Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Talking Breaking: Trump's summit with Kim Jong Un set for June 12 in Singapore

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...dent-says.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxNews
The summit is set.

President Trump tweeted Thursday that his "highly anticipated meeting" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will take place in Singapore on June 12.

"The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th. We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!" Trump tweeted.
Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:58 PM   #2
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Re: Breaking: Trump's summit with Kim Jong Un set for June 12 in Singapore

A little piece of advice here, FoxNews not the most reliable source out there.

Its great they are finally figuring that out, the denuclearization of North Korea won't happen unless the US agrees to leave NK alone and not try to overthrow Kim Jong Un. Obviously what is happening with the Iran deal and Trump's history and reputation both in politics and business doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

Default Re: Breaking: Trump's summit with Kim Jong Un set for June 12 in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
A little piece of advice here, FoxNews not the most reliable source out there.

Its great they are finally figuring that out, the denuclearization of North Korea won't happen unless the US agrees to leave NK alone and not try to overthrow Kim Jong Un. Obviously what is happening with the Iran deal and Trump's history and reputation both in politics and business doesn't help.
Most of the mainstream media is a lot more bias than Fox, but I'm not saying Fox isn't bias. Just not as much.
Well, I think not renewing the Iran 'deal' helps, but this isn't the place for debate, since I think we may enjoy that, if you would like to participate in one, please pm me I would like to set one up on 'rambling if the wise'

I'll answer anything, and I'm up for a chat. pm me
My Blog
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold, is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Thomas Jefferson
"If you got it flaunt it ;p"-Alex1s
Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #4
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Most of the mainstream media is a lot more bias than Fox, but I'm not saying Fox isn't bias. Just not as much.
Well, I think not renewing the Iran 'deal' helps, but this isn't the place for debate, since I think we may enjoy that, if you would like to participate in one, please pm me I would like to set one up on 'rambling if the wise'
I'm not trying to debate the Iran deal here. No matter what you think of the deal. Trump just leaving it because of his policy of everything Obama did is bad, does not help the confidence other countries can have in the US to respect their deals and to not undo everything the last guy did when the other party gains power

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Quote:
Trump just leaving it because of his policy of everything Obama did is bad,
It seems like the only reason Lefties want it is because of the policy that everything Obama did was perfect. I could list off many problems with the Iran deal, from continued ballistic missile development to ultimately just delaying Iranian nuclearization. You are going to need to provide a bit more evidence that this repeal is just some petty vendetta by Trump.

Quote:
does not help the confidence other countries can have in the US to respect their deals and to not undo everything the last guy did when the other party gains power
Well, that is the cost of over-depending on executive power, which is that the next guy can easily revoke it with a swipe of a pen. Perhaps if Obama worked with Congress on the deal, instead of going it alone, we would still be in it. That's really the reason why so many of Obama-era regulations and policies are being so easily thrown-out by Trump, he depended too much on executive power rather than legislative. If Obama actually wanted other countries to be confident that the USA was in the deal, he would have actually worked with the elected representatives of the USA, instead of a small group of unelected bureaucrats.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #6
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

On the (unrelated) topic of the Iran deal, whether you agreed with it or not the EU and fellow UN nations who are also in this deal have confirmed on multiple occasions that Iran has kept their side of the deal. That's why the rest of the security council and EU have kept to the deal even despite Trump's move to pull the US out of it. Also, if Trump is as amazing of a businessman and negotiator as he claims, why could he not have negotiated a better one? If he deserves a Nobel Prize for his amazing contributions to the Korean peace talks, Iran should be a piece of piss.

Back to the topic at hand, it's wonderful that these talks are taking place though it should be interesting seeing how it turns out, especially if he's planning to carry out a state visit to the UK the day after. If he doesn't do much good, he won't get a good welcome.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
It seems like the only reason Lefties want it is because of the policy that everything Obama did was perfect. I could list off many problems with the Iran deal, from continued ballistic missile development to ultimately just delaying Iranian nuclearization. You are going to need to provide a bit more evidence that this repeal is just some petty vendetta by Trump.

