in circles.

I suppose VT will be history in at least four years. Even if it continues to be somehow present on the net. it's predictable that even the currently very active users of the forum, will have little or no time being regular active then and I guess their interest on that will slightly vanish. But at least, the good thing is, any discussion about older users will become obsolete then. And this goes for pedophiles too. And the Puberty 101 section will be a desert.

Therefore, I consider any various discussion in new threads on this topic as a waste of time.

Oh damn, seems I drifted bit away in responding to your post. Sorry!

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #30
pauly
Nice Poster

pauly's Forum Picture

Name: paul

I would like to know what exactly is needed to keep the site open? I'm not talking about getting more members onto VT, which is certainly needed, but the technical side of whether or not it continues.

In other words, does it need maintenance? What kind of maintenance? Is there a cost involved? Importantly, if the site goes down, is there anyone currently responsibility for fixing it?

Meanwhile all we members can do is to continue visiting, posting, making friends etc, not knowing if VT will continue. From what I read in this thread, it seems to be on a knife edge.

So it would be good to hear from someone in authority to reassure us on all these questions.
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #31
AshleighB
Awesome Poster

AshleighB's Forum Picture

Name: Ashleigh

It’s a shame that nobody else can join, I still think it’s a good site though chatting with different people and meeting others from other countries had alsi been good, would be a shame if it had to shut down

Iím not clumsy its just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way
AshleighB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 02:15 PM   #32
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleighB View Post
Itís a shame that nobody else can join, I still think itís a good site though chatting with different people and meeting others from other countries had alsi been good, would be a shame if it had to shut down
I agree and the more time newbies r not let
into the group many will stay away completely.
I guess there is no one to determine who is legit
or not so to b safe no one is being let in.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #33
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8er View Post
I agree and the more time newbies r not let
into the group many will stay away completely.
I guess there is no one to determine who is legit
or not so to b safe no one is being let in.
That isn't the case. No one is being let in because of the email issues. If people could join it's our job to determine who's legit and who isn't. In a lot of cases it's pretty obvious based on their first few posts and their profile info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly View Post
I would like to know what exactly is needed to keep the site open? I'm not talking about getting more members onto VT, which is certainly needed, but the technical side of whether or not it continues.

In other words, does it need maintenance? What kind of maintenance? Is there a cost involved? Importantly, if the site goes down, is there anyone currently responsibility for fixing it?
The maintenance required is the email issues. That's what's stopping new members from joining. In fact, I can see that 8 new users tried to register today alone. There still is a want and need for VT. The only cost involved in running VT is for the hosting, and Mike is responsible for that. Val and he would also be the ones currently who have the ability to fix the site /if/ it goes down. Which it shouldn't, all being well. Other than the email issues, the site is fine technically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
But sooner or later staffies will outgrow the forum and have little time for their duties as mods.

And imo in the current situation, there are more pressing issues than thinking about mods. And not even the pedophiles, trolls and fakes are an urgent problem. They can currently be filtered out well anyway, since no new members can join the forum.

The real and most important problem are the admins, respectively their lack of their online presence, to ensure the continuity of the forum. Users can discuss as much as they like, but to me it's a topic where they and the staff are actually just spinning in circles.

[...]

Therefore, I consider any various discussion in new threads on this topic as a waste of time.
The fact about the staff outgrowing the site is very true - it should be obvious why a 23/24/25 ish year old's priorities aren't exactly VT, and that's why they haven't been active much recently.
Though I don't think discussion on this is a waste of time, it's important for people to be made aware of what's going on.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected] ē PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 07:38 PM   #34
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Though I don't think discussion on this is a waste of time, it's important for people to be made aware of what's going on.
Of course in this thread it isn't.

But I refer more to the practical side of the prob. As long as there is no real contact with the admins, no solution can be made. No matter how much aware users are of the prob. And I guess they really are.

I oberseved a similar development on a other teen forum. The "dramatic" thing in this case was that it was actually quite dead, but suddenly became very active again. As a kind of new community arised, and the remaining mod stated he was willing to take over the forum as an admin, the forum crashed and since then it's no longer accessible. It's probably just a small error in a script or such the admin would have to fix.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 05:26 AM   #35
pauly
Nice Poster

pauly's Forum Picture

Thanks George.

You have reassured me a lot. So let's all carry on contributing and enjoying the friendships we can make here.
Old November 13th, 2019, 02:11 AM   #36
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen

As a long time member of vt and someone who has spent a lot of time posting and staffing here many years ago, it's sad to see things have reached this point. I think there are a number of contributing factors to why things are the way they are though.

- When Admins are not active, it's often the beginning of the end. This site was originally a branch of the Govteen network. Govteen died quite sometime ago now and that began with a lack of Administration. So there is a precedent set for that. Lets hope that will not be the case here. As someone who was once a staff member, there is only so much that mods and global mods can do without an admin being active. So being critical of them over the overall issues vt are facing are probably unfair.

- As @Croconaw said in an earlier post, forum sites no longer generate the traffic they used to. Social media platforms now dominate the discussion that would once be found here.

- Someone has to pay the bills. Right now Mike pays the bills as far as I know and only two other people before him over 15 years has paid for the site. So that deserves some credit. But this is one area where closing the site is something that I can understand. Someone has to do it, and if the site is reaching a point where it financially doesn't justify existence, then it's hard to argue that.

I really hope the site survives and someone with the time and energy to administrate it, is given the opportunity to do so. My advice to everyone who still logs in is to keep doing so, keep posting and keep making friends. If the site is going to die after 15yrs, then it is what it is. But in the meantime keep enjoying the site. I love this place, I've made many friends over the years and 2 of them I'm still in semi regular contact with, one of those I've met in person and been friends with for 11yrs. So I have a huge heart for this place and will be very sad and sorry if it goes. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #37
pauly
Nice Poster

pauly's Forum Picture

Thanks for your information, Gumleaf.

And I totally agree with your opinions. The poor membership of VT CAN be reversed, but it's largely up to us to spread the word. So let's do it!

We could also write to our "friends" who haven't posted in the forum or by private messaging for a while, reminding them we're still here and would like to see them back here again.
Old November 14th, 2019, 12:26 PM   #38
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Spooky Eli.

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
That accomplished nothing except helping this place become a toxic environment. Which is what it is not. It’s a good place, with good volunteer mods. Make this place what you will make of it
A good place-sure, one that harbors pedos and chuck's.
Quote:
No, i think piss is called for now, galons of it, from every real member worth their salt.
P.s, gtk log are still aping Death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post

Mars n crew have been shitting the bed for far longer than the adimin departure and you know it deep down, because you've seen me, and so have i. Countless fakes ignored because of a preoccupation with keeping p101 in seperate genders and policing flame wars.

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight yearsóif it ever did endóbegan, so far as I
know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with
rain. - Stephen King

Last edited by RattleHead; November 14th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 05:50 PM   #39
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I get what you are saying/implying but....VT is what you make it. Members can block members they are uncomfortable with, report inappropriate activity (not that does much) just saying.
So yeah there are people here who prolly shouldnít, they should just whatever and let kids be kids....
But thatís also not only unrealistic here but in real life as well, sick people are everywhere in our world.
Not only here but in our schools, church, neighborhood friends and family
So letís not blame VT for everything, but I do agree thereís more that can be done right now to protect members etc

That being said, I stand my ground, yeah this is a good place, (and Iíll add) for the intended users, and the intended age group it is intended for

I e said before and Iíll say again, personally, Iíve done a lot of growing up here as well as helped a lot guys grow up and come to terms with a lot of shit in their lives

Iíve talked friends through suicide, relationship issues, running away, domestic abuse, not to mention a variety of sexuality/coming into issues, including rape, getting friends to do the right thing, support them when they are down, not sure what to do.

Iíve been there, it sucks, bad, but was good to know this place was there at a time I was in need.

Granted more activity, but still, just saying is all.....

This place is (was) great, not saying kids should open up into their living rooms but there is a lot of room for living here given the right environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
Y
A good place-sure, one that harbors pedos and chuck's.

No, i think piss is called for now, galons of it, from every real member worth their salt.
P.s, gtk log are still aping Death.

Mars n crew have been shitting the bed for far longer than the adimin departure and you know it deep down, because you've seen me, and so have i. Countless fakes ignored because of a preoccupation with keeping p101 in seperate genders and policing flame wars.

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote