Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM   #61
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie
Default Re: Ban the terms 'noob', 'n00b' etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
That was accepted and implicit in the very post that you quoted. I know that and why should they?
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to imply here. You just don't seem to grasp the point that everyone is trying to make to you that not everyone will agree with what you have to say.

Quote:
Like I've said, and earlier in the thread too I think, its not so much about the word as that a subcommunity is singled out as being somehow lesser citizens.
No one is being singled out. The content of someones post means more than status. Whether they're new or not, it's a word. No one really cares about it.

Quote:
Well, if as some people have suggested, they dont see it that way themselves and its just me, then fair enough, silly me.
Then why continue to make smart ass comments and continue with this thread. Not everyone is going to like your suggestions.

Quote:
But to me its like the big kids in the school picking on the first years and I just dont like it.
Why? You're in no way even close... The term n00b doesn't even apply to you. Why get so defensive?

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #62
Cloud
Godliest God of all

Name: Calum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel_Liriel View Post
Nick you've just basically proven your inability to debate and take into consideration ALL viewpoints by once again ignoring that which doesn't suit you to reply to. tbh until you can put up both hands and say i have addressed all points then your point is invalid as you're repeating your point over and over in different contexts which people have already shown you is flawed in every dynamic. it is downright rude to everyone who made a good point to be completely ignored.

+rep for anyone who raised a good point as you deserve recognition. this may take a few days with rep restrictions
Repeating the same point is never a good way to bring people to your side of view
as is going for you.
now im sure nicks had enough of a heckling over this tonight so how about we leave him to answer matts post, and then let the thread die
we all know the suggestion wont happen theres been enough opposition to prove that so why prolong the thread

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few-Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction
Oh of course. I so want you now.

~Laura was here~
~Jessi wasn't here but she should have been ~
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #63
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel_Liriel View Post
it is downright rude to everyone who made a good point to be completely ignored.
I missed your replies to Trae and Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
You just don't seem to grasp the point that everyone is trying to make to you that not everyone will agree with what you have to say.
Really? That's not right, its you that dont seem to grasp the point that I know not everyone agrees and why the fuck would I expect that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
now im sure nicks had enough of a heckling over this tonight so how about we leave him to answer matts post, and then let the thread die
we all know the suggestion wont happen theres been enough opposition to prove that so why prolong the thread
Well that's true and its 2:52am here so no more from me tonight.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM   #64
Deschain
Peach Plum Pear

Deschain's Forum Picture

Name: Sweet Pea

Nick if you look down at the related threads box, there are threads titled "Hi n00b here" in the introductions forum.

It's obviously not a bother if they THEMSELVES acknowledge their n00bhood.

It may appear to be belittling them, but it's the same as calling a new police officer a rookie. We're obviously a tight knit community. And I'm sure new members who attempt to become apart of it can see that. And they are accepted as responsible, mature members. Just like me, you, and the rest of us.

They only people who see it as offensive are people who are causing mischief, or stick to the puberty forums. And they generally leave after answers have been provided to their queries.

Just let it go, man.

~Lawrence~

~Laura was here~
For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #65
Tiberius
Awesome Poster

Tiberius's Forum Picture

Name: Tiberius

Quote:
I have read everyone's answers. Nobody has said anything that counteracts my personal view which is that comments like that in the shoutbox look bad and unwelcoming to new members. I understand what other people have said but my view is still the same.
If it is so unwelcoming to new members, then explain to me why this site keeps growing at a ridiculous rate, oh wise one.

Quote:
Really? That's not right, its you that dont seem to grasp the point that I know not everyone agrees and why the fuck would I expect that?
By the way, Nick, I find that statement to be rude and harmful to site moral. I'd like statements like that to be banned and I'd also like the work "fuck" to be banned.

Vestri Pessimus Nocturna Suppressio
~Laura was here~

Last edited by Tiberius; August 24th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #66
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen

the term 'n00b' and the alternate versions of that term is a universal online term for being new in a place, especially online forums. i've been refered to as a n00b before and have refered to myself as one in certain contexts since i have been here. in nearly 3 years on vt staff have i ever received a complaint regarding the term n00b. i've observed a number of new members refer to themselves as a n00b and even some have used it as their intro thread title. in my opinion banning this would be over sensitive. i see where you are coming from nick, but i on't support this idea.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #67
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale

AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture

Name: Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDreamer View Post
Now, was this Really necessary? I see it as slightly bashing...
Did you read the post? This is really a false accusation.

Quote:
I've just expressed an opinion. OK, so its a minority opinion maybe but that's no reason to attack me over it. It genuinely offends me to see shoutbox comments like that, I dont see its right to be rude to new members.
Words are only words, you give them the meaning.

It seems to me that you think of this word as derogatory, but you personally find it offensive.

Everyone, EVERYONE is a noob at some point. Which that means being new, and not knowing how the "system" works. It's a mental state which we all go through, until we figure how the internet - a place that has no relevance to real life, by the way - works.

To ban a word is just seriously going over the edge, like said many times before, we are not the internet police. and the internet is not SRS BSNS

I'm sorry Nick but you need to toughen up, not take everything as a personal attack, and realize the internet is not a friendly place, made of flowers and rainbows.

It has its good, and its bads. The only way to survive in it, it's to just deal with it.

You made a valid suggestion, but that suggestion doesn't have to be approved because one member out of many doesn't like it.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #68
Aspiringanonymous
Awesome Poster

upon OP request
Closed Thread