Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 25th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Name: Macks
Default Do I have a problem?

Hello. I'm 13 and 95 pounds. I always think of myself as fat, even though my parents say I'm not. I never take my shirt off around people because I feel insecure. I'm not sure whether I have a "eating disorder" or not. Please tell me if I do or don't! I never thought I would get any use out of this sub-forum...but I guess I finally am.

Please help.

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator
Bagels are actually fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
8:12 PM [Magus] Latah is a great singer.
8:12 PM [Magus] The real singer.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Thelizardqueen

Thelizardqueen's Forum Picture

Name: Sarah
Default Re: Do I have a problem?

Well, your age says nothing...while 95 pounds seems very low for a 13 year old, do you know your height? I'm pretty sure you're underweight though. Obviously if you think you're fat you have a poor body image (and it doesn't seem possible that you could be fat, even if you were very very short), and that's an issue in itself. You didn't mention your eating habits though--did they lead you to your low weight, or are you just underweight without trying to be?
Thelizardqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #3
shadowhunter320
Member++

shadowhunter320's Forum Picture

Name: ArchAngel

You're light bro, I'm 13 and 130, I'm very very masculine though, and alot of my body weight is muscle. 95 is still like 20 pounds under average. I can't say for sure but you definately do not sound fat. Have confidence, you are who you are. Embrace it

Nothing is real if reality is a dream.

the blind eye never lies, but the normal eye never sees.
shadowhunter320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelizardqueen View Post
Well, your age says nothing...while 95 pounds seems very low for a 13 year old, do you know your height? I'm pretty sure you're underweight though. Obviously if you think you're fat you have a poor body image (and it doesn't seem possible that you could be fat, even if you were very very short), and that's an issue in itself. You didn't mention your eating habits though--did they lead you to your low weight, or are you just underweight without trying to be?
Ok, thanks for the quick response. Now I believe that the fact that I changed to being a vegetarian about 4 months ago may have led to this. Also, I am 5' 2". I don't know if this is Normal, what do you think?

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator

Quote:
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #5
MalditoDia
Member++

MalditoDia's Forum Picture

Name: Dayo

I may not know you but from reading this i just wanna say you are not fat. why do u feel insecure?

Honestly, If your not being yourself then your nobody.
Lovatic for life.
MalditoDia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

95lb at 5"2 gives you a BMI of 17.2. A BMI of below 18.5 is considered unhealthy, however this can depend from person to person. Either way you are certainly not fat.

Now is this fear of being fat effecting your eating habits? And if so, how?

Bad self-image in it's self is not an eating disorder but it can cause one, and it may be worth getting help for. If you can stop an eating disorder before it starts then you will save your health, both mental and physical.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Thelizardqueen

Why did you become a vegetarian? Being vegetarian is actually a healthy choice, however if you did it only to lose weight, you've lost too much, especially if you never had the need to lose any. Plus, many vegetarians (me included haha, although I'm not underweight like you) are bad about trying to make sure they get the nutrients that aren't gonna come as easily if you don't eat meat. If you're sure you're healthy as you are, although you're underweight, I'm not going to say you HAVE to gain weight, but you shouldn't try to lose anymore and you need to realize there is nothing wrong with your body.
I'm glad you've realized that you might have a problem now, instead of before you're in the hospital (because if you think you need to lose weight still, and lose too much, that's what's going to happen). I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful, you can always talk to me if you need to, I have some issues with eating and body image too, the difference is I'm not skinny like you haha So be glad, because you probably look great.
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelizardqueen View Post
Why did you become a vegetarian? Being vegetarian is actually a healthy choice, however if you did it only to lose weight, you've lost too much, especially if you never had the need to lose any. Plus, many vegetarians (me included haha, although I'm not underweight like you) are bad about trying to make sure they get the nutrients that aren't gonna come as easily if you don't eat meat. If you're sure you're healthy as you are, although you're underweight, I'm not going to say you HAVE to gain weight, but you shouldn't try to lose anymore and you need to realize there is nothing wrong with your body.
I'm glad you've realized that you might have a problem now, instead of before you're in the hospital (because if you think you need to lose weight still, and lose too much, that's what's going to happen). I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful, you can always talk to me if you need to, I have some issues with eating and body image too, the difference is I'm not skinny like you haha So be glad, because you probably look great.

Well, thank you for the last part

I became a vegetarian because I had a really bad experience at a burger joint...

I'm certainly NOT trying to lose weight, I just noticed yesterday when I stepped on the scale that I was 95 lbs. It shocked me, because last time I checked I was about 105-110 lbs. Is this something I should do something about? Maybe get some protein powder or something?

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator

Quote:
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Obvious View Post
Well, thank you for the last part

I became a vegetarian because I had a really bad experience at a burger joint...

I'm certainly NOT trying to lose weight, I just noticed yesterday when I stepped on the scale that I was 95 lbs. It shocked me, because last time I checked I was about 105-110 lbs. Is this something I should do something about? Maybe get some protein powder or something?
If you're not trying to lose weight then no, you do not have an eating disorder. If you're eating enough and healthily then 95lb at your height is not a bad thing. Some people are just naturally a low weight. If you're being healthy, that's all that matters.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #10
shadowhunter320
Member++

shadowhunter320's Forum Picture

Name: ArchAngel

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the quick response. Now I believe that the fact that I changed to being a vegetarian about 4 months ago may have led to this. Also, I am 5' 2". I don't know if this is Normal, what do you think?
5'2" is a little short. you'll prob hit a huge growing spurt soon!

Nothing is real if reality is a dream.

the blind eye never lies, but the normal eye never sees.
shadowhunter320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #11
Invincible
Member+

Invincible's Forum Picture

Name: Nub

I've been there and through that too. You'll probably experience a growth spurt sometime - remember to maintain a consistent and healthy diet and sleeping habit. You'd be blown away by the wind if you were any smaller.

And the shirt - been through that stage too. Harden up buddy. Everyone out there is built like you are. You don't go to the zoo and see a monkey covering his bits up because he thinks he's fat.
Invincible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #12
The realist
Member+

The realist's Forum Picture

Everyones different bud
The realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Thelizardqueen

I'm glad you weren't trying to lose that weight then, and so you probably don't have an eating disorder. Be careful though anyway since you already said that you think you're fat anyway, even if you're not doing something dangerous because of that, you shouldn't feel like that and I hope you get better about it
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #14
flumeendeavors

flumeendeavors's Forum Picture

Name: Brooke

Hello dear, i think i can help you out with this seeing as i seem to have a bit more knowledge on eating disorders than the rest of the people replying to this.
An eating disorder is considered a situation where you purposefully try to lose weight. Although, you may think of yourself as fat, it is not considered an eating disorder. Being a vegetarian has hardly anything to do with your weight, although it does bring your weight down some, but not by much.
It really depends on the severity but by you saying you think you're fat, you could possibly have Body Dysmorphia Disorder. This is commonly mistaken with Anorexia or Bulimia, but it's nowhere near the same disorder. Body Dysmorphia Disorder means that, while you may be underweight, you still see yourself as fat.
The only way you could be classified as having an Eating Disorder is if you engaged in the habits of restricting calories, fasting, bingeing, or purging and in some cases, extreme exercise .. but all of these things are done with the INTENT to lose weight.

Dear, you do not have an eating disorder. I assume you might just be going through some pre-adolescent angst, but if it's worse than i read about, then at most, you would be considered as having BDD. NOT an Eating Disorder.

If you need to talk, you can always PM me. <3 xx

Swim for the music that saves you, even when you're not so sure you'll survive. -Jack's Mannequin

http://www.flumeendeavors.tumblr.com

Brooke:.
flumeendeavors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Rapp
Junior Member+

Name: Daniel

hello just wanted to add to all this useful info, that youre going through a growing process now, or in the near future (puberty/growth spurt) as you grow upwards, you will stretch,inessense, and become skinnier. at 13, 95 pounds is slightly underweight id say. but it also depends on your lifestyle. if you eat all your nutrients that you need daily, and get regular physical activity, you have nothing to worry about. youre not fat my friend dont feel insecure, approach your size, and show it off like you have nothing to worry about. which you dont
Rapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Triceratops
VT Lover

Quote:
Hello. I'm 13 and 95 pounds. I always think of myself as fat, even though my parents say I'm not. I never take my shirt off around people because I feel insecure. I'm not sure whether I have a "eating disorder" or not. Please tell me if I do or don't! I never thought I would get any use out of this sub-forum...but I guess I finally am.

Please help.
You're just 13 years old and you're at a really light weight and yet you think you're fat. Yes there is a problem here.

Low body confidence isn't an eating disorder though.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote