Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 6th, 2019, 09:24 AM   #1
logan2002
Nice Poster

Name: logan
Default Captain Video

I have one teacher that shows a movie a week. Some times we have a worksheet with it. Some times it is Remember the Titans, or a movie like that, and we have to write about what we learnt from it. Do you have any lazy teachers like this. This is a social study class.
logan2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 01:52 PM   #2
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Captain Video

Whats lazy about it?
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #3
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Maybe he grew up that way.

In premedial times (the times before the post-helicopter parents era) parents put their kids in front of the TV and had the TV parenting their kids.

At low cost, this meant efficient use of the expensive device and a certain amount of free time for the parents.

Of course, there were side effects. Donald Trump became President, elected by those, now adult, kids. And Trudeau visited India confusing India with Bollywood or Disneyland.

TT: In Media and Art classes, we watched some movies and discussed it after writing essays about it.

During social study classes we just watched documentaries now an then and had a discussion or two afterwards.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Ragle
Nice Poster

Ragle's Forum Picture

Name: Elgar

never had such a teach. but I wish ... would be fun in maths.

Last edited by Ragle; September 6th, 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Ragle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Our PE teacher (coach) is lazy. Sometimes we catch him sleeping in his office while we are outside or in the gym usually on our own.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 10:57 AM   #6
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Social Studies takes in a lot of
history and geography. A lot of
old or even new movies are
historic and if the teacher
wants u to watch or read
this then I wouldn't consider
the teacher lazy.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I never had a teacher that did that exclusively as a teaching method.

Movies shown in class had to get permission slips and they were used as a treat.

My junior history teacher used a documentary series called “the century” to cover a century’s worth of US history, but he was quite engaged and quizzed is weekly and assigned readings paired well with the video content shown in class.

There’s a huge difference between teachers who throw movies at classes, and those who use them correctly to teach. You can tell because the teacher will know their stuff if you ask questions or challenge them on ideas or faults in logic.

Demographics also show that older people voted for Trump by the way, so that would be Gen X, Baby Boomers, and The greatest generation.

I think the populace being ignorant to how business and politics works (maybe because US history teacher quality is inconsistent nationwide) creates these issues.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #8
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

I had a teacher of religious studies a number of years ago now who used to show a documentary every couple of weeks. It's not lazy to use video to teach, in fact it offers different points of view and perspectives.

Whilst we are on the topic of lazy teachers, I had one who just made us read the textbook and fill in a sheet after each section. Every lesson, three times a week, and I'd say about 80% of the lessons with him were like that. Thank god I only had him for a year!

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected] ē PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 04:19 AM   #9
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

We had a teacher that put on a video every lesson.
InternetTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

2 years ago my english teacher grammary class consisted in her giving us like 15 exercises to do at home, and spend the hour in class correcting them, with never explaining the lesson.
When I asked her 'do you not explain the lesson during class?' All she answered was 'well if I explain and a student doesn't understand and I have to explain them again, we will never have the time to correct the exercises'
I replied a student will always have more chances to understand a lesson if they get explained at least once rather than never at all, but she didn't like it
Oskarr-Padawan-2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Adamant
Awesome Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

We have video clips a lot or bits of DVD but noot often whole films. I guess it depends why you are seeing it and what you have to do about it afterwards. We have done some stuff on religion in the media so you need to see some. Also for drama we need to analyse scenes.
Just videos does sound like a boring waste of time though....but at least better than Oscar's Engliish lessons
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:56 PM   #12
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskarr2005 View Post
2 years ago my english teacher grammary class consisted in her giving us like 15 exercises to do at home, and spend the hour in class correcting them, with never explaining the lesson.
When I asked her 'do you not explain the lesson during class?' All she answered was 'well if I explain and a student doesn't understand and I have to explain them again, we will never have the time to correct the exercises'
I replied a student will always have more chances to understand a lesson if they get explained at least once rather than never at all, but she didn't like it
Iíve always thought teachers should just make a YouTube channel and go over correct answers and let you do that at home and give the students the link to their educational YouTube channel.

Prob solved and they only have to do it once if they reuse the same worksheet packets every year for different kids.

But does anybody listen to that suggestion.....no.
Old November 8th, 2019, 01:08 AM   #13
Sere
Member++

Sere's Forum Picture

Name: Sere

We had this a bit in my old school.
Our PE teacher and my English teacher would show us movies and then have us do work/papers on them.
Usually the teacher would pass out or just leave the class.
Boring but easy work I guess
Sere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:15 AM   #14
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
I’ve always thought teachers should just make a YouTube channel and go over correct answers and let you do that at home and give the students the link to their educational YouTube channel.

Prob solved and they only have to do it once if they reuse the same worksheet packets every year for different kids.

Maybe because this method sucks...
As I said, a student will always have more chances to understand a lesson that a teacher explains rather than by just reading a book or listening to a video. They can ask questions directly to the teacher and benefit from questions asked by other students. The more interactive a class is, the more efficient.
On a video you can not interrupt the teacher and ask him to reexplain what he just said. If you have to ask him through a youtube comment or something and wait until the next day to get your answer, that's not gonna work
Old November 8th, 2019, 09:21 AM   #15
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
As I said, a student will always have more chances to understand a lesson that a teacher explains rather than by just reading a book or listening to a video. They can ask questions directly to the teacher and benefit from questions asked by other students. The more interactive a class is, the more efficient.
On a video you can not interrupt the teacher and ask him to reexplain what he just said. If you have to ask him through a youtube comment or something and wait until the next day to get your answer, that's not gonna work
But it frees up classtime to do the explanations, and do corrections on a studentís own time.
Old November 18th, 2019, 05:15 PM   #16
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Iíve always thought teachers should just make a YouTube channel and go over correct answers and let you do that at home and give the students the link to their educational YouTube channel.

We had a teacher that would record YouTube videos on how to do Maths problems and questions. I thought it was quite useful.
InternetTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Yo man everyone learns differently right?
So teach is trying to grasp all the class by different means
Maybe you already got the lesson and understood, thatís awesome if you did.

But the teacher needs to teach to the lowest denominator. So if you got it, already, and perhaps you watched the movie ďThe TitansĒ
Maybe you didnít learn all you shoulda woulda coulda huh?

Quote:

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
Yo man everyone learns differently right?
So teach is trying to grasp all the class by different means
Maybe you already got the lesson and understood, thatís awesome if you did.

But the teacher needs to teach to the lowest denominator. So if you got it, already, and perhaps you watched the movie ďThe TitansĒ
Maybe you didnít learn all you shoulda woulda coulda huh?
I didn't get a word of what you mean...

Everyone learns differently => yes, absolutely.
So?
How will replacing a teacher in class by a video improve things?