Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 137 13.70%
Atheism 301 30.10%
Buddhism 12 1.20%
Christianity (Please Specify) 394 39.40%
Hinduism 9 0.90%
Islam 32 3.20%
Judaism 16 1.60%
Wicca 17 1.70%
Other (Please Specify) 82 8.20%
Voters: 1000. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1441
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

For the same reason why many universes could have existed before this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1442
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
God is one possible answer to that question.
But which god or goddess? If one is to say the Christian god may be a scientific answer (in whatever way), it opens the door to all supernatural beings with said power so "god" being one possible answer only means a strong supernatural entity as a possible answer. One cannot rule out which god or goddess it would be. If accepted, this still leads to a question of what brought about that supernatural being? If one postulates that said supernatural being exists forever, that is an unsupported scientific explanation with as much value as saying the supernatural being really came from Ozzy Osbourne or Elvis Presley. In other words, you can claim it was a supernatural being but you cannot ascribe any qualities or characteristics to it because they have no value. Thus, the statement of "some supernatural being whose characteristics and qualities we don't know" isn't a scientific answer nor is it a good answer.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1443
notanorchestra

What I meant was to ask was "what was before the Big Bang?" "What matter was alive, and evolved into life such as ourself?" These questions are both unanswered by either theory. Now, there could be some higher power that created all of this, but I have not found any convincing evidence to act as proof. Even if there is some high power, I have to wonder, what created it?

I recognize that both the theories of evolution and the Big Bang theory explain completely different things, but they are what I see most religous fanatics freak out about, so that is what I am discussing.

"I didn't find God and he didn't come looking for me, but someone showed me Minor Threat and that was plenty good enough for me."
notanorchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1444
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
What I meant was to ask was "what was before the Big Bang?" "What matter was alive, and evolved into life such as ourself?" These questions are both unanswered by either theory. Now, there could be some higher power that created all of this, but I have not found any convincing evidence to act as proof. Even if there is some high power, I have to wonder, what created it?
The First Cause: what made the very first god? The same begins to apply for the Big Bang: the Big Crunch explains there were previous big bangs but leads to the same question as the first cause. A different theory which scientists are favouring is String Theory and M-Theory, so you may want to begin to include those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
I recognize that both the theories of evolution and the Big Bang theory explain completely different things, but they are what I see most religous fanatics freak out about, so that is what I am discussing.
If you know evolutionary theory does not pertain to this discussion at all, then the point you've proven is those religious fanatics don't know what it is they're against. No sense in continuing to use it because it makes you look like you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1445
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

I was wondering why some parents would rather let their kids watch the violent movie, "Passion Of The Christ" at such a young age but not let their kids watch some Friday The 13th movie. I mean, their pretty much the same thing - Extremely violent. Actually, Passion Of The Christ is worse on violence. It's pretty much saying to your kid, "And this is what Jesus did for you! You see all that blood and the nails going in him? YEAH! FOR YOU!"

Care to ramble?

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #1446
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
I was wondering why some parents would rather let their kids watch the violent movie, "Passion Of The Christ" at such a young age but not let their kids watch some Friday The 13th movie. I mean, their pretty much the same thing - Extremely violent. Actually, Passion Of The Christ is worse on violence. It's pretty much saying to your kid, "And this is what Jesus did for you! You see all that blood and the nails going in him? YEAH! FOR YOU!"

Care to ramble?
I watched "Passion of the Christ" recently, I watched Friday The 13th Movie back then. But, I know where you are getting.

But, it is like you are saying "They should not make/show movies based on religion!".

Friday The 13th contains scenes of sexual pervertedness, Strong/violent language and extreme gore(decapitation, disembowelment and mutilation) . Whereas the other does not. There is a significant contrast, my friend.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1447
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly-Dreamer-X View Post
But, it is like you are saying "They should not make/show movies based on religion!".

Friday The 13th contains scenes of sexual pervertedness, Strong/violent language and extreme gore(decapitation, disembowelment and mutilation) . Whereas the other does not. There is a significant contrast, my friend.
IMDB Parents Guide

Jesus is handcuffed to a pole and brutally whipped. He falls, gets up and the soldiers change the whipping weapon from a small rope to a chain-like whip with hooks on the end. The cuts shown are very realistic. Jesus is covered in blood and his blood spurts on the soldiers' faces and on the ground. This scene is very brutal, graphic, and heavy. Mary is given towels to clean up the blood after the whipping is over.

A man hangs himself from a tree.

A crown of thorns is placed on Jesus' head. A soldier pushes the thorns into his head using a stick. The thorns are shown graphically penetrating the skin

Throughout almost the entire movie, Jesus is completely covered in blood and cuts.

A soldier's ear is cut off.

When Jesus is placed on the cross, nails are hammered into his palms and feet. The nails are shown going right through his hands and feet and through the wood. This scene is very graphic and is not for the faint of heart. Much blood is shown.

A man's eyes are pecked at by a crow. Blood is shown.

After Jesus has died, a soldier plunges a spear under his rib to make sure he is dead. A very large amount of blood spurts out.

All violence is extreme and bloody. Do not watch if you have a weak stomach

The scenes of violence are very disturbing, intense and frightening, especially to young children. Brutal to watch.

No, I mean that showing violence in religion shouldn't be the way to convince a child to believe in something. And there is extreme violence in Passion Of The Christ

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1448
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Quote:
No, I mean that showing violence in religion shouldn't be the way to convince a child to believe in something. And there is extreme violence in Passion Of The Christ
Contrast:

A boy is stabbed in the stomach (blood is shown on his mouth and stomach.) A girl, having witnessed this, backs against a wall as the killer chases her and screams as she is presumably killed off-screen.

A girl jumps out of a jeep, injuring her ankle, and limps through a forest. She is then cornered by the killer and her throat is slit with a large hunting knife (blood is shown on her neck.)

While searching for a snake in a cabin, several characters accidentally knock over a bedside table and tear a bed apart until a boy finds the snake and chops it in half with a machete.

A boy's corpse is shown in a bed with a bloody, slit throat. As another boy lies in the bed below, the blood begins to drip onto his forehead when suddenly, the killer grabs him by the head from behind and impales him through the neck with an arrow (we see the tip of the arrow penetrating his neck as blood gushes out of the wound.)

A girl is stabbed in the head with an axe (we see the axe coming down and then see the girl fall to the floor with the axe still in her head surrounded by blood.)

A girl runs into an archery range and we hear her scream off-screen as she is presumably killed.

A man is stabbed in the chest.

A girl and a boy find a bloody axe on a bed.

A girl finds a boy's bloody corpse hanging on a door, impaled and held up by arrows. The girl then runs to a cabin, where another girl's bloody corpse is flung through a glass window.

The girl is later attacked by a woman (who reveals herself to be the killer) with a large knife, who charges at her, but the girl grabs a fireplace poker and hits the woman twice with it, knocking her over onto a couch. The girl then runs out of the cabin, finding a man's bloody corpse with a knife in his chest hanging upside down from a tree and a girl's bloody corpse with a slit throat in a car. The girl goes into a boathouse, where she attempts to load a shotgun with bullets, but the woman suddenly appears and corners the girl against a wall. The girl is then thrown down by the woman, who slaps her in the face four times, but the girl reaches for the shotgun and uses it to hit the woman and knock her across the room. The girl then runs back to the cabin and hides in the kitchen, locking the door behind her. The woman begins violently breaking the door down with a machete and enters the kitchen, slashing the machete wildly at the girl, attempting to stab her with it, but the girl hits the woman over the head with a frying pan, knocking her unconscious (we see some blood coming from her head.) The girl then runs out to a boat to wait for help when suddenly, the woman appears behind her and raises the machete. The girl holds up the boat's oar to defend herself, but the machete breaks it in half. The girl falls out of the boat onto the beach and the woman stabs at the ground, but the girl rolls out of the way. The woman drops the machete and attacks the girl as they struggle on the beach with the woman attempting to strangle the girl and then biting her on the arm. The girl rolls over and the woman begins beating her head against the ground, but the girl bites the woman's arm and escapes. She runs across the beach and picks up the machete, charging at the woman, and decapitates her (we see her bloody head fall off into the water, the bloody stump at the top of her neck, and some blood on the machete.)

As the girl rests in the boat, a boy's decomposing corpse jumps out of the lake and pulls her underwater. We later see her in a hospital, apparently injured, but alive.

Profanity:
Some mild language, such as "shit" and "goddamn", is used infrequently during the film; a few mild profanities, sexual references, and drug references (e.g. "Colombian gold", "hash", "grass", "weed") are used as well.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking
:
Two boys horse around with a policeman while supposedly under the influence of marijuana (they are not shown smoking).

A boy smokes a cigarette in one scene.

Two girls and a boy drink beer and smoke marijuana while playing Strip Monopoly.

==========================================

Yes, I have seen those scenes in the Passion of Christ,(dubbed: Pain of Christ in the Arabic DVD release - only subtitles were present) and they are not of the intensity of the Friday the 13th.
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1449
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
Contrast:

Yes, I have seen those scenes in the Passion of Christ,(dubbed: Pain of Christ in the Arabic DVD release - only subtitles were present) and they are not of the intensity of the Friday the 13th.
Did you not read what I posted? I mean that showing violence in religion shouldn't be the way to convince a child to believe in something. And there is extreme violence in Passion Of The Christ

Nobody listens to anything. Oh, and good job using the same thing I used. That was really a big surprise. I didn't see that one coming from one inch away.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1450
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Quote:
Did you not read what I posted? I mean that showing violence in religion shouldn't be the way to convince a child to believe in something. And there is extreme violence in Passion Of The Christ.
I agree to some extent that this is beyond foolishness. The Shiite minority(usually the twelver) group, and at Husseinia, they are trying to show and depict the same horror that Imam Hussein went through. While majority of Islam is, of course, are dismayed by this act(it is actually an act).

True, violence is not the answer.(You should have worded that way instead), but still, a movie is a movie.

But, if you are saying that they are teaching children using that movie, it is absolutely wrong. And the movies intent were never religious. (Funny - Mel Gibson and his Jew cussing prowess)

Quote:
Oh, and good job using the same thing I used. That was really a big surprise. I didn't see that one coming from one inch away.
You didn't believe in me when I told you there is contrast!
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1451
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
But, if you are saying that they are teaching children using that movie
Yes. That was my point. And I know many parents that have done this with their children and it's completely moronic.

Old June 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1452
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

It seems somewhat disturbing that some people are so eager to believe in a religion which mentions so much violence throughout in it 'holy book' - not just at the time mentioned above.

Quote:
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1453
Apparitions
Nice Poster

Apparitions's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
It seems somewhat disturbing that some people are so eager to believe in a religion which mentions so much violence throughout in it 'holy book' - not just at the time mentioned above.
Yes it is disturbing, isn't it? I can't believe that I used to believe in and defend Christianity. Not my fault, my parentals (well, my mum and my nan) kind of made me like what happened to them when they were kids. I find Christianity more than a little hypocritical with the point you made here.

Apparitions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1454
The Batman
Banned

Name: Thomdam

I find it disturbing how people are so willing to condemn Christianity at every turn only because of what the bible says about them condemning others.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1455
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo View Post
I find it disturbing how people are so willing to condemn Christianity at every turn only because of what the bible says about them condemning others.
I couldn't agree more.
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #1456
Kuervo
Nice Poster

Kuervo's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchi0r View Post
I definately believe in a Creator, Supreme Being, etc. who I think is God. I don't quite believe in Adam and Eve being the first two human beings. I think God didn't create man at first, He first created dinosaurs but wiped them out. Then He helped life along afterwards and when primates came along, He had the idea for humans, so He made evolution happen. I think God made evolution happen because for apes to evolve into humans by mutations and stuff is very unlikely and would take a lot longer than it actually took, IMO.

You are very right, -[[NeverLetGo]]-, I hate wars over religion and lots of Christians believing they're superior to atheists, Jews, Muslims, etc. and being hateful to their fellow man cuz they don't go to Christian church every Sunday. Combining all religions into a loving, accepting, very flexible one we could finally live in peace. Yeah I know, wishful thinking, but in the words of John Lennon "You may say I'm a dreamer/But I'm not the only one/Someday you might join us/And the world will be as one"
the Bible isnt necessarily all true. u have to view it in a contexualist way. its not a history book either.
God started life then evolution took over with all tht crap
I as a Catholic dont believe everything tht the Chruch does is right. there r somethings tht i agree with Muslims, well not the violence part thts very horrible.
btw i like tht quote by john lenon, totally agree
Kuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1457
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo View Post
Quote:
I couldn't agree more.
I also find it disturbing how Christians can't stand it when people say things that are both true and may reflect badly on their beliefs. Besides, why is what the bible says about condeming others not to be condemned in itself? Can anyone really condone all the awful things it says?

Quote:

Old June 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1458
The Batman
Banned

Name: Thomdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I also find it disturbing how Christians can't stand it when people say things that are both true and may reflect badly on their beliefs. Besides, why is what the bible says about condeming others not to be condemned in itself? Can anyone really condone all the awful things it says?
I'm not a Christian and I don't mind people saying things against it but when it gets to the point where more than 50% of their posts are about how horrible Christianity is then it gets to a disturbing level. Just because the bible says horrible things it doesn't give you free range to bash it at every turn. A debate is about disproving the other point while proving yours but all you seem to do is say Christianity is horrible and the God is a ruthless bastard. You don't provide facts, statistics, or even sources most of what you say comes from your opinion or something someone else has posted. Also if you're atheist what's the point in going on a tyrant about a God you don't believe in and stories that never happened?
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #1459
Sage
Banned

Name: Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoe View Post
the Bible isnt necessarily all true. u have to view it in a contexualist way. its not a history book either.
I as a Catholic dont believe everything tht the Chruch does is right. there r somethings tht i agree with Muslims, well not the violence part thts very horrible.
btw i like tht quote by john lenon, totally agree
Just so you're aware, Melchoir's post that you're quoting is from four years ago. For the sake of staying on topic...

Quote:
Why?

Quote:
I as a Catholic dont believe everything tht the Chruch does is right.
There are MANY things the Catholic Church has done throughout history and to the modern day that are despicable. If you don't support those things, why do you associate yourself with them by calling yourself a catholic?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1460
Jenna.
Nice Poster

Jenna.'s Forum Picture

Name: Jenna

I'm Christian, more specifically...Catholic, but my family's pretty much non-practicing.
Jenna. is offline   Reply With Quote