Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 142 13.61%
Atheism 312 29.91%
Buddhism 13 1.25%
Christianity (Please Specify) 415 39.79%
Hinduism 9 0.86%
Islam 33 3.16%
Judaism 17 1.63%
Wicca 17 1.63%
Other (Please Specify) 85 8.15%
Voters: 1043. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:12 PM   #3521
lliam
Awesome Poster
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Faith and religion isn't the same thing religion is believing in a supernatural being that created the universe and/or humans without any evidence. Faith is having confidence or trust in a person or thing. .

sorry, can't agree with that.

Faith is the base of every religion. Religion is what it is so called an extended belief, e.g. if personal beliefing extends to a common faith and it is marked with all the attributes of a social life of an society.

And as I've written above, it's really irrelevant whether a the center of an extended belief/religion is a being like God or any non-personal ideals.


If the core of faith (whether it's personal or expanded to an religion) gets an elevation in the lifes and experiences of it's believers ... means if it's more worth than the fate of any individual believers

... than any kind of idealism occupies the position of a religion.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:55 PM   #3522
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
sorry, can't agree with that.

Faith is the base of every religion. Religion is what it is so called an extended belief, e.g. if personal beliefing extends to a common faith and it is marked with all the attributes of a social life of an society.

And as I've written above, it's really irrelevant whether a the center of an extended belief/religion is a being like God or any non-personal ideals.


If the core of faith (whether it's personal or expanded to an religion) gets an elevation in the lifes and experiences of it's believers ... means if it's more worth than the fate of any individual believers

... than any kind of idealism occupies the position of a religion.
Your right when you say faith is the base of every religion cuz there is no evidence that it's true, like you the only way you can believe the bible is true is with faith. You can't have religion with out faith but you can have faith with out religion. Like I said faith is having confidence or trust in a person or thing. Thing can be religion or god but it can be anything else like democracy or communism those 2 last examples are things that someone can have faith in it but they aren't religions they are ideas. Atheism is neither a religion or base on faith. Atheist don't believe in any religion because of a lack of evidence. Like Atheist don't have faith in the bible because there is no evidence it's true and there is alot of evidence it's not true. They don't just believe there is no God they look at the evidence and conclude that there is no God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:26 PM   #3523
lliam
Awesome Poster
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Religion

Something you can only believe, is faith. If faith unites people into a community, it's called religion.

And ideas, regardless of their content they have, are the basis for any kind of faith.

I'm just an atheist, but I think, as atheism is sometimes lived, that's nothing more than religion. The fundamental somebody defends his ideas, the more intense is his faith. So here an idea elevates to faith. And in a community it is religion.

e.g. if you don't see the principle, you can't say that Buddhism is a religion. Although Buddhism is very transcendent and stuff, it is a religion that originally knows no deity.
Buddha isn't God or any kind of it.

But we shouldn't go around in circles. Perhaps we can agree, that what I call religion, e.g. atheism, works under certain conditions similar to a religion, according to your definition of religion.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 10:05 PM   #3524
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
Something you can only believe, is faith. If faith unites people into a community, it's called religion.

And ideas, regardless of their content they have, are the basis for any kind of faith.

I'm just an atheist, but I think, as atheism is sometimes lived, that's nothing more than religion. The fundamental somebody defends his ideas, the more intense is his faith. So here an idea elevates to faith. And in a community it is religion.

e.g. if you don't see the principle, you can't say that Buddhism is a religion. Although Buddhism is very transcendent and stuff, it is a religion that originally knows no deity.
Buddha isn't God or any kind of it.

But we shouldn't go around in circles. Perhaps we can agree, that what I call religion, e.g. atheism, works under certain conditions similar to a religion, according to your definition of religion.
Buddhist believe that when you die you come back as an animal it's kinda a religion. Buddha more like a prophet like Jesus or Muhammad. Satanism is a religion but Satan isn't a god according to the bible hes an angel.

In my definition of religion i said it's the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Atheist don't believe in any god due to a lack of evidence. Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM   #3525
lliam
Awesome Poster
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Religion

[sigh] I see, we can't agree on any level. You are too fixated on these supernatural beings.

But please don't call gods superhuman. They are far from to be somehow (super)human in any kind. Only our limited mind gives'em human form or human like character traits or such.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3526
Gwen
Awesome Poster
 
Gwen's Forum Picture
 
Name: Gwen
Join Date: December 12, 2012
Location: In Your Dreams
Gender: Transgender MtF*
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Buddhist believe that when you die you come back as an animal it's kinda a religion. Buddha more like a prophet like Jesus or Muhammad. Satanism is a religion but Satan isn't a god according to the bible hes an angel.

In my definition of religion i said it's the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Atheist don't believe in any god due to a lack of evidence. Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.
Atheism is not a religion, it is literally a lack of religion. Satanism is a religious philosophy. Buddha means 'One who is awake', anyone can be Buddha. Siddhartha was awaken and he gained the title Buddha, in a sense anyone can become Buddha and titles cannot be prophets. Please do not try and twist things.


"As the saying goes: Where there are mountains, there are Canadians." - Tyson
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3527
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
[sigh] I see, we can't agree on any level. You are too fixated on these supernatural beings.

But please don't call gods superhuman. They are far from to be somehow (super)human in any kind. Only our limited mind gives'em human form or human like character traits or such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
Atheism is not a religion, it is literally a lack of religion. Satanism is a religious philosophy. Buddha means 'One who is awake', anyone can be Buddha. Siddhartha was awaken and he gained the title Buddha, in a sense anyone can become Buddha and titles cannot be prophets. Please do not try and twist things.
@lliam Every religion says God created man in his own image so superhuman is a correct term.

@Complicated Thank you for clearing that up on Buddah saves me to read Wikipedia Satanist worship the devil so yes it is a religion. Im the one who is saying Atheism isn't a religion it's @lliam who is saying it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:12 PM   #3528
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
 
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cato
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
@lliam Every religion says God created man in his own image so superhuman is a correct term.
No intelligent rendering of religion goes along with this reading. The "form" of God in man is that which makes man distinct from animals, i.e. godliness or intellect.

No classical religion, not Judaism, not Christianity, and not Islam, consider God to be in any way comparable to any of his creations.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3529
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
No intelligent rendering of religion goes along with this reading. The "form" of God in man is that which makes man distinct from animals, i.e. godliness or intellect.

No classical religion, not Judaism, not Christianity, and not Islam, consider God to be in any way comparable to any of his creations.
What are you talking in the book of genesis wish both Christians and Jews believe in it says ''So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM   #3530
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
 
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cato
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
What are you talking in the book of genesis wish both Christians and Jews believe in it says ''So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.''
And I'm telling you how Maimonides and Aquinas (among others) interpret the verse.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:16 PM   #3531
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
And I'm telling you how Maimonides and Aquinas (among others) interpret the verse.
What is it to interpret other then God created men base on what he look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:22 PM   #3532
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
 
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cato
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
What is it to interpret other then God created men base on what he look like?
That's an absurd reading and inconsistent on just about every philosophical level.

The Form of God is what makes man into man, as opposed to an animal. The form of God does not mean "of the same nature/appearance of God". It refers to the Godliness in man, which is his soul.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3533
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
The Form of God is what makes man into man, as opposed to an animal. The form of God does not mean "of the same nature/appearance of God". It refers to the Godliness in man, which is his soul.
That I agree with cuz like God, the soul most likely doesn't exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:38 PM   #3534
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
 
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cato
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
That I agree with cuz like God, the soul most likely doesn't exist
Fun fact. Psychology means study of the soul. Again, in the religious traditions that you know nothing of (yet still insist on commenting on) the soul is equated with the intellect.

Either way, here's Maimonides for you.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:53 PM   #3535
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
Fun fact. Psychology means study of the soul. Again, in the religious traditions that you know nothing of (yet still insist on commenting on) the soul is equated with the intellect.
Wrong Psychology is the study of mind and behavior. Mind and soul aren't the same thing.

How can you know if I know or don't know about what religious traditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:59 PM   #3536
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster
 
Judean Zealot's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cato
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Wrong Psychology is the study of mind and behavior. Mind and soul aren't the same thing.
Psyche is Greek for what?
The soul is the self, period. Once again, you display an abysmal ignorance of classical theology.

Quote:
How can you know if I know or don't know about what religious traditions?
Your ignorance is blatant through the ideas you express. Nobody who has any sort of background in theology would say the nonsense you are saying, in particular this shite:
Quote:
What is it to interpret other then God created men base on what he look like?

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern

Last edited by Judean Zealot; August 1st, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3537
lliam
Awesome Poster
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
@lliam Every religion says God created man in his own image so superhuman is a correct term.

OK. I'm not a Christian, nor do I belong to one of the main religions. Only to this little religion of those believers in nonbelieving.

Superhuman might be the right term, if one is a Christian or a religious scholar or so. I also don't know to use those terms correctly in English. In German, such terms also have a different meaning. Nevertheless, I tend to develop my own definitions whether in German, English or French, etc.

One of which is that everything that exists can't be supernatural. Cause everything must be natural if it exists, even if it isn't necessarily something that corresponds to the human physical realm of experience.

So, if I assume that God and all that is connected with it really exists, I can't claim that God is something supernatural. Therefore God can't be superhuman. It/he is just a being of a higher order or so.

Also the physique of such a being can't be equal to the physique of humans. So, the sentence "God created man in his own image" must be interpreted completely differently.


The probably most appropriate interpretation to me would be this:


"God created man in his imagination."


.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:26 PM   #3538
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Wrong Psychology is the study of mind and behavior. Mind and soul aren't the same thing.

How can you know if I know or don't know about what religious traditions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
Psyche is Greek for what?
The soul is the self, period. Once again, you display an abysmal ignorance of classical theology.
What of this as to do with the soul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Wrong Psychology is the study of mind and behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
Your ignorance is blatant through the ideas you express. Nobody who has any sort of background in theology would say the nonsense you are saying, in particular this shite:
How is this ignorance on the bible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
What is it to interpret other then God created men base on what he look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:34 PM   #3539
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
OK. I'm not a Christian, nor do I belong to one of the main religions. Only to this little religion of those believers in nonbelieving.
What religion are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
Superhuman might be the right term, if one is a Christian or a religious scholar or so. I also don't know to use those terms correctly in English. In German, such terms also have a different meaning. Nevertheless, I tend to develop my own definitions whether in German, English or French, etc.

One of which is that everything that exists can't be supernatural. Cause everything must be natural if it exists, even if it isn't necessarily something that corresponds to the human physical realm of experience.

So, if I assume that God and all that is connected with it really exists, I can't claim that God is something supernatural. Therefore God can't be superhuman. It/he is just a being of a higher order or so.

Also the physique of such a being can't be equal to the physique of humans. So, the sentence "God created man in his own image" must be interpreted completely differently.


The probably most appropriate interpretation to me would be this:


"God created man in his imagination."
That interpretation means we are inside God's head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:37 PM   #3540
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator
 
StoppingTime's Forum Picture
 
Name: Steven
Join Date: July 12, 2011
Location: In Time
Age: 20
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
Atheism is not a religion, it is literally a lack of religion.
So I rarely post around here, but this is an interesting question (to me at least) so I may as well weigh in.

Atheism, at least how it's portrayed for the most part on the internet, seems to be more than a lack of belief in a Supreme or Higher being; it's more of a belief in the lack of belief in said being, if that makes sense. Granted this doesn't apply to all atheists, I'm sure there's plenty who simply don't care either way about religion or a god or what have you - it's just irrelevant to them. But then there are the ones who believe so strongly that there simply can't be such a Being, because of science, or lack of evidence, or an endless amount of other reasons that may or may not have any logical ground. This is when the boundaries of what is and isn't a religion get blurred, at least to me. Sure, they're not following any organized religion or community or belief system, but part of their life is determined because of this belief in, well, nothing. The belief is what makes it more than what "atheist" is usually interpreted to be, true atheism would have to be irreligious (literally without regard to a religion or belief system).
But I'll stop rambling, just wanted to share some thoughts

Mikey was here



Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org