Well, that is the cost of over-depending on executive power, which is that the next guy can easily revoke it with a swipe of a pen. Perhaps if Obama worked with Congress on the deal, instead of going it alone, we would still be in it. That's really the reason why so many of Obama-era regulations and policies are being so easily thrown-out by Trump, he depended too much on executive power rather than legislative. If Obama actually wanted other countries to be confident that the USA was in the deal, he would have actually worked with the elected representatives of the USA, instead of a small group of unelected bureaucrats.
You of all people should know by now I have a lot of criticism for Obama. This thread is not about how good or bad the Iran deal is or how the abuse of power of the president. So I'll leave it to that.

Quote:
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
You of all people should know by now I have a lot of criticism for Obama.
A lot of convenient criticism, definitely.
Quote:
This thread is not about how good or bad the Iran deal is or how the abuse of power of the president. So I'll leave it to that.
Of course, you are the one who brought it up (for reasons I can't understand besides attempt Trump bashing) so I'll let you conclude it.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #9
hayley2003
Member++

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley

so he going to do all by himself in one day?
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:40 PM   #10
the_power_slave
Nice Poster

the_power_slave's Forum Picture

Name: eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley2003 View Post
so he going to do all by himself in one day?
a moment sucneficent in the grand scheme of world piece, not world piece it's self.
the_power_slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:15 PM   #11
hayley2003
Member++

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeam View Post
a moment sucneficent in the grand scheme of world piece, not world piece it's self.

what does 'sucneficent ' mean?
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #12
the_power_slave
Nice Poster

the_power_slave's Forum Picture

Name: eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley2003 View Post
what does 'sucneficent ' mean?
A: sound it out, B:*significant
the_power_slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #13
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
A lot of convenient criticism, definitely.

Of course, you are the one who brought it up (for reasons I can't understand besides attempt Trump bashing) so I'll let you conclude it.
I brought it up to say that Trump's policy of everything Obama did is bad might hurt the confidence other countries may have in the US and in this case the fear that when the next democratic president gets into office he won't just leave the deal like Trump did with Iran, or Paris or NAFTA. That could lead to other countries being reluctant to make deals with the US.

Quote:
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:20 PM   #14
HeyCameron
Member++

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

Looks like this meeting might fall apart:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/w...el-summit.html

Of course Kim is just looking for any excuse to cancel it. I hope it actually happens, but if NK does cancel it, it wouldn't surprise me if they never had any intention of having the meeting from the outset.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:38 PM   #15
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
Looks like this meeting might fall apart:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/w...el-summit.html

Of course Kim is just looking for any excuse to cancel it. I hope it actually happens, but if NK does cancel it, it wouldn't surprise me if they never had any intention of having the meeting from the outset.
He's not looking of an excuse to cancel the meeting, its a negotiation technique. They kinda have a point, why would they denuclearize without receiving anything in return?

Quote:
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:58 PM   #16
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

I doubt North Korea is going to cancel the negotiations, not at this point. This is just them sending a message to the world that they want something in return at the negotiations. I'm not sure what it could be, perhaps the US distancing military support and protection from South Korea, but that could be a Trojan horse tactic to make it easier for North Korea to militarily pressure South Korea into complying. But I don't really know, I'm far from any expert on this sort of thing.
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:10 AM   #17
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
I doubt North Korea is going to cancel the negotiations, not at this point. This is just them sending a message to the world that they want something in return at the negotiations. I'm not sure what it could be, perhaps the US distancing military support and protection from South Korea, but that could be a Trojan horse tactic to make it easier for North Korea to militarily pressure South Korea into complying. But I don't really know, I'm far from any expert on this sort of thing.
NK could fear the exact same thing from the US and South Korea if the Us doesn't pull out of the region: that they will take advantage of the ceasefire to invade the North and topple the Kim regime. That's what makes negotiations so difficult: someone has the trust the other first.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:06 PM   #18
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

I don't know if its a day I'm looking forward to or one that I'm dreading....only time will tell.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:58 AM   #19
HeyCameron
Member++

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

Wow, I really thought Kim would be the one to cancel it.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/24/p...rea/index.html

I was hoping this meeting would happen, but didn’t really expect it to.

I spent a year suspended in air
My mind on the gap, my head on the stairs
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #20
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
Wow, I really thought Kim would be the one to cancel it.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/24/p...rea/index.html

I was hoping this meeting would happen, but didnt really expect it to.
Well, regarding the letter from the White House, if North Korea were so benign, the West, especially the US would not go nuts every time North Korea does a nuclear test.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote