Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 10th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #1
renewedflame

renewedflame's Forum Picture

Default Interesting Article

Sexuality determined by nature or nurture? Fruit fly gives the answer

By Tom Anderson

The long-running scientific debate about whether homosexuality is determined by nature or nurture is dramatically closer to resolution after new scientific evidence was published yesterday.

Biotechnologists have found evidence that sexuality is, after all, determined by genes and not environment. Researchers discovered a single "switch gene" that swaps the sexual orientation of males and females.

In the research, published yesterday, genetically altered male fruit flies spurned females and became attracted to other males. Genetically altered females engaged in complex male mating rituals, vibrating their wings, licking other female flies' genitalia and curling their backs ready for copulation. They rebuffed males that tried to mate with them.

The heated debate about the nature of gay sexual orientation has divided opinion for decades, with many gay men and women saying that they were born homosexual. Anti-homosexual activists say that gay sexual orientation is learnt and can be "cured" with psychological help.

The paper's lead author, Barry Dickson, senior scientist at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna, said: "We have shown that a single gene in the fruit fly is sufficient to determine all aspects of the flies' sexual orientation and behaviour," he said. "It's very surprising."

Dr Michael Weiss, chairman of biochemistry at Ohio University, was as surprised at the findings. "It seems that none of us chooses our sexuality. It just happens. The results are so clean and compelling, the whole field of the genetic roots of behaviour is moved forward tremendously by this work," he said.

"Hopefully this will take the discussion about sexual preferences out of the realm of morality and put it in the realm of science."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=644275
renewedflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Anonymous
Unregistered

i disagree! one of my sister's friends is gay. he was sexually abused by his dada as a kid and says that is why he is gay. he was stright until he was 14.
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #3
DeAd To ThE wOrLd
Banned

DeAd To ThE wOrLd's Forum Picture

I think it's too different for different people to say "this is the reason why people are gay..." For some it just comes naturally, for others it is influenced by an event from their early years.
DeAd To ThE wOrLd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Jordan-Civ3 Master1991

I agree with DTTW

No there are four of us Kennies soul is still trapped inside Cartmans body.
Jordan-Civ3 Master1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Dante
Legendary Member

I think people are born gay...I know many gay people and they say they were born gay, they said that they wouldn't choose to be that way, iits just what they're attracted to.

If Any Member needs to talk to me about anything, Just PM me, the door is always open.

My blog: Blog...
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
boognish
A Pleaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconfusedone
i disagree! one of my sister's friends is gay. he was sexually abused by his dada as a kid and says that is why he is gay. he was stright until he was 14.
i agree with the findings, you know extreme stress can change how a person acts and reacts not just on the inside but the outside to. plus there is no sure fire way to know if he wasnt gay before he was abused. he might have never noticed. i never did, im bi. also on a side note, the govn't tried to make a really stupid bio genetic bomb. it was going to release a gas that would alter the enemy soldiers dna, make them homosexual and extremely horny, it was dubed "the love bomb" so the enemy soldiers would be to busy fucking to fight. but they never got a gas that could alter our dna like that. plus the have singled out the part of your dna that decides your sexual orentaion. pretty soon tests could be done on newly born babys to tell the parent if the child is gay/straight/bi or could develop mental problems, or become criminals or murders just by our dna

My Views Are Odd, I am Accutally a Republican
i dont suffer from insanity, i enjoy it
i swear to drunk im not god

pm me if anyone needs any kind of help, i probly know the answer you seek
i got a new email...
its gmail! it is: [email protected]
boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:52 AM   #7
DeAd To ThE wOrLd
Banned

DeAd To ThE wOrLd's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by boognish
plus the have singled out the part of your dna that decides your sexual orentaion. pretty soon tests could be done on newly born babys to tell the parent if the child is gay/straight/bi or could develop mental problems, or become criminals or murders just by our dna
No good can come of that, surely! It would just bring about more abortions because the parents found out their child might be gay and in some peoples opinion "an abomination of God"!! That's just wrong!!!
And anyway, the whole criminal thing is largely environmental so it couldn't work for that!
DeAd To ThE wOrLd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:25 AM   #8
boognish
A Pleaser

not necsearily, that was thought about being gay, and that isnt reall the case anymore.....also because of that fact the child would only be diagnosed on request and before the age of 1 so that the child can be moved to an environment to keep the child from going mass murder

My Views Are Odd, I am Accutally a Republican
i dont suffer from insanity, i enjoy it
i swear to drunk im not god

pm me if anyone needs any kind of help, i probly know the answer you seek
i got a new email...
its gmail! it is: [email protected]
boognish is offline   Reply With Quote