Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 14th, 2018, 10:34 PM   #1
hayley2003
Member++

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley
Default Alex Strangelove. movie about sexuality

we started watching the movie not knowing what it was about. i just thought it was love story between a geeky guy and his gf. it turns out the guy is not too sure about things when he meets a guy that he likes better than his gf.

its a romantic comedy, so its not super serious or preachy.

what really cool is they talk like real kids, they cuss using real cuss words and they use real world raunchy sex terms just like kids at school or some guys on VT.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 12:54 AM   #2
Naters2000
Junior Member+

Name: Nate
Default Re: Alex Strangelove. movie about sexuality

Ooh this is awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Hiya everyone! Im Nate, 14, I play classical clarinet, love hiking, and spending time with my incredible friends! Also Im gay so thats cool I guess. Feel free to message me!
Naters2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #3
max02
Member++

max02's Forum Picture

Name: Max

This looks boring and cliche.

Call Me By Your Name was pretty good.
max02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Oo i saw this on Netflix the other day. Not bad, and I wouldn’t really call it cliche I wanna watch Saturday Church next

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM   #5
plasmaspirit
Member+

Name: J.

How does this compare to Love Simon in terms of sexuality (yes I know the character is straight /bi confused unlike the other where he kinda knew already but does it confront subjects in an unusually way like that movie did)? I swear the movie gets unfairly criticised because the guy is played by Nick Robinson (one of the most generic straight guys ever) and the fact that the actor plays it is straight (I mean gee actors don't play roles so similar to themselves how weird). But I guess these people miss the point or are tumblrinas. One of the messages i got was you don't have to be flamboyant and have this generic stereotypical gay character to be gay. It comes in all shapes and sizes. I mean one scene in the points it out when the Ethan character comes out in contrast with how Simon was feeling.

I kill the threads I post in and if you PM I probably never stop replying *imagine witty signature here*
16 Male Bisexual. PM VM or talk to me just be nice!

............Took a break for my health..........
Still battling anxiety and depression

Last edited by plasmaspirit; June 16th, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Clarify my point.
plasmaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 12:08 PM   #6
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaspirit View Post
How does this compare to Love Simon in terms of sexuality (yes I know the character is straight /bi confused unlike the other where he kinda knew already but does it confront subjects in an unusually way like that movie did)? I swear the movie gets unfairly criticised because the guy is played by Nick Robinson (one of the most generic straight guys ever) and the fact that the actor plays it is straight (I mean gee actors don't play roles so similar to themselves how weird). But I guess these people miss the point or are tumblrinas. One of the messages i got was you don't have to be flamboyant and have this generic stereotypical gay character to be gay. It comes in all shapes and sizes. I mean one scene in the points it out when the Ethan character comes out in contrast with how Simon was feeling.
My major issue with that film was that it was too self-hating. hell, one of the first gags of the film is him having a daydream of being at a majorly musical, flamboyant college and then ending the dream with 'well, maybe not THAT gay.' It's so clearly written from an outside perspective, treating Simon's gayness as a disease he can't get rid of and making him a major selfish asshole who forced 'Blue' to come out publically as opposed to in his own time, the very same thing Simon got so pissed about happening to himself literally 30 mins beforehand. It paints this image as the only legitimate gay guys who end up happy are the straighter-acting, middle class white guys (bar the love interest to be fair) since Ethan ends up sad, alone and bullied whilst everyone loves Simon immediately.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:56 PM   #7
plasmaspirit
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
My major issue with that film was that it was too self-hating. hell, one of the first gags of the film is him having a daydream of being at a majorly musical, flamboyant college and then ending the dream with 'well, maybe not THAT gay.' It's so clearly written from an outside perspective, treating Simon's gayness as a disease he can't get rid of and making him a major selfish asshole who forced 'Blue' to come out publically as opposed to in his own time, the very same thing Simon got so pissed about happening to himself literally 30 mins beforehand. It paints this image as the only legitimate gay guys who end up happy are the straighter-acting, middle class white guys (bar the love interest to be fair) since Ethan ends up sad, alone and bullied whilst everyone loves Simon immediately.

These are very good points though. To be honest, I didn't notice this much since I was focused on the fact that they didn't have an obviously flamboyant choice of a character for the gay guy. I am aware this was not a choice but rather an effect of the fact that story was written by a straight person.

I didn't think he was self hating as a whole though. Naturally, because of his dad he felt it was a disease because he felt only his sister understood and was an LGTB ally. I could relate to this because my parents are the same as the dad, not outright against LGBT but the amount of snide comments whenever those topics are mentioned makes me deathly afraid of coming out as even bisexual (also given that I have a lot to lose if I do).

But the musical and how to dress like a gay guy part bothered me. That part was condescending but judging from context which was what I was going for, I think it was just to show the contrast between what people expect gay culture to be and again emphasises that you really don't have to do this to be gay.

Wasn't blue coming out via the whole carnival scene a choice. Plus, I think Simon assumed since he came out to his dad coming out publicly was the next step. But yeah again I agree it was kinda selfish.

The whole Ethan part was sketchy, I feel like after seeing how bad outing somebody when they are not ready changed the whole dynamic of the school to sympathise with Simon more and consequently Ethan more. I mean the scene right after that was Simon apologising to Ethan about being targeted more because of him right. Plus, we didn't really get to see if both Simon and Ethan were treated differently after Buster Bluth suspended the bullies. We just saw Ethan showing solidarity on the carnival so lets not bring the whole race and POC not being able to succeed as an out gay person into this picture. Plus, even you admitted the POC love interest seemed to be treated better than Ethan. In fact, my only comment about this looking at it at the moment is the being feminine seems to be the only thing preventing a gay person to be successful in the eyes of straight jocks if thats the case.

Going back to the topic this is why I wanted to know if Alex Strangelove explores this fact about sexuality as well. The trailer focused more on wanting to have sex with everyone and not really on dealing with gender roles and sexuality.

I kill the threads I post in and if you PM I probably never stop replying *imagine witty signature here*

Old June 18th, 2018, 02:22 PM   #8
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Quote:
These are very good points though. To be honest, I didn't notice this much since I was focused on the fact that they didn't have an obviously flamboyant choice of a character for the gay guy. I am aware this was not a choice but rather an effect of the fact that story was written by a straight person.

I didn't think he was self hating as a whole though. Naturally, because of his dad he felt it was a disease because he felt only his sister understood and was an LGTB ally. I could relate to this because my parents are the same as the dad, not outright against LGBT but the amount of snide comments whenever those topics are mentioned makes me deathly afraid of coming out as even bisexual (also given that I have a lot to lose if I do).

But the musical and how to dress like a gay guy part bothered me. That part was condescending but judging from context which was what I was going for, I think it was just to show the contrast between what people expect gay culture to be and again emphasises that you really don't have to do this to be gay.

Wasn't blue coming out via the whole carnival scene a choice. Plus, I think Simon assumed since he came out to his dad coming out publicly was the next step. But yeah again I agree it was kinda selfish.

The whole Ethan part was sketchy, I feel like after seeing how bad outing somebody when they are not ready changed the whole dynamic of the school to sympathise with Simon more and consequently Ethan more. I mean the scene right after that was Simon apologising to Ethan about being targeted more because of him right. Plus, we didn't really get to see if both Simon and Ethan were treated differently after Buster Bluth suspended the bullies. We just saw Ethan showing solidarity on the carnival so lets not bring the whole race and POC not being able to succeed as an out gay person into this picture. Plus, even you admitted the POC love interest seemed to be treated better than Ethan. In fact, my only comment about this looking at it at the moment is the being feminine seems to be the only thing preventing a gay person to be successful in the eyes of straight jocks if thats the case.

Going back to the topic this is why I wanted to know if Alex Strangelove explores this fact about sexuality as well. The trailer focused more on wanting to have sex with everyone and not really on dealing with gender roles and sexuality.
Also very good points.

I'm sort of eager to see how Alex Strangelove turns out because it seems such a refreshing take on the whole LGBT cinema phenomenon. Far too many films focus on making the protagonists out and proud gay icons that everyone can look at and too feel it's ok to be who they are which is awesome. But Alex Strangelove courts that equally important demographic of subdued LGBT people who just wanna live their lives and love who they love. Alex doesn't wanna change the world, he doesn;t wanna break his girlfriend's heart, he's just living his life as authentically as possible and maybe loving a guy along the way. It helps normalise bisexuality beyond the casual stereotypes of kinky party antics and blatant cheaters (unlike Elio in Call Me By Your Name), allowing the audience to see it as just loving who you wanna love.
Old June 19th, 2018, 12:41 AM   #9
plasmaspirit
Member+

Quote:
Also very good points.

I'm sort of eager to see how Alex Strangelove turns out because it seems such a refreshing take on the whole LGBT cinema phenomenon. Far too many films focus on making the protagonists out and proud gay icons that everyone can look at and too feel it's ok to be who they are which is awesome. But Alex Strangelove courts that equally important demographic of subdued LGBT people who just wanna live their lives and love who they love. Alex doesn't wanna change the world, he doesn;t wanna break his girlfriend's heart, he's just living his life as authentically as possible and maybe loving a guy along the way. It helps normalise bisexuality beyond the casual stereotypes of kinky party antics and blatant cheaters (unlike Elio in Call Me By Your Name), allowing the audience to see it as just loving who you wanna love.
I don't want to talk or bring anything about CMBYN because in terms of an authentic gay experience being written by a straight person ( a man this time), I feel like the whole premise of seeing gay representation is more muddled than Love Simon. However, as I have criticised earlier I do not like slamming something because the actor writer etc are not what their works of art portray. CMBYN for was a love story with an awkward that just happened to be about gay people. Homosexuality was just a secondary component that seemed to get brought up as a plot device.

I do agree that this view on sexuality is what makes Alex Strangelove very important. As a closeted bisexual myself I really need such resources to know how it is to live an authentic life and acknowledging sexuality after being told many times directly or indirectly about labels and which labels are good bad etc.

I do hope the movie doesn't completely demonise labels because in my opinion labels are good and have a purpose. Their context on the other hand...

Old June 19th, 2018, 04:09 PM   #10
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I don't want to talk or bring anything about CMBYN because in terms of an authentic gay experience being written by a straight person ( a man this time), I feel like the whole premise of seeing gay representation is more muddled than Love Simon. However, as I have criticised earlier I do not like slamming something because the actor writer etc are not what their works of art portray. CMBYN for was a love story with an awkward that just happened to be about gay people. Homosexuality was just a secondary component that seemed to get brought up as a plot device.
My opposition to CMBYN isn't that it was written by a straight guy: the romance element is really cute and authentic and I do like it, it's just that it also has questionable components to the plot such as a slightly uncomfortable age gap between protagonists and the pushing of the idea that they're both definitely gay despite them both having genuine and meaningful relationships with women as well (though we may be able to push the blame onto the marketing of the movie). The film was a pretty great film as a film but it had certain issues of its own.
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:26 PM   #11
plasmaspirit
Member+

Quote:
My opposition to CMBYN isn't that it was written by a straight guy: the romance element is really cute and authentic and I do like it, it's just that it also has questionable components to the plot such as a slightly uncomfortable age gap between protagonists and the pushing of the idea that they're both definitely gay despite them both having genuine and meaningful relationships with women as well (though we may be able to push the blame onto the marketing of the movie). The film was a pretty great film as a film but it had certain issues of its own.
Exactly, this! The age gap I'm not too sure (Armie Hammer just looks old for me bu the age gap is like 4 years in reality.) That is why i just treat that movie as a love story of two people who happen to like men. Bisexuality wasn't really erased then and it wasn't fleshed out or given an opportunity to be considered (the discussion with the dad was a true lost opportunity). It was presented so poorly since the writer wasn't a member of the community nor did he seem to immerse himself aside from some probable cursory research.

For me its really hard to judge about non members of the community writing stories about it. I'm not really comfortable with the fact that you should only write things about what you know and what you are its just so restrictive and for me is a negative side effect of an overly PC culture. CMBYN wasn't really problematic. It just wasn't a good representation or an educational experience for struggling members of the community.

Old June 20th, 2018, 08:30 AM   #12
azurzg
Nice Poster

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

I liked "Call me by my name" very much!

"Alex Strangelove" I found was very long (mediocre acting, poor cinematography, clich script).

"Love Simon" I look forward to watching...
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #13
plasmaspirit
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurzg View Post
I liked "Call me by my name" very much!

"Alex Strangelove" I found was very long (mediocre acting, poor cinematography, clich script).

"Love Simon" I look forward to watching...
Go watch Love Simon. I watched it 2x!

Can you elaborate on Alex Strangelove? the trailer sounded exhausting in a tumblr way but hey if it opens door to sexual fluidity I'm game to watch it which is why I'm interested in the first place.

Old June 20th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #14
azurzg
Nice Poster

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

Quote:
Can you elaborate on Alex Strangelove? the trailer sounded exhausting in a tumblr way but hey if it opens door to sexual fluidity I'm game to watch it which is why I'm interested in the first place.
The theme is great and this *should* have been a great film.

But the quality is just below what you'd expect in a decent film.
Dialogue is a big boring, visuals are mediocre, issues with light and filming angles. All in all, not a A-list film, closer to an amateur production.
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:02 AM   #15
plasmaspirit
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurzg View Post
The theme is great and this *should* have been a great film.

But the quality is just below what you'd expect in a decent film.
Dialogue is a big boring, visuals are mediocre, issues with light and filming angles. All in all, not a A-list film, closer to an amateur production.
Oh I'm think fresh out of film school realness now.. okay I will set expectation to that level.

Anyway, Love Simon is not that. though if you read our discussion above those are the only weak links of the movie.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:31 PM   #16
hayley2003
Member++

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley

i guess things have come a long way when decent a pro-gay coming out movie is bashed by the gay community as not being gay\bi enough.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote