Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 11th, 2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Southern_Cheer

Southern_Cheer's Forum Picture

Name: Anna May
Default Hunting and Fishing

So wondering what is and is not considered a sport on the Forums....so what do you think?

Is hunting and fishing a sport?

As a girl who has gone out and done both I would think they are. Or are they just like an outdoor recreational activity
Southern_Cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Default Re: Hunting and Fishing

Depends. I personally hate anyone who trophy hunts, or does that shit for competition, but I get the appeal of it. I think fishing and hunting is fun, but at the end of the day you have to respect the animal and the life it lived and gave. If youre just hunting for sport and not actually using the animal to eat or skin, youre scum imho.

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend to me
Youre a Russian bear in a sea of tulips.

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #3
BrianH
Junior Member+

BrianH's Forum Picture

Name: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Cheer View Post
So wondering what is and is not considered a sport on the Forums....so what do you think?

Is hunting and fishing a sport?

As a girl who has gone out and done both I would think they are. Or are they just like an outdoor recreational activity

I think it depends on what part of the country / world you are in. Most of thine historically it has been for survival and necessity. Nowadays its more for sport I think. My family eats a lot of the fish we catch. Also a lot of times on our ranch some animals can be a danger to our cattle, so it depends. I think its kind of a sport. But others would probably disagree.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Dmaxd123
Member++

i would absolutely classify them both as a sport.

enjoy both activities, gets me outside and moving, both mentally challenging
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #5
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think it depends on what part of the country / world you are in. Most of thine historically it has been for survival and necessity. Nowadays its more for sport I think. My family eats a lot of the fish we catch. Also a lot of times on our ranch some animals can be a danger to our cattle, so it depends. I think its kind of a sport. But others would probably disagree.
I think it is different though when you are eating them which your family does and are killing them to protect the animals on your ranch. It is not, hey let me kill this coyote for the fun of it, but hey, these are a danger to our very expensive animals (or animals belonging to you regardless of the cost) we need to protect them.

Is it a sport? I mean it can certainly be a competition, I don't think it has to make it a sport, but that being said, I wouldn't really argue with someone who wanted to call it. I completely agree many people obviously don't do it as often because they need too (though hunting deer does help them from becoming over populated, which I know in Michigan can be a real problem). Many animals people hunt they are not eating/only hunting for "fun".

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Southern_Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
I think it is different though when you are eating them which your family does and are killing them to protect the animals on your ranch. It is not, hey let me kill this coyote for the fun of it, but hey, these are a danger to our very expensive animals (or animals belonging to you regardless of the cost) we need to protect them.

Is it a sport? I mean it can certainly be a competition, I don't think it has to make it a sport, but that being said, I wouldn't really argue with someone who wanted to call it. I completely agree many people obviously don't do it as often because they need too (though hunting deer does help them from becoming over populated, which I know in Michigan can be a real problem). Many animals people hunt they are not eating/only hunting for "fun".
I mean I wouldn't call hunting for fun "sport" hunting but rather like trophy hunting. But even still like some of the trophy hunts my dad has gone on he still brings back the meat. Like he has hunted both and moose before and he has mounted them but he still brought back a bunch of meat and gave even more away to the locals around the camp.
Like I even remember him hunting a bear with my uncle and us eating bear meat. (which is really spicy)

So i guess it really depends on like what your defination of a sport is
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #7
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
I mean I wouldn't call hunting for fun "sport" hunting but rather like trophy hunting. But even still like some of the trophy hunts my dad has gone on he still brings back the meat. Like he has hunted both and moose before and he has mounted them but he still brought back a bunch of meat and gave even more away to the locals around the camp.
Like I even remember him hunting a bear with my uncle and us eating bear meat. (which is really spicy)

So i guess it really depends on like what your defination of a sport is
But I personally wouldn't call trophy hunting a sport. Just because you can get a trophy from it doesn't make it a sport. Not all competitions are sports.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:08 PM   #8
Southern_Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
But I personally wouldn't call trophy hunting a sport. Just because you can get a trophy from it doesn't make it a sport. Not all competitions are sports.
so waht are some competitions that are not sports???? and i wouldn't call it a sport either, most trophy hunters bait and dont actually hunt
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:18 PM   #9
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
so waht are some competitions that are not sports???? and i wouldn't call it a sport either, most trophy hunters bait and dont actually hunt
lol well I was more comparing how non-athletic competitions, even if you get a trophy is not a sport. at least not an athletic sport, which is what we usually consider a sport. and it doesn't matter what trophy hunters do or don't do, I still don't consider a sport, like you don't seem to do either. Like I said, if someone wants to, I am fine with that. It is not something I would argue or try to take away from them. I personally just don't consider it a sport, even if there is a trophy or competition involved.

Racing is another example (more specifically NASCAR and similar). I personally do not consider it a sport. There is certainly a competition going on, most people can't do what they do, but it is not something I would consider a sport the same way I would football, baseball, basketball, hockey (most team sports) or even some of the individual ones.

Archy in general, can certainly be considered a competition, but like hunting, I would not consider it a sport. If someone wanted to, or considered car racing a sport, then that's perfectly fine, I just don't.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:48 AM   #10
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

I'm a Sport Management major and sport is defined as, "all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organized participation , aimed at expressing or improving fitness and mental well being, forming relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels".

I would say that hunting and fishing qualifies.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 05:59 AM   #11
Southern_Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I'm a Sport Management major and sport is defined as, "all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organized participation , aimed at expressing or improving fitness and mental well being, forming relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels".

By that defination I don't think that they are now, there is no real aspect of competition

at least you don't really have like hunting competitions, with fishing you do, and maybe alligator hunting too
Old February 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM   #12
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post

so if you sit in a chair and wait for the deer to come, that's a sport? I it a sport because you had to walk to where the chair was? because you had to old something in your hands?

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:41 PM   #13
Dmaxd123
Member++

i think hunting in general is a LOT more than sitting in a chair waiting for a deer (or other game animal)

yes you CAN just sit in the same stand year after year and with enough pressure from others be successful at putting meat in the freezer.

but there are a lot of people that hike miles just to get to their favorite hunting area, or backpack in, or track in the snow, follow hounds for miles... lots of different styles of hunting that require more mental & physical energy than sitting in a chair
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #14
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
i think hunting in general is a LOT more than sitting in a chair waiting for a deer (or other game animal)

yes you CAN just sit in the same stand year after year and with enough pressure from others be successful at putting meat in the freezer.

but there are a lot of people that hike miles just to get to their favorite hunting area, or backpack in, or track in the snow, follow hounds for miles... lots of different styles of hunting that require more mental & physical energy than sitting in a chair
so If I go on a 20 mile hike, that's a sport? by that logic, any activity that requires any physical movement whatsoever could be considered a sport.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:54 PM   #15
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I honestly never thought about hunting as a sport. For me it's just an outdoor activity that provides us with food.
I have been on numerous hunting trips with my family...mostly deer but also alligator and stuff.
My Dad also likes fishing but I am not too thrilled by it but yeah. Guess you could see fishing as a sport more since there are quite a couple of competitions.

I used to do shooting itself as a sport, however and I have gotten quite good at it but I still prefer doing real sports like football.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:04 PM   #16
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

Quote:
By that defination I don't think that they are now, there is no real aspect of competition

at least you don't really have like hunting competitions, with fishing you do, and maybe alligator hunting too
It just has to be one of the things listed to qualify

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #17
jock_buddy10

Name: Matthew

My dad and I mostly fish when we go camping
jock_buddy10 is offline   Reply With Quote