Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 139 13.43%
Atheism 312 30.14%
Buddhism 12 1.16%
Christianity (Please Specify) 412 39.81%
Hinduism 9 0.87%
Islam 33 3.19%
Judaism 17 1.64%
Wicca 17 1.64%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.12%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1421
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי
 
deadpie's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damien Ark
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Location: IA
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 12
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360922 View Post
I much prefer this one:
Yeah, because putting things in demotivators make things SOOO halarious. This is pure sarcasm.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1422
Commander Thor
Awesome Poster
 
Commander Thor's Forum Picture
 
Name: Brandon
Join Date: May 9, 2008
Location: Upon My Chariot
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirr0rz View Post
I don't understand that. How can you not know if you believe or not? Either you believe in God or you don't; I don't see how there's a middle ground.
Here's a better explanation of it.

The theist will say, without a doubt in his mind, that "yes, indeed God does exist."
The atheist will say, "no way in hell that a God exists, it's just not possible!"
The agnostic will say, "I don't have the evidence to either confirm or deny the existence of God." or something similar.

GovChat Operator
Commander Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #1423
INFERNO
Awesome Poster
 
INFERNO's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 27, 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirr0rz View Post
I don't understand that. How can you not know if you believe or not? Either you believe in God or you don't; I don't see how there's a middle ground.
There can be a middle ground when one is searching for a belief after abandoning a previous belief. Alternatively, one can have a philosophy of life they adhere to but begin questioning whether certain events are due to a higher being or not. When their philosophy does not provide a suitable answer, then one questions their view on life as well as whether a higher being exists.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1424
wtrocks
Junior Member+
 
wtrocks's Forum Picture
 
Name: Conor
Join Date: May 9, 2010
Location: In my imagination
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Well, lately my religious views have been conflicting, because I was wiccan, but after discovering spiritual satanism, my entire perspective of everything spiritual has been thrown off balance. So for now, ill label myself as agnostic.
BTW in case someone jumps to conclusions and labels Spiritual Satanism as the Christian's version of worshiping evil and sacrificing goats and what not, and calls me evil for considering it, hold up. Cuz that's not the case. Also, spiritual satanism differs from Anton Lavey's version of satanism.

I am Conor, my fave poet is Edgar Allen Poe, and my favorite past time is looking up at the sky and daydreaming.
*)
..*) .*)
(. (.` Peace, Love, Happiness!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allan Poe
wtrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1425
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי
 
deadpie's Forum Picture
 
Name: Damien Ark
Join Date: August 27, 2009
Location: IA
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 12
Default Re: Religion




This is how I kind of feel about prayer. It's pretty much mental masturbation in my opinion- it just makes you feel better for the time being and it's simple to do.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #1426
kingpinnn
Member
 
kingpinnn's Forum Picture
 
Name: Michael McCarthy 16
Join Date: June 15, 2009
Location: winningvill
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

that is probably the best explanation ever
kingpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #1427
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I agree. A while ago (whilst I was an agnostic), I had a horrible cold and my voice was terrible. I decided to pray to God to ask him to help me get over it (not sure whether or not doing so would be effective). And what happened the next day? It got worse. What a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1428
CaliKid24
Member++
 
CaliKid24's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jake
Join Date: May 23, 2010
Location: San Diego
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

i believe in a God. but i dont believe in religions.
CaliKid24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #1429
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Then why do you believe in 'a god' or 'God' (whichever you believe)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1430
Apparitions
Nice Poster
 
Apparitions's Forum Picture
 
Name: Dan
Join Date: February 25, 2009
Location: South London, England
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Then why do you believe in 'a god' or 'God' (whichever you believe)?
I'm guessing he doesn't like organised religion. What does he believe his God is then?

Apparitions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1431
notanorchestra
New Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2010
Location: United States of America
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I guess I am agnostic, or Buddhist without the spritual concepts. I don't really know if there is or isn't a higher power, therefor I will not claim that I know that there is one. I find all religions ignorant, because there is no proof at all. Whether you believe in the Big Bang theory, that does not explain where the stars/ planets/ whatever came from for this to happen. Evolution does not explain the origion of the universe.

I think that if you have a sincere belief in something (religiously), it is true. If one sincerely believes that they will stay in the ground and rot after death, and their soul with die with them, then that will happen. If one believes their soul will go to the Christian Heaven, then that will happen.

"I didn't find God and he didn't come looking for me, but someone showed me Minor Threat and that was plenty good enough for me."
notanorchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1432
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
I think that if you have a sincere belief in something (religiously), it is true. If one sincerely believes that they will stay in the ground and rot after death, and their soul with die with them, then that will happen. If one believes their soul will go to the Christian Heaven, then that will happen.
I sincerely believe that when I die I am going to explode with the force of an atom bomb. This doesn't make it true.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1433
INFERNO
Awesome Poster
 
INFERNO's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 27, 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
I guess I am agnostic, or Buddhist without the spritual concepts. I don't really know if there is or isn't a higher power, therefor I will not claim that I know that there is one. I find all religions ignorant, because there is no proof at all. Whether you believe in the Big Bang theory, that does not explain where the stars/ planets/ whatever came from for this to happen. Evolution does not explain the origion of the universe.
Evolution in no way is meant to explain the origin of the universe. It assumes the universe began through some way and that the planets, starts and other astronomical features were made somehow. It only begins either at chemical evolution or biological evolution.

The Big Bang Theory works with scientific explanations for the formation of starts, planets and such. It does not directly explain it but it does explain how the components or resources got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
I think that if you have a sincere belief in something (religiously), it is true. If one sincerely believes that they will stay in the ground and rot after death, and their soul with die with them, then that will happen. If one believes their soul will go to the Christian Heaven, then that will happen.
Just to understand you, you believe that just through immense rehearsal of one's beliefs, their beliefs will be manifested in reality? Do you extend this rationality to events that occur within our lives? The best example would be of the sci-fi novel and movie, The Sphere, where the researchers enter "the sphere" and discover through events that their thoughts are being physically manifested.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #1434
Sith Lord 13
The Force
 
Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture
 
Name: Alex
Join Date: March 28, 2010
Location: NYC
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Just to understand you, you believe that just through immense rehearsal of one's beliefs, their beliefs will be manifested in reality? Do you extend this rationality to events that occur within our lives? The best example would be of the sci-fi novel and movie, The Sphere, where the researchers enter "the sphere" and discover through events that their thoughts are being physically manifested.
I love that book!

/off topicness

If you ever need to talk, you can PM me. I can't promise I'll solve your problem but I'll do my best to help.
"You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!" - Han Solo
Awesome People: Country-Cowgirl, Goose, RodeoGirl, Maliza, ShatteredWings Thanks to Kaius for the awesome sig.
Puppy <3 Kitty
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Kaius10/Alex-1.png
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1435
notanorchestra
New Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2010
Location: United States of America
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
I sincerely believe that when I die I am going to explode with the force of an atom bomb. This doesn't make it true.
Perception is reality. A great philosopher once said "I think, therefore I am." This means that you can only be sure of your own being, and your own thoughts. We only really see things because we percieve them as real. However, when someone percieves something differently, we consider that insanity, a different religion, or really a number of different things. There are physical boundaries to this (if you percieve that a deadly chemical is water and you drink it, you will die), but that does not mean in the case of an afterlife that one thing cannot happen. There is no known universal reality in the case of afterlife, so it is what you percieve.
There are an infinite number of perceptions of the universe. Think of it like the butterfly effect. In each alternate perception, one small change in action may have caused this giant chain of events, and even though we here see what is happening here, who can say what is going on in these alternate universes? Only those who do percieve the universe in alternate forms.
I may, in the event of my death, percieve myself as completely dead, in the ground, with no life at all, while a devout Christian may percieve me as someone in Hell, because I have no belief in a God.

Personally, I like to think of afterlife as meditation.
It is your own. Everybody reaches a meditative state differently, and through meditation, people percieve things differently.
Death is whatever you make it, so then life is also.

Because you make your death to be an explosion, you will explode. Other people may not percieve your explosion as reality, however you do, and that is really all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Evolution in no way is meant to explain the origin of the universe. It assumes the universe began through some way and that the planets, starts and other astronomical features were made somehow. It only begins either at chemical evolution or biological evolution.

The Big Bang Theory works with scientific explanations for the formation of starts, planets and such. It does not directly explain it but it does explain how the components or resources got there.



Just to understand you, you believe that just through immense rehearsal of one's beliefs, their beliefs will be manifested in reality? Do you extend this rationality to events that occur within our lives? The best example would be of the sci-fi novel and movie, The Sphere, where the researchers enter "the sphere" and discover through events that their thoughts are being physically manifested.
What I was trying to say about the Big Bang Theory and evolution is that they are not really that explanatory. They still leave the most important question left unanswered-- how did the universe start?

I cannot really say if I know what The Sphere is, because I haven't heard of it. But basically, what I said above is what I am talking about.

I can go into more depth, but that requires a discussion of quantumphysics and I need to track down some information I read from Stephen Hawking if I want to go into that. I just had a conversation about this today with my friend Charles, who is probably the most intelligent person I know, and he holds this same idea, but he just happens to be a ton more educated in the subject than I am.

"I didn't find God and he didn't come looking for me, but someone showed me Minor Threat and that was plenty good enough for me."
notanorchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1436
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
What I was trying to say about the Big Bang Theory and evolution is that they are not really that explanatory. They still leave the most important question left unanswered-- how did the universe start?
If you truly feel the need to ask that question, than you do not understand teh big bang theory because it has already answered that question. All the matter and energy form which this universe is made has always existed because matter is eternal - it is neither created nor destroyed. Since everything has gravity, all the matter could have been forced together allowing the big bang to start. I won't go into the details about how the big bang works, because you have already read up on it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #1437
INFERNO
Awesome Poster
 
INFERNO's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 27, 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
What I was trying to say about the Big Bang Theory and evolution is that they are not really that explanatory. They still leave the most important question left unanswered-- how did the universe start?
As said before, evolution is not aimed at explaining how the universe started so I still do not know why you continue to use it in here in this context. If you're going to do that you might as well drag in a theory of social deviance because it's just as irrelevant. Continuing to use it only shows you have little knowledge of basic scientific theories, which carries into the next part of your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanorchestra View Post
I can go into more depth, but that requires a discussion of quantumphysics and I need to track down some information I read from Stephen Hawking if I want to go into that. I just had a conversation about this today with my friend Charles, who is probably the most intelligent person I know, and he holds this same idea, but he just happens to be a ton more educated in the subject than I am.
Before either of us go into quantum physics level of detail, you keep asking how the universe formed in reference to the Big Bang Theory. This is a redundant question because if you know what it means, you know how it attempts to explain it. However, as mentioned above with your persistence to include evolution, it demonstrates you don't understand some of the fundamental scientific theories, and so I'm wondering do you actually understand what the Big Bang Theory is without going into quantum details?

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #1438
Sith Lord 13
The Force
 
Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture
 
Name: Alex
Join Date: March 28, 2010
Location: NYC
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
If you truly feel the need to ask that question, than you do not understand teh big bang theory because it has already answered that question. All the matter and energy form which this universe is made has always existed because matter is eternal - it is neither created nor destroyed. Since everything has gravity, all the matter could have been forced together allowing the big bang to start. I won't go into the details about how the big bang works, because you have already read up on it, right?
Actually, no. The big bang only goes back to the big bang. Scientists know that there was something before this. They just have no clue what. They have no clue what caused the big bang. God is one possible answer to that question.

PS. Yes, there is the theory of the big crunch, but that only sends us back farther, not to the beginning.

If you ever need to talk, you can PM me. I can't promise I'll solve your problem but I'll do my best to help.
"You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!" - Han Solo
Awesome People: Country-Cowgirl, Goose, RodeoGirl, Maliza, ShatteredWings Thanks to Kaius for the awesome sig.
Puppy <3 Kitty
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Kaius10/Alex-1.png
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1439
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I wouldn't be surprised if universes existed before the Big Bang, but can there ever be a beginning? I'm sorry, but even the 'explanation' or God does not mean that he was the beginning since he would need a creator and so on and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1440
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess
 
Magus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Fae, The Witch
Join Date: February 22, 2010
Location: The Guild Of Archmages
Age: 26
Gender: Transgender MtF*
Blog Entries: 13
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I'm sorry, but even the 'explanation' or God does not mean that he was the beginning since he would need a creator and so on and so forth.
This is what I call as x^y, where (y) = x^x^x^x...

If God was there, who created that God? And that God is there, then who created that God? It goes on, and so it rounds up into one. Why not?
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org