Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 18th, 2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Rationallity

Rationallity's Forum Picture

Question College?

Is anybody else considering a path other than college? If so, why?

(You can stop here if you want because I'm just ranting from here on out.)

I feel guilty because I go to one of the top schools in the country and don't want to throw away the opportunity that it represents. My parents aren't the type to hover over my education or pressure me about finding schools, but it's kind of always just been assumed I'm going to college. I'm not one of the kids that just hates learning and want to quit it all. I have decent grades, am advanced in my science and math courses, and love learning. The one big thing is the amount of work there is. I find it nonsensical to go to school for 7.5 hours a day just to come home and do hours of homework everyday including the weekends. To top it all off, I barely learn anything at school. I am a very self motivated learner and have surpassed my science and history courses at home. I just feel the return on the amount of work I'm doing only shrinks. I am not prepared to give up the little freetime I have left to push into straight A's and without them I can't reach the career prospects I want. My plan as it stands is to transition into an independent study course and finish school. With my new freetime I will increase the hours I work and save up all the money I can. When I am 18, , I want to buy a house (There are ways) and get into real estate.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thanks!
Rationallity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 06:18 AM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Default Re: College?

interesting rant. I'm in my senior year at high school soon and also have a bunch of courses at a college, this year on a advanced university level, they said. Also there are several extra-curricular activities and projects I've to face to get my grades.

So I suppose it will not be an easy year till I graduate. But after all, most of the courses are based on self-organized studying in different study groups, so you can freely manage the time to learn stuff, as long as you come to a common consensus within your mates of your study groups. But with a strict time management you still can save a certain amount of personal leisure time anyway.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

I’m going to be a senior in high school. The career path I ultimately want to go to requires a college degree. However, I have been actively considering going into the military before or after I go to college.

I think you should talk to a counselor at your school about how you feel. It’s probably a lot from stress and lack of time, so if you can fix those or work around your schedule to get to what you enjoy doing and seeing friends, you’d probably feel a lot better about going to school. I know because I was the same! I got really bad junioritis and I got to the point where I was going to start skipping school, despite my good grades, but I didn’t because I have a goal and I have friends that helped relieve the stress of school life

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #4
Rationallity

Thanks for the advice! I've also considered the military but I think that would just be a step too far for my parents.
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:03 AM   #5
nickole999

I hope to go to college, but I am too young yet to make a final decision
nickole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2018, 02:18 AM   #6
Thomas Down

My dad says you need a degree to make a living in real world. Even though I don't agree with him completely, I feel college might be the right way. Exciting times ahead!
Thomas Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Second Chance
Great Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationallity View Post
Is anybody else considering a path other than college? If so, why?

(You can stop here if you want because I'm just ranting from here on out.)

I feel guilty because I go to one of the top schools in the country and don't want to throw away the opportunity that it represents. My parents aren't the type to hover over my education or pressure me about finding schools, but it's kind of always just been assumed I'm going to college. I'm not one of the kids that just hates learning and want to quit it all. I have decent grades, am advanced in my science and math courses, and love learning. The one big thing is the amount of work there is. I find it nonsensical to go to school for 7.5 hours a day just to come home and do hours of homework everyday including the weekends. To top it all off, I barely learn anything at school. I am a very self motivated learner and have surpassed my science and history courses at home. I just feel the return on the amount of work I'm doing only shrinks. I am not prepared to give up the little freetime I have left to push into straight A's and without them I can't reach the career prospects I want. My plan as it stands is to transition into an independent study course and finish school. With my new freetime I will increase the hours I work and save up all the money I can. When I am 18, , I want to buy a house (There are ways) and get into real estate.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thanks!
I am assuming you're at one of those really nice prep schools or go to a high school in a really wealthy area of the country. What I can say is that college is not for everyone, and I seriously doubt every single person who graduated from your school has gone onto university. It sounds like you're more of a visual learner and someone who learns by doing as opposed to sitting in a classroom learning by theory. All I can say is that you need to have a definite plan with your life especially if you are getting close to graduation. I doubt you can live with your parents indefinitely, and whatever career option you choose you must make sure it can not only help you to survive but also thrive.

I agree with the person above who said that talking with your school counselor is a good first step to figure out what you want to do. If you more or less know what career you want to enter, then shadowing someone in that field or working for an internship in that field is the way to go.

As for military service, if you have an honest interest in it, then you should pursue it if you feel that it would give you focus. It is always scary for a parent to know that a child is in harm's way, but in the end of the day it is your life for you to make your choices good, bad, or ugly.
Second Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2018, 04:06 AM   #8
Rationallity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
I am assuming you're at one of those really nice prep schools or go to a high school in a really wealthy area of the country. What I can say is that college is not for everyone, and I seriously doubt every single person who graduated from your school has gone onto university. It sounds like you're more of a visual learner and someone who learns by doing as opposed to sitting in a classroom learning by theory. All I can say is that you need to have a definite plan with your life especially if you are getting close to graduation. I doubt you can live with your parents indefinitely, and whatever career option you choose you must make sure it can not only help you to survive but also thrive.

I agree with the person above who said that talking with your school counselor is a good first step to figure out what you want to do. If you more or less know what career you want to enter, then shadowing someone in that field or working for an internship in that field is the way to go.

As for military service, if you have an honest interest in it, then you should pursue it if you feel that it would give you focus. It is always scary for a parent to know that a child is in harm's way, but in the end of the day it is your life for you to make your choices good, bad, or ugly.
I have a few meetings with my councilor coming up and I'm going to discuss the options with him. My school is actually a public charter school. I really didn't want to come off as super privileged which is another reason why I hesitate leaving because I was really lucky to get here in the first place. IDK. Thanks for the advice!