Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1
chelsay13
Member+

chelsay13's Forum Picture

Name: Chelsea
Default How Can You Cut Yourself?

i mean, why? it hurts. and using a knife to cut yourself is horriable.
chelsay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
SirRawrsalot
Nice Poster

SirRawrsalot's Forum Picture

Name: Elliot
Default Re: How Can You Cut Yourself?

you don't understand. People who self harm are in mental distress. They've been molested or raped or abused or are just chronically depressed. Cutting takes their mind off the mental pain and concentrates on the physical. It eventtually becomes an addiction.

~Elliot~

Follow my Tumblr if you like
SirRawrsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3
MrPinnick17
Member++

MrPinnick17's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Geek View Post
you don't understand. People who self harm are in mental distress. They've been molested or raped or abused or are just chronically depressed. Cutting takes their mind off the mental pain and concentrates on the physical. It eventtually becomes an addiction.
A bit on the extreme side but mostly true. Not all victums of self mutilation have been in a serious situation or are mentally unstable. Some just want attnetion, others feel like it's a pan they can control when everything around them seems so chaotic, other don't even know why they do it.

I think people cut because they believe it causes relief, it's like drugs, they try it and convince themselves it makes them feel better. But it doesn't cause much relief, they trick them selves into thinking it does.

Regardless, letting it all out to someone who you can trust might have the same effect, there are other outlets for stress relief besides cutting.

If anybody needs someone to talk to, PM me, i'll listen.
MrPinnick17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
crash007
Junior Member+

I dont understand it either but I was talking to my friend last night and he said that it does hurt a little but he got used to it and it works really well on him when he wants to relieve stress and is depressed. I think you would really have to be in someone that cuts' shoes to understand what they are going through.
crash007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #5
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

The natural reaction to finding out that people do this is to label it as "crazy" or something along those lines because it's an extreme behaviour and you don't understand how someone can do that to themselves.

It is difficult to explain because there are many different reasons that people have that have driven them to it. One common underlying factor that they all seem to share is that they can't really cope with the situation they are in or the emotions they are experiencing in a healthy way. It can become a deadly addiction, as someone else has also said.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Mr. Smithers
Banned

Name: August

Its a way of expressing yourself. Not understanding is a good thing. It may help you to not join. People who have been through a lot in life. From deaths, to problems at home, to drug abuse and such. They use cutting as a way of letting it all out. Sort of like crying. That the pain helps them through. There is help for this though.
Mr. Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison

Some people I know do it as a way of control. Their life is spinning out of control and they can't do anything about it. Yet pain is the only thing they have power over. And they need that power to feel secure.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote