Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Talking Justice Brett Kavanaugh!

Brett Kavanaugh is now confirmed, and sworn in to the Supreme Court!

He will be on on the court as soon as Tuesday this week.

Last edited by Murk; October 7th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 12:58 AM   #2
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Re: Justice Brett Kavanaugh!

I think this quote sums it up pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random VT User View Post
Congratulations America, you once again beat all expectations and made yourself look even worst to the rest of the world. An alleged rapist with a possible drinking problem to the highest court? I hope you retain this kids sexual assault is fine as long as it happened a long time ago and that you love Jesus and are against abortion. Got to give him credit, Trump was right when he said the rest of the world is laughing at you. Once again congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 03:14 AM   #3
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Nice job quoting yourself Matt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
you hit the nail on the head with two key words: alleged possible
In this country we have the strict rule of innocent until proven guilty. And Dr. Ford did not prove him guilty. Her accusations were completely uncorroborated, she couldn't provide any shred of evidence, even the poeple she claims were there said it didn't happen, under penalty of perjury. This was used as a political tool by the left, Dr Ford requested this to be confidential when she submitted the allegations months ago. Feinstein should have requested an FBI investigation then. Instead she kept it secret till the 11th hour for it to be leaked and used to delay the confirmation. This has been a new low for the Senate Dems, and they should be ashamed.

PS. My battery is at 69% lol... And your grammar needs work. No offense

I'll answer anything, and I'm up for a chat. pm me
My Blog
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold, is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Thomas Jefferson
"If you got it flaunt it ;p"-Alex1s
Old October 8th, 2018, 08:21 AM   #4
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Was anyone actually shocked? It didn't matter what was said or how it all played out, we all knew Kavanaugh was gonna be Gorsuch 2.0 from the moment he was nominated. It's just a shame that the entire senatorial process has become so polarised and partisan in a way that neither side can actually trust the other to be reasonable and compromise. I personally disliked Kavanaugh since before he was even accused due to his history of rulings and service in the Bush Administration but Republicans held both the Executive and the Legislative branches and now, with Kavanaugh's confirmation, they hold the Judicial branch too.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Now for issues that affect us.

I’m waiting to see how each state is going to be affected by changes to judicial precedent regards to workplace policy on healthcare plans when clauses covering abortion or even just birth control or necessary time off for feminine health reasons gets affected.

Im glad I graduated, but for those still in K-12 schooling, are the services and advice the nurses office for my young friends going to be of the same quality or are there certain pieces of advice that they will be gag ordered from giving because their threatened with their job or illegally committing a crime by passing on health knowledge and options?

This serious affects VT too, and I hope the mods realize it from a legal perspective.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Now for issues that affect us.

Im waiting to see how each state is going to be affected by changes to judicial precedent regards to workplace policy on healthcare plans when clauses covering abortion or even just birth control or necessary time off for feminine health reasons gets affected.

Im glad I graduated, but for those still in K-12 schooling, are the services and advice the nurses office for my young friends going to be of the same quality or are there certain pieces of advice that they will be gag ordered from giving because their threatened with their job or illegally committing a crime by passing on health knowledge and options?

This serious affects VT too, and I hope the mods realize it from a legal perspective.
Do you even know what the Supreme Court does? Serious question.

My Blog
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold, is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Thomas Jefferson
Old October 8th, 2018, 01:49 PM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Nice job quoting yourself Matt...
I said Random VT user, that quote could be from anyone.

Quote:
In this country we have the strict rule of innocent until proven guilty. And Dr. Ford did not prove him guilty. Her accusations were completely uncorroborated, she couldn't provide any shred of evidence, even the poeple she claims were there said it didn't happen, under penalty of perjury. This was used as a political tool by the left, Dr Ford requested this to be confidential when she submitted the allegations months ago. Feinstein should have requested an FBI investigation then. Instead she kept it secret till the 11th hour for it to be leaked and used to delay the confirmation. This has been a new low for the Senate Dems, and they should be ashamed.
1. It was not a trial, it was a job interview.
2. Only one witness denied it happen, the other people she named didn't say it didn't happen they said they weren't in the room at the time so can't know if it really happened.
3. As soon as her name was published she received threats and had to move out of her home, why would someone put themselves through that for something that is made up?

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I said Random VT user, that quote could be from anyone.

1. It was not a trial, it was a job interview.
2. Only one witness denied it happen, the other people she named didn't say it didn't happen they said they weren't in the room at the time so can't know if it really happened.
3. As soon as her name was published she received threats and had to move out of her home, why would someone put themselves through that for something that is made up?
This is just getting stupid... You quoted yourself, duh. Original post: .../showthread.php?p=3726781

This was not a job interview, this was a process called Advice and Consent, where due process of the law IS required.

#2 is incorrect, but I don't have time to source that right now, I'm busy.
#3 she sent it to WaPo first. Feinstein did not do what she should have done. When it was leaked, and that being the first anyone on the Right found out found out, Senate Republicans offered an opportunity to a private testimony, but Ford's Feinstein-appointed lawyers did not tell her this. Ford says she would have gone that route if she had known.

I believe she may have been assaulted at some point, but there is no valid case to say it was Kavanaugh.
His entire life there have been no allegations, dozens of female co-workers, from throughout his careers, vouch for him.

Anyway, this isn't ROTW, it's the news section. Not a place for debates.

My Blog
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:38 AM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
This is just getting stupid... You quoted yourself, duh. Original post: .../showthread.php?p=3726781
That was a joke.

Quote:
This was not a job interview, this was a process called Advice and Consent, where due process of the law IS required.

#2 is incorrect, but I don't have time to source that right now, I'm busy.
Take your time, prove me wrong.

Quote:
#3 she sent it to WaPo first. Feinstein did not do what she should have done. When it was leaked, and that being the first anyone on the Right found out found out, Senate Republicans offered an opportunity to a private testimony, but Ford's Feinstein-appointed lawyers did not tell her this. Ford says she would have gone that route if she had known.
She wanted an investigation into it which is a fair demand. The Senator could've said something earlier, but whatever she did or didn't do it is nothing to what the others did by trying to justify what Kavanaugh may have done or discredit the accusers before hearing the story

Quote:
I believe she may have been assaulted at some point, but there is no valid case to say it was Kavanaugh.
His entire life there have been no allegations, dozens of female co-workers, from throughout his careers, vouch for him.
Like most people getting accusations.

Quote:
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Do you even know what the Supreme Court does? Serious question.
I do, their job is to interpret the law, and in cases where the issue is gray, they make a ruling and vote on it on a per case by case basis, but their cognitive conclusions are still tainted by the limited biases of human mind and feelings.

I should clarify that the post you quote me at is in a pragmatic context not a literal one based on causation of one or two degrees of separation, but rather an accumulation effect.

I dont believe my original post begged the question you asked about my understanding of the highest court. Why did you ask me that?
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Jinglebottom

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

OP doesn't contain a news link, and since this seems to be turning into another debate, I think it fits better in ROTW.

The VT Daily Chronicle Ramblings of the Wise

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:53 AM   #12
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebottom View Post
OP doesn't contain a news link, and since this seems to be turning into another debate, I think it fits better in ROTW.

The VT Daily Chronicle Ramblings of the Wise
VT chronicle rules requires a news link even for topics as ubiquitous as these types of headlines? Also with European Union members criminalizing the sharing of certain links with copyrighted material (Aka: Article 13) and punishing the posters and website masters, you need to rethink that rule.
Old October 10th, 2018, 06:37 AM   #13
Jinglebottom

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
VT chronicle rules requires a news link even for topics as ubiquitous as these types of headlines? Also with European Union members criminalizing the sharing of certain links with copyrighted material (Aka: Article 13) and punishing the posters and website masters, you need to rethink that rule.
Usually yes, news threads should include links to a news site. Not everyone on this site will be familiar with the story/news you are sharing, we are a diverse community and not all of us keep up with international news. At the very least, you can give some background and context if you choose to post without a link.
I'm not knowledgeable about EU policies and such (being from Asia) so I think this is a discussion to be had with our European staff members.
A lot of these "controversial" news threads end up turning into debates and getting moved to ROTW anyway, so this isn't an uncommon occurrence at all.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